News   Apr 24, 2024
 308     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 369     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 721     1 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

EzC46nLW8AMeaxG

I'm going to grab popcorn and maybe a plane ticket outta here when immigration hits 400k annually.
lol... , CHMC should sponsor an exchange programs for people priced out of Toronto , where you buy a plane ticket to where the immigrants came from and you buy a house over there , qualify for stress test and get mortgage hahaha..

I think 13-15 ft wide and 3 floors over a single car garage, and front entrance is a good model. With decks front and back or on top. Fills in a lot of old stock row houses from 100-120 years ago in TO, that are due for transformation.

I think 13-15 ft wide and 3 floors over a single car garage, and front entrance is a good model. With decks front and back or on top. Fills in a lot of old stock row houses from 100-120 years ago in TO, that are due for transformation.
I think 20' is livable. 13-15' is very narrow with interior stairs. For small units, you're better off with stacked towns or midrise/condo apartment. I don't see much point in townhouses that aren't 2+1 or 3 bed. 1 or 2 bed should just be stacked.

Let my clarify my earlier comment.
If infill on existing lots <15 ft wide between lot lines then I think the following model has merit.
Ground level, street entrance, foyer, closets, rear entry from single car garage.
2nd level, rear dining, rear deck, center kitchen w/island, front living room,
3rd level, 2 bedrooms/offices at each end, bathroom and laundry central,
4th level, master front with balcony, walk-in closet central, master bath rear.
Probably building footprint of 30 to 36 ft front to back, plus 6ft at front and 16ft at back for the lot.

Interesting to learn that over 1% of Canadians live in Hong Kong, and ~7% of HKers are Canadian.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. People who were expecting a crash for the past 10 years have completely misread the room. Record low interest rates around the globe, restrictive zoning policies in major cities, along with demand that is either flat or rising means housing prices are going nowhere other than sideways or up.

I think the following changes will help alleviate housing prices.

Municipal - Broad and substantive changes to zoning. In particular, I'd like to see zoning rules relaxed for the entirety of Toronto outside of sensible heritage preservation, housing-as-of-right allowances across most of the city for pre-definied density levels (midrise, missing middle), and promotion of greater density in individual developments that include affordable housing (paid for by condo fees, etc).

Provincial - Continue to improve and speed up the approval process for new developments, create a policy that speeds up approval for developments that meet or exceed architectural design baselines.

Federal - Continue to play around with interest rates to slowly reduce the "free money" floating around in the system.

I genuinely expect some serious unrest in the coming years if none of this is addressed. There is a growing and louder segment of the population that have become disollusioned with policy to date. Let's get some changes going before we start electing some racist, narrow minded future populist leader.

Presented without comment:

This is a market that is thriving in the United States. It was not unlikely for some operators to copy the model here in Canada, though I am skeptical of the strategy if Canadian-based Tricon is unwilling to do it in Canada despite becoming leaders in the space in the United States.

As for the narrative presented in the article, I don't feel the need to elaborate beyond what Tenblock's twitter handle articulated here:

1623637093795.png

I tend to agree with Tenblock's view. We own a condo because at the time we bought it, it made the most financial sense. It would be great if we had a healthy rental market of modern apartments and houses with corporate landlords, as renting from a stable owner would be my preferred way of accessing housing.

But most of the apartment rental stock is old and lacks modern amenities, and you can pretty much only rent a house (or part of one) from an individual landowner - and I've been screwed by that type of arrangement before, where the landlord tried to kick us out to sell the place less than a year after we moved in.

So while these operators contribute to the demand for owning houses, they also reduce it, since people like me will happily get out of the ownership game and rent from them.

Paywall as an FYI
Yup, but easy to get around if one is in the know :)

This is a market that is thriving in the United States. It was not unlikely for some operators to copy the model here in Canada, though I am skeptical of the strategy if Canadian-based Tricon is unwilling to do it in Canada despite becoming leaders in the space in the United States.

As for the narrative presented in the article, I don't feel the need to elaborate beyond what Tenblock's twitter handle articulated here:

View attachment 327782

I completely disagree with that take. Judging by the way they toss out words like POC, indigenous and "problematic" it seems like they're just hopped up on critical studies theory that's pouring out of the universities. Pure conjecture.

A dev buying up condos to rent out would be celebrated--lol what? Did they miss the tide of hatred rolling around for condo investors who snap up units to rent out? These guys are just hitting back using virtue signal words against an article attacking their industry. Toxic and disingenuous. Admittedly, that lede could be worded better.

Last edited:
Yup, but easy to get around if one is in the know :)
True. Though everyone is in their own individual situation, but if you're interested in understanding Toronto and being up to date on local developments, city council news, etc., a Toronto Star subscription is money very well spent.

True. Though everyone is in their own individual situation, but if you're interested in understanding Toronto and being up to date on local developments, city council news, etc., a Toronto Star subscription is money very well spent.
That's me to a tee! And yet I continue to access whichever Star article I like without paying. If they really cared about their subscription model and revenues, they wouldn't have made it so easy to overcome the wall. Just my two cents.

Back