News   Jul 25, 2024
 719     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 653     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 499     0 

Bathurst Streetcar

how about all the way up to eglinton.... could connect with the lrt line there...

Why? There are tracks on Bathurst to St.Clair, but none to Eglinton. At Bathurst and St.Clair there is a subway station with a tracked indoor bus/streetcar terminal providing greater connection opportunities, at Eglinton there is an underground LRT with a different track gauge and no bus terminal.

There would be more of a case to make Spadina streetcar underground, north of Queen.

Spadina at least has its own ROW... It may not work but it exists. Spadina should have the lights changed to priority lighting but I dont see a need under ground. However Bathurst has to deal with traffic and would move faster underground...

I also think that Queen, King, College, between Bathurst and Jarvis should all be underground.... Id prefer that then a DRL... But Id TAKE both or the DRL if I didnt have a choice.

Why? There are tracks on Bathurst to St.Clair, but none to Eglinton. At Bathurst and St.Clair there is a subway station with a tracked indoor bus/streetcar terminal providing greater connection opportunities, at Eglinton there is an underground LRT with a different track gauge and no bus terminal.

Thought about it and I agree. Just like the idea of more lines connecting making less transfers needed... But the bus termianl at St Clair makes the difference.

I had always thought that the TTC should switch sides at the Bathurst Station. Currently, the streetcars use the west side of the platform and the buses use the east side. With the longer new streetcars coming, it would make more sense for the streetcars to use the east side, and the buses the west side.

Of course, if the Bathurst streetcars are sent up to St. Clair West, it would become moot.

bathurst_st.jpg

I had always thought that the TTC should switch sides at the Bathurst Station. Currently, the streetcars use the west side of the platform and the buses use the east side. With the longer new streetcars coming, it would make more sense for the streetcars to use the east side, and the buses the west side.

While the platform size itself might make it more reasonable to switch sides, how would that impact the routing of the streetcars?

As it is now, they come north on Bathurst and then turn less than 45 degrees to slide into the station. They then have a not-to-taxing two turn loop to head back south.

Were they to use the other side of the platform, they would have to enter from the top of the loop, make a tighter turn at the bottom of the platform and then, more importantly, cross the northbound tracks upon leaving the station to head south.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...271,-79.411441&spn=0.001323,0.002427&t=h&z=19

Just seems to be adding more complexity and potential for problems.

Of course, if the Bathurst streetcars are sent up to St. Clair West, it would become moot.

The streetcars would probably pull into Bathurst Station anyway if it continued up to St. Clair West, especially since it would be pulling into a fare paid zone and for a more convenient transfer.

+0.5

I don' t think it needs to be underground - I think it's one of the faster streetcar routes in my experience. But bustitution means more vehicles necessary to transport the same amount of people, and these vehicles will take up two lanes through weaving in and out of traffic.

Given that there is an acute shortage of streetcars, and buses to spare, I thing bustitution is a good plan for the short term. That means we will have extra streetcars to do better service on King, Queen, and Dundas.

The streetcars would probably pull into Bathurst Station anyway if it continued up to St. Clair West, especially since it would be pulling into a fare paid zone and for a more convenient transfer.

If the Bathurst streetcar should continue up to St. Clair West station, a streetcar transfer platform at the Bathurst station, like the old Bloor transfer platform, could be used so they don't have to turn off the road. Just have a shift in the roadway for the traffic. A loop for short turns could remain.

s0381_fl0291_id11718-1.jpg

The tracks are damaged and hence in need of another construction which will cost TTC some more money that will lead to increase in yet another TTC price hike.

I agree with you completely. What the TTC needs to do is build shit that never breaks. Why is this city so badly planned?

Back