News   Apr 23, 2024
 264     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 466     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

Interested, I fail to see what you mean by streamlined if the actual client was paying unless you mean to say they'll cut corners. I have no doubt of that. But to your other point, would you want your lawyer to cut corners? Do you presume that this seller would have even made what they did had I cut corners?

And to the other point you're trying to make. That was a purchase not a sale, you opted to use that person whose brokerage had a contract with the seller to receive either X commission if a different buyer brokerage was involved or X commission if one was not. That has entirely nothing to do with the amount of commission you think she earned. That's the seller's choice. If that unit had been sitting on the market for nine months listed by that REALTOR would you be advocating she be paid more? I don't think so.

And by the way, the sellers did buy with me and to give just a small sampling of costs. 752 kilometers, 15 properties, 3 offers, another $500 for a decorating consultation, three trips to the lawyer's office, several conversations with him plus another dozen or so emails and a few more conversations when the search on the first accepted offer turned up a whopping lien registered on title the day after the offer was accepted. Four days later we had to kill the deal. Seller sued the party placing the lien on the property, it took them a year to clear it up.

The lien was so absurd it made the newspapers - twice, for the first court case and again after the appeal.

I was going to answer your other post on fiduciary duty but I'll simplify it here instead.

Your lawyer can never opt out of fiduciary duty. That REALTOR you used was reduced to limited fiduciary duty meaning that all the negotiations, decisions, choices were yours and the seller's to determine on your own because she is not allowed to give negotiating advice to either party. Hire a mere listing brokerage and they opt out of all fiduciary responsibility.

It's all relevant you know interested, you can choose to complain about a REALTOR who makes $35 bucks an hour for their time spent because the total bill amounts to 12 grand, but I've yet to see anyone complain about the $750 fee to post a mere listing and establish all the necessary office paper work all of which takes no more than 2 hours.

Look, I really hold no grudge against anyone who chooses to either sell privately or opt for reduced services. Just as I don't care if someone prefers to shop at Loblaws or No Frills. You can hire a lawyer to close a deal for $500 or for $900, a travel agent to book your trip to Europe or to do it yourself online, a trader for your stocks or seek out your buddy's online expertise, an insurance broker who collects between 12 and 18% commission every year on your premium or go direct and think you're saving money but the insurance carrier is keeping that 18% fee. What I don't understand is why when consumers have these choices they insist on telling people that the amount of money others are freely paying them is more than they're worth.

We're not forcing you to hire us.

I do believe Interested, that the fsbo seller I mentioned couldn't look either me or my sellers in the eye and tell us the commission they paid wasn't worth it. But you are.

ISYM,
Thank you . You just made my point with your example. I am sure that 130 hours spent if the actual client was paying would have been stream lined.
I bought in Florida in our building calling up the agent to put in the offer. Time spent. 1 hour. Commission to my agent (her share over $10K) 1 hour.
I knew which building and which unit I wished. Waited a year. When a unit acceptable came up, I called the agent and told her to put in the offer.
I understand that your client may have never bought.
My point is that one should pay for service that one receives, not justify having those who actually use the service responsibly pay an excessive amount to "make a reasonable income" available to the realtor. While I appreciate realtors as everyone else need to make a living, the housing market does not exist primarily to serve this purpose.

As for your more accurate numbers, I will not dispute them other than to say that everyone else who runs a business has seen expenses rise. In many cases, people are making less than they were before take home. I am not saying this is right, just saying it is happening. There are obviously cases where people are making way more e.g. Bank Chairmen .

You have with due respect misinterpreted my thought process when you suggest that I do not allow for rising costs or for a cost of living increase for the realtors.
However, I feel the defense is a little too spirited and clearly is hitting a nerve so I will simply apologize to you for causing the grief.
Suffice to say that we can play with the numbers all we wish. I could provide numbers that would counter yours. One thing you did not mention which is worthy is that real estate is a business conducted at night and weekends (as well as weekday daytime hours) and there is a tremendous sacrifice in that regard by those in the field.

^^^
ISYM,
I feel in fairness to those on the forum here we should cease this discussion or move it to another more appropriate thread.
Frankly, I have said as much as I would wish about the subject.

I respect your opinion but the examples used are extreme in my view and not indicative of the reality of the majority of sales. The fact I am quite sure though I have no figures to back this up; is most people buy a house with the realtor spending far less than 130 hours of realtor's time. I mean based on a 40 hour week you are suggesting by this example the realtor is working 8 hours/day for 16 and 1/4 days to complete each sale. I simply find it incomprehensible to believe that this is "reality".

Frankly every other person I meet wants to become a realtor as they feel the pay is discommensurate with the training and expertise required. Clearly you practice at a very high level and provide a Cadillac service. The spirited defense while laudable I feel is totally tainted by you being directly affected by those of us who disagree with you. On the other hand, I do appreciate you standing up to defend your profession.

One final point about my personal purchase. I don't think I cut one corner. In fact, I would suggest that having researched up past sales and read a lot about the market, knowing the building I was purchasing in, I was far more informed than 90% of the realtors out there, at least as relates to our building. I bought 8 months ago and the property is worth about 20% more than I paid. I say this as I have received unsolicited offers to sell it since in this range. (It was not a short sale or foreclosure).

Anyhow ISYM, let's agree to disagree. I will say though based on your example I would be honoured to have you working on my behalf based on what you did for your other client.

you can choose to complain about a REALTOR who makes $35 bucks an hour for their time spent because the total bill amounts to 12 grand, but I've yet to see anyone complain about the $750 fee to post a mere listing and establish all the necessary office paper work all of which takes no more than 2 hours.

I've always found that a bit funny too. $750 to fill out forms. Ouch.

I'm certainly not looking forward to forking over a percentage of my return if/when I sell my house and am definitely open to new compensation models. But I don't begrudge them a decent living - I'm sure there are lazy losers but all of the real estate agents I've known work all the time, constantly on call, nary a weekend to themselves. It's not a profession I'd want to be in. It's easy to argue that someone is overpaid for what they do when you're on the outside. Everyone thinks that everyone else is overpaid these days.

Let's get back to the "bubble":

Record low interest rates to remain into 2014, CIBC says

OTTAWA—The CIBC says Canadians may enjoy historically low interest rates into 2014.

The private sector bank released its new outlook for the global and Canadian economies, and all indicators point to weakening conditions and rising risks.

The bank says Canada’s economy will barely keep its head above water with growth rates of 2.1 per cent this year and next year, after growing 2.4 in 2011 and over three per cent in 2010.

The main reason, the bank says, is that the global economy will continue to slow, down to three per cent this year, the slowest pace of expansion since the recession.

As well, Canadian consumers are tapped out and governments are spending less.

With this backdrop the Bank of Canada will find it difficult to raise interest rates, says the CIBC, predicting it may wait until U.S. growth picks up sometime in 2014.

http://www.thestar.com/business/art...rest-rates-to-remain-into-2014-cibc-says?bn=1

I just hope it'll last till 2015 when I renew my mortgage..

Let's get back to the "bubble":

http://www.thestar.com/business/art...rest-rates-to-remain-into-2014-cibc-says?bn=1

I just hope it'll last till 2015 when I renew my mortgage..

You better hope it does not last. It would reflect that the economy is in the doledrums for yet another year.
While low interest rates are helpful in the short term, there will be a piper to pay later on. Rather, I would hope if I were you that the economy improves and if interest rates rise a bit, hopefully you will get pay raises and more people will be working (and maybe your mortgaged property will increase (further) in value as opposed to decreasing if the economy rolls along in the dumps.

Yes, thank you Interested, I think you picked up my undertone in my comment. The economy would be worse off overall while it may benefit some in the short run.

But for those who have been waiting in the sidelines to buy for the past 2 years, prepare to wait another 2 years. By that time, it might just fall back to the price you waited 2 years ago.

CMHC Housing Market outlook For The Greater Toronto Area

Condo price growth faces stronger headwinds
Despite the price and location advantages that should support a fairly stable outlook for condo demand, resale price growth will be challenged by increasing supply pressures.
Appreciation has already slowed considerably — the quarterly growth profile for prices has flattened out and annual rates are half the levels recorded during the past two years. A big factor has been the increasing number of units listed for sale as more projects are completed and registered. The demand response to these newer, higher-priced and often smaller units has been tepid, pushing unsold listings higher and softening overall resale conditions. As completions remain close to record highs (approximately 18,000/year) in the coming years, there will be limited potential for condo prices to rise by more than inflation.

Condo development set to gear down

The level of condo construction underway this year will mask the beginnings of a slowdown for the industry. Pre-construction activity will moderate as sales centre demand softens. With asking prices for new launches having escalated to an average of more than $600 per square foot in the first quarter (an extra $100 compared to two years ago)1, the prospects for past rates of appreciation upon completion to continue have dimmed. Market conditions for newly completed
resale units (discussed in the Resale Market section) are suggesting an average price ceiling for end-users of approximately $500 per square foot, which will be challenged to move higher as supply competition remains strong. As the slowdown in resale price appreciation becomes clearer in the months ahead, it will provide a signal to some buyers to resist purchasing at new project openings. Even those who buy with intentions of holding after completion should scale back as the up-front investment cost necessary to break even in the rental market has risen well above 20 per cent of the purchase price — the typical deposit that developers ask for.

Last edited:
^^^
Thanks klb86.
Where is Cityguy when you need him. It's the right time to buy! Go with the best.
Seriously though I believe that this suggests that 2010 prices paid will be the approximate worth in 2013-2015 when ready with no escalation (let alone soft costs if one were to sell which will probably make the investment in condos negative). Furthermore,
if there is price reductions, we could well see 2008 prices again as I postulated. I think those who have bought in 2011 and especially in 2012 will have to wait quite a few years to recoup the initial investment.

Ottawa tightening mortgage rules; no more 30-year amortizations

The Conservative government is moving to tighten Canada’s mortgage rules in the face of concern that some parts of the real estate market – particularly condos in Toronto and Vancouver – are overheated and that some Canadians are piling on too much debt.

Finance Minister Jim Flaherty is scheduled to make the announcement Thursday morning at 8:15 a.m. before markets open.

The minister will announce that the maximum amortization period will be reduced from 30 years to 25 years for insured mortgages. Also, the amount of home equity that can be borrowed will be reduced from 85 per cent to 80.

Chisholm Pothier, a spokesman for Mr. Flaherty, confirmed the two changes will be announced Thursday.

Given that the Bank of Canada is expected to keep interest rates low for some time as the economy shows little sign of a strong recovery, tightening the mortgage rules is one way of ensuring that Canadians don’t get in over their heads during this prolonged period of ultra low interest rates.

link to story

^^^
This will help. Problem is this still does not address the foreign purchasers risk described before, the extent to which no one is either acknowledging or truly knows.
None the less, I applaud this move for Toronto/Vancouver. Not sure it is really as important elsewhere in the country but on the other hand, real estate in other areas are more reasonable than in these markets.

The biggest problem with real estate is foreign investors. But of course, the government doesn't seem to care about that. How does this move stop the prices from ballooning up? Foreign investors are driving the market. I don't understand a lot of these new regulations.

A self-listed ad by the owner is just as good as any realtor-listed ad. I don't think any realtor could have done better than this:

Monestly Priced Home Very close to the Lake, Nice size lot

21728520-1.jpg

The Conservative government is moving to tighten Canada’s mortgage rules in the face of concern that some parts of the real estate market – particularly condos in Toronto and Vancouver – are overheated and that some Canadians are piling on too much debt.

Finance Minister Jim Flaherty is scheduled to make the announcement Thursday morning at 8:15 a.m. before markets open.

The minister will announce that the maximum amortization period will be reduced from 30 years to 25 years for insured mortgages. Also, the amount of home equity that can be borrowed will be reduced from 85 per cent to 80.

Chisholm Pothier, a spokesman for Mr. Flaherty, confirmed the two changes will be announced Thursday.

Given that the Bank of Canada is expected to keep interest rates low for some time as the economy shows little sign of a strong recovery, tightening the mortgage rules is one way of ensuring that Canadians don’t get in over their heads during this prolonged period of ultra low interest rates.

link to story

that just made monthly payments 11% higher, so a corresponding price adjustment downward will be needed to accommodate the same monthly installments as if the amortizations was 30 years.

Most concern to date has been price escalation at present in the precon market which is now pricing in $100-150 premiums over resale. Speculators buy this real estate as they can put small amounts down and lever this vs. resale.

End users can buy resale (or assignments if they wish new). There is evidence, at least one reads this, of discounting and incentives to sell precon. Also, just as in 2008-2009, we will hear (though it will be not publicized) or relaunches and outright shelving of proposed projects that do not sell the required 70-80% before construction. Unless "foreign buyers" make up 80% of the market and continue to buy in these markets, this will slow down the market. I also applaud the government for proceeding in small steps so as hopefully to avoid a huge correction.

However, the reality is that the 40 year zero down mortgage was the Conservative brain child and all they are doing is taking credit for reversing what in hindsight was a wrong decision.

If speculators/investors can't afford to buy with these new conditions so what frankly... if end users can't, maybe the reality is they should not be buying in these markets at this time. Home ownership while desirable, is a privilege, not a right. People will not get everything at 25 or 30 years of age. This is no different than previous generations. They will rent or buy outside the prime area or maybe we will see again basic condos without 9 foot ceilings, SS appliances, granite, marble etc.

One final thought...all those investors buying units of 300 sq.ft. if there is a glut on the market of condos I believe will have difficulty renting them out. While people live in these if forced, I believe if given the possibility of getting a 450-500 sq.ft. 1 bedroom or larger if there is a glut of supply as is expected, will choose these and the ultimate fallacy of catering to an investor market that figured it could flip or rent out these units will be exposed as a bad decision.

Back