News   Jul 25, 2024
 749     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 670     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 509     0 

Bathurst Streetcar

^that would be one heck of an expensive transit project for admittedly very little gain. Sandwiched as it is between the Yonge and Spadina lines, a Bathurst LRT would make very little sense.

If the 1950's and 1960's was not so automobile oriented, the Bathurst streetcar could have continued up Bathurst Street to Steeles Street. Today, there will be NIMBY's galore coming out if they suggested that.

However, with the Eglinton Crosstown LRT getting a Notice of Completion of Environmental Project Report, having the Bathurst streetcar continuing up to Bathurst and Eglinton could be looked at by providing rough-in connections. Who knows maybe a Bathurst LRT from Steeles to Eglinton could be part of a Transit City 2.0 expansion.

South of Wilson, Bathurst street is too narrow for a transit ROW. Streetcars in mixed traffic would be too slow, whereas tunnelling them would be prohibitively expensive.

However, Bathurst LRT can be considered for the northern section: starting at Wilson or Sheppard (dependent on the connection to subway), and up to Centre Street / Promenade Mall in Thornhill. The street there is wide enough for LRT ROW plus two lanes of traffic each way (a short stretch just north of Wilson might be tight, but can be tunnelled if necessary). And, the northern section of Bathurst actually has much more density than the Bloor - Wilson section. The Bathurst / Steeles area, and the western side of Bathurst almost all the way to Finch, host a lot of highrises.

Does anyone know if the track is actually currently used for moving streetcars to and from St. Clair? If so, then why would it be a problem to use streetcars on it for actual transit?

Of course it is, that's how streetcars get to St Clair as it's the only link between St Clair and the rest of the network. The tracks were actually all replaced last year and go past the big TTC shops at Bathurst/Dupont. That said, I cannot see any real reason why streetcar service could not be offered on this stretch of the street, if the demand is heavy enough and the TTC has enough streetcars. About 2 years ago I was waiting at King and Bathurst and a St Clair streetcar came along, en route to start the shift. The driver gladly took me and one other person to St Clair station.

yes, why don't we just go with the flow and do whatever the politicians think will help them get votes politically and just trash innovative thinking and creative new ideas.
It;'s politically impossible not because of politicians, but because the hundreds of businesses and residents who make King & Queen streets into the destinations they are, would never allow them to be converted to one-way streets. And for good reason.

Of course it is, that's how streetcars get to St Clair as it's the only link between St Clair and the rest of the network. The tracks were actually all replaced last year and go past the big TTC shops at Bathurst/Dupont. That said, I cannot see any real reason why streetcar service could not be offered on this stretch of the street, if the demand is heavy enough and the TTC has enough streetcars. About 2 years ago I was waiting at King and Bathurst and a St Clair streetcar came along, en route to start the shift. The driver gladly took me and one other person to St Clair station.

I have heard that the CLRV's have a bit of trouble using the hills when fully-loaded. But how did the Peter Witt's (and trailers) handle the hills on Bathurst, Avenue Road, and Yonge Street?

Drivers will only be able to access their business coming from one direction, for starters. If these streets were slums, then change might be advantageous. But they're the some of the most vibrant parts of the whole city. Throwing this away would accomplish what, exactly? A DRL subway brings all the benefits without re-arranging successful neighbourhood.

Drivers will only be able to access their business coming from one direction, for starters. If these streets were slums, then change might be advantageous. But they're the some of the most vibrant parts of the whole city. Throwing this away would accomplish what, exactly? A DRL subway brings all the benefits without re-arranging successful neighbourhood.
A) Why should building the DRL and optimizing surface transit downtown preclude each other?
B) Why would changing the traffic direction "throw away" said vibrancy?

A) Why should building the DRL and optimizing surface transit downtown preclude each other?
B) Why would changing the traffic direction "throw away" said vibrancy?
a) they don't, unless optimizing means converting the streetcars into express streetcars. Which is how I interpreted his proposal.
b) it might, and it might not. Every business survives or dies due to environmental factors. If the area is highly successful, then changing these environmental factors should be approached with a lot of caution. On the other side of the coin, Lower Hamilton has exactly the opposite problem.

a) they don't, unless optimizing means converting the streetcars into express streetcars. Which is how I interpreted his proposal.
Without advocating removing stops, I don't see how his plan suggests changing the streetcars to express. Allowing the streetcars to not get stuck behind traffic and minimizing bunching, does not an express make.

b) it might, and it might not. Every business survives or dies due to environmental factors. If the area is highly successful, then changing these environmental factors should be approached with a lot of caution. On the other side of the coin, Lower Hamilton has exactly the opposite problem.
Fair enough, though I still consider the chances that a traffic-direction change will deal permanent damage to a neighbourhood's vibrancy to be slim.

Id agree that a typical one way street wouldnt be good for the neighbourhood. however a one way street with transit ROW and larger sidewalks and bike friendly would maybe help the neighbourhoods. or at least be nutral but with better transit.

Back