News   May 03, 2024
 897     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 558     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 269     0 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

I rent in Toronto now and I intend to move back to the United States in a couple of years where housing and cost of living is much cheaper (thankfully I have the ability to live in both countries)... so there is some proof if you want it of someone young that is not putting money in this absurd housing market and renting instead. There is some long-term affordability issues in Toronto for young people with limited equity, many whom will decide to live elsewhere. Why would I let the elderly folks and speculators get rich off me? I am not going to be the fool holding the bag by overpaying for a garbage home in Toronto for 4-5 times what I would pay for the same thing in the United States. On top of that housing is illiquid, you cannot deduct mortgage interest, could be subject to a land transfer tax, tons of closing and loan origination fees, and property taxes are only going to go up when the development slows (which I think is inevitable as the market is slowing now and Ontario/Toronto has generous social programs that need to be funded). I don't see a crash happening anytime soon, but I also don't see Toronto as a place that I want to live in the future. You just don't get a good bang for the buck here.

None of what you say is wrong, but you need to take a much closer look at closing costs in the US (and property taxes) before going off half-cocked. However, the biggest question is 'where do I want to live'? The housing prices in my brother's neighbourhood in San Francisco are much higher than mine in Toronto. Sure, if you want to move to Buffalo or Detroit, it'll be much cheaper. But you'll be living in Buffalo or Detroit. I'd prefer Toronto real estate at a much higher price, as IMHO the value is much higher as well.

^^^
Dave,
My explanation would be that in such a low interest rate environment and low rental rates, people do not need to move unless they have had a personal situational change (move or job loss for e.g.).
One would simply not put their house/condo on the market.
Also, with new uncertainty, I think people are just electing to stay put. Hence sales volumes go down unless people get the price they want.
We would need to look at the Teranet numbers to decide if your narrative is correct, though certainly there is some logic to it. However, this will be ongoing. Next year if the numbers continue, 8 of 10 will sell with the crappiest of the ten still not selling and hence the "average price" will continue to remain elevated.

Exactly. 20% fewer buyers are willing to pay the price asked by sellers.

Who will budge first? Well, after 9 months of reduced sales, there is increased listed inventory, and presumably increased "soft" inventory that is unlisted. There are 10,000+ buyers who didn't buy over the past 9 months, yet the volume of buyers willing to pay the asking price has not increased. If these buyers weren't going to pay the asking prices when inventory was low, why will they pay when inventory is now higher and prices are unchanged (or up marginally)?

Ultimately my point is that the sales produce the "average" price data, not the other way around. If there are fewer transactions, and increasing supply(listed and unlisted)....

ps. Teranet's "paired sales" methodology nonetheless remains exposed to a similar product mix statistical bias as per TREB if the market volume is inconsistent during the time periods of the reported "paired sales"

Last edited:
This reasoning however excludes pent up demand. The longer those buyers don't buy, the more pent up demand there is. So I would not be surprised to see another pick up in sales yet. It is not out of the realm of possible.

that said, I agree with your point that the sales produce the average price data, and not the other way around.

One other thing. A lot of move up buyers will stay put in uncertain times. It is the high end that is not moving quite as well I believe at this time (and perhaps new buyers at the other extreme). Either way, it means people are not as mobile and those who can afford a higher price are not willing to take the plunge as readily at this time.

A stable decline is exactly what is anticipated and from what we are seeing so far in the first quarter of this year, that is what we are experiencing. One major aspect that many people have to keep in mind is that a stable decline does not necessarily mean prices of homes in Riverdale will tumble 20% but rather that their growth will decelerate. The rate of change in price will plateau and may even experience a slight downward trend but it most certainly won't be a huge drop. Sales volume is decreasing as sales prices are correcting (not decreasing). I surely wouldn't hold my breath on buying a detached house in the Annex for $500,000.

Imagine what would happen if house prices did tumble, say, 25%. Buyers will flock to the market to pick up these "great deals." What happens next is that the flock of buyers will start bidding up the house prices once again, probably even back to the price point close to where we are today.

considering the Annex proper where prices are $2+ million, a 20-25% decline does not equal $500,000 price point.
even properties in the south annex are ~$1 million.

have you ever heard of deflation and a deflationary spiral when reductions in price lead to a vicious circle ...
who would buy today (unless absolutely necessary) when prices will likely be cheaper in the future?
keep in mind, prices may adjust slowly. so no, buyers will not flock to the market to pick up these "great deals."

A question for those who are optimistic about prospects for TO RE prices...

What is your narrative to explain drastically reduced sales volumes coupled with small incremental average price increases from the sold properties?

Here is mine:
"For every 10 properties at each price list point that sold in March 2012, only 8 sold in March 2013. The 8 that sold were the best of the 10. ie best maintained, best renovated, etc. The 2 that didn't sell were the crappiest of the ten (which presumably would have sold in 2012 at discount to the top 8). This change in product mix skews higher the average price of the properties which sold, which we are using a proxy for the market as a whole.

In summary, to ignore the substantially reduced sales volumes while delighting over a 1.8% YOY price increase (adjusted for inflation) is somewhat myopic.

the sales-to-new listings ratio is 52.4% for March 2013, while it was 56.7% for March 2012.

so i would say, for every 10 properties at each price list point in March 2012, 6 sold and they were the best of the 10. (ie best maintained, best renovated, etc.)
in March 2013, 5 sold out of every 10 properties at each price list point.

the sales-to-new listings ratio is trending down.

^^^
Dave,
My explanation would be that in such a low interest rate environment and low rental rates, people do not need to move unless they have had a personal situational change (move or job loss for e.g.).
One would simply not put their house/condo on the market.
Also, with new uncertainty, I think people are just electing to stay put. Hence sales volumes go down unless people get the price they want.
We would need to look at the Teranet numbers to decide if your narrative is correct, though certainly there is some logic to it. However, this will be ongoing. Next year if the numbers continue, 8 of 10 will sell with the crappiest of the ten still not selling and hence the "average price" will continue to remain elevated.

i agree that people are staying put because there is too much uncertainty in the market and transactions costs for R/E is high - 5 to 10% loss to r/e commissions, land transfer taxes, moving expenses, etc.

in addition, we've reached teh 70% ratio of buyers-renters. it's saturated now ... not many more new buyers left.
it's probably only those making moves up/down the property ladder (ie. up or down sizing)

Last edited:
. It is the high end that is not moving quite as well I believe at this time (and perhaps new buyers at the other extreme).

As it happens, this is not the case.

I compiled a spreadsheet comparing the YOY figures for the different price brackets (per TREBs data). Allowing for "bracket creep" as some properties inch into the higher bracket, the YOY change in volumes was remarkably similar for all price brackets.

One final note. The YOY change in sales volumes is actually -20%, not the -17% that TREB quotes. TREB is quoting Final March 2012 to Preliminary March 2013. Final sales in March 2012 were 3% lower than preliminary.

What is your narrative to explain drastically reduced sales volumes coupled with small incremental average price increases from the sold properties?

Tons of people are taking a wait and see attitude. When prices flatten as they have, there's less pressure to buy right away. You don't feel like you're "falling behind" when the YOY change is only 3% or less.

Also, the long period of low standards for mortgages (high amortizations, low interest rate) sucked up a lot of the buyers. When you change the standards, you're not only reducing the overall pot of potential buyers, you've also created a big time gap before the borderline people from before have enough means to reach the new standards.

The conditions are ripe for a pretty strong correction, imho. What the BoC seems to be trying to do is to draw out the correction so that it happens over several years rather than have it drop suddenly.

Imagine what would happen if house prices did tumble, say, 25%. Buyers will flock to the market to pick up these "great deals." What happens next is that the flock of buyers will start bidding up the house prices once again, probably even back to the price point close to where we are today.

That doesn't usually happen. When prices tumble, people run away in panic. People are not rational when it comes to fear.

As it happens, this is not the case.

I compiled a spreadsheet comparing the YOY figures for the different price brackets (per TREBs data). Allowing for "bracket creep" as some properties inch into the higher bracket, the YOY change in volumes was remarkably similar for all price brackets.

One final note. The YOY change in sales volumes is actually -20%, not the -17% that TREB quotes. TREB is quoting Final March 2012 to Preliminary March 2013. Final sales in March 2012 were 3% lower than preliminary.

Interesting. I have heard that the high end is not moving especially now it is expected it will be even more impacted that banks can't bundle off mortgages for properties over $1 mill to CMHC. However Dave, I accept your objective data as my evidence was subjective.

Interesting. I have heard that the high end is not moving especially now it is expected it will be even more impacted that banks can't bundle off mortgages for properties over $1 mill to CMHC. However Dave, I accept your objective data as my evidence was subjective.

TREB's data (not mine). Page 2 of the following reports

http://www.torontorealestateboard.com/market_news/market_watch/2012/mw1203.pdf
http://www.torontorealestateboard.com/market_news/market_watch/2013/mw1303.pdf

Thank you for posting the data.
Dave help me out a bit with the stats here.
In order to better understand the number of sales on page 2 by price point, I would like to know how many properties are in each price range.
For e.g. at the $1 to $1.25 million range, I see the number of sales but what I would need to understand is how many active listings are available in this price range. If it is the same percentage as say $500 to $750K and is running the same as last year as a percentage, then I get it.
Which charts should I be looking at to ascertain this, or in fact can it be ascertained from the data. You are clearly more used to pouring over this data than I am.

Thank you for posting the data.
Dave help me out a bit with the stats here.
In order to better understand the number of sales on page 2 by price point, I would like to know how many properties are in each price range.
For e.g. at the $1 to $1.25 million range, I see the number of sales but what I would need to understand is how many active listings are available in this price range. If it is the same percentage as say $500 to $750K and is running the same as last year as a percentage, then I get it.
Which charts should I be looking at to ascertain this, or in fact can it be ascertained from the data. You are clearly more used to pouring over this data than I am.

The # of listings by price range isn't included in this report.

However, you could get some approximate data for the $1-1.25m range by going to page 8, and comparing the active listings for Toronto Central (ie because the average price for these is $1.2m). In this case, the active listings increased from 685 to 763, which is consistent with the average increase in active listings of 9%.

When I was talking the high end in my originally commentary, I was thinking actually of $1.5-$2 million range for Toronto. I wrote $1 to $1.25 in my question to you as I thought perhaps the trend would already show up.
Can you do the same numbers for this price range.

When I was talking the high end in my originally commentary, I was thinking actually of $1.5-$2 million range for Toronto. I wrote $1 to $1.25 in my question to you as I thought perhaps the trend would already show up.
Can you do the same numbers for this price range.

Lol, cheeky. Didn't I just show you where the data is?

Ok, same page. C02/09/12 detacheds have prices at an avg of $2m. Active listings 2012 are 172 (ie 30+35+107). 2013 are 163 (31+24+108).
So slightly fewer listings (vs the 9% avg increase). But note that now we're getting down to small sample sizes, so there will be inconsistencies in the data.

^^^ Not cheeky Dave, Rather not so good with math. And not enough time right now as dealing with other things to do the math.
But I do find this objective approach very helpful.
Thank you for doing this math for me.

Back