News   Apr 19, 2024
 21     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 513     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the interesting (not surprising really) recent trend of lowrise outselling highrise for the first time in years.

http://www.bildgta.ca/media_releases_2013_detail.asp?id=911

Greater Toronto, March 21, 2013 - For the first time in many months, sales of new detached, semis and townhomes in the GTA outperformed those in the new condominiums in February, the Building Industry and Land Development Association (BILD) announced today.

According to RealNet Canada Inc., BILD's official source for new home market intelligence, new home buyers purchased 2,030 new homes and condominiums in the GTA in February. The 1,078 low-rise sales add up to the second-lowest February on record, despite outperforming the high-rise market which tallied 952 sales.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the interesting (not surprising really) recent trend of lowrise outselling highrise for the first time in years.

http://www.bildgta.ca/media_releases_2013_detail.asp?id=911

If you look carefully enough at the table, it is not the first time lowrise outselling highrises. In GTA, lowrise sales was 1583 in Feb 2012, versus 1026 for highrises, or more than 50% more. In Feb 2013, it is 1078 vs 952, or only 13% more. Why is it first time??

Also, during the Jan-Feb period, low rise sales was a lot more than high rises in GTA in 2012 (2752 vs 1771), while in 2013, it is lower (1660 vs 1734). Seems highrises sales are actually doing better than last year.

Also, in Toronto (416), highrise sales is 700 in Feb 2013, versus 51 for low rises.

Expect an increase in canadian real estate sales and prices as overseas investors (europe) move money from cash (banks). With what's happening in Cyprus I guess real estate is a safer place than banks. The logic is that it's safer to own a million dollar property in canada and risk losing 40% if there is a crash than have it in a bank and risk losing 90% ( since only $100,000 is insured).

A Financial Post article about a senior citizen couple, mortgage free in 1995, who know rely heavily upon home equity lines "...as a valuable source of income as they plan for retirement".

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/03/27/canada-housing-retirement/?__lsa=ce74-5230

However the article doesn't tell you that the husband (Allan Hoegg) works for a mortgage broker, and that the "expert" who is quoted in the article is his boss "Rob Regen-Pollock".

http://www.teamrrp.com/team/

Such is the state of journalistic integrity ...

Expect an increase in canadian real estate sales and prices as overseas investors (europe) move money from cash (banks). With what's happening in Cyprus I guess real estate is a safer place than banks. The logic is that it's safer to own a million dollar property in canada and risk losing 40% if there is a crash than have it in a bank and risk losing 90% ( since only $100,000 is insured).

^This public service announcement was brought to you by the Canadian Real Estate Association (of manipulators).

From The Toronto Star: Ottawa may further dampen mortgage market
Federal budget proposals could curb competition and raise interest rates in the mortgage market.
By: Dana Flavelle Economy, Published on Tue Apr 02 2013

Canadian borrowers could find themselves paying higher mortgage rates if Ottawa goes ahead with budget proposals that would further reduce taxpayers’ exposure to the housing market, industry observers say.
The proposals – which would restrict the use of default insurance available for conventional, low-risk mortgages – could raise costs, especially for smaller non-bank lenders, and reduce competition, industry observers said.
The result could be higher mortgage rates for consumers, experts predicted.
In budget documents released March 21, Ottawa proposed two important changes in the way lenders can insure low-risk conventional mortgages.
The government plans to gradually limit the insurance of low-ratio mortgages and also prohibit the use of any taxpayer-backed insured mortgages, whether high or low ratio, outside of a CMHC sponsored program.
High ratio loans refer to those that require the borrower to pay a premium because they have less than a 20 per cent down payment. Low ratio loans, also called conventional loans, don’t require the borrower to pay a premium because they have more than 20 per cent as a down payment.
Ottawa has already moved four times to tighten rules surrounding high-risk mortgages. Now it’s tackling the low-risk market.
The proposed measures will mainly affect smaller non-bank lenders, such as First National Financial LP, MCAP Financial Corp. and Investors Group, because of the way they fund their mortgages, experts said.
However, the impact could be felt across the mortgage market as smaller lenders set the floor for other lenders, observers said.
“All you have to do is go on the Internet and see a lender is offering 2.79 per cent and you can go into a big bank and say, ‘Match it.’ Even small guys can have a big impact on the market,” noted Rob McLister, editor of CanadianMortgageTrends.com.
The move is seen by some real-estate experts as the latest attempt by the federal government to cool an overheated Canadian housing market and address record household debt levels, most of it tied up in mortgages.
“It seems to me this is another attempt by the (federal) minister of finance to try to tighten up the mortgage market,” said John Andrew, a real estate expert at Queen’s University. “They’re kind of running out of ways to do this. Like the other four rounds of changes, this would also essentially increase the cost of a mortgage.”
But while the housing market in Vancouver and the condo market in Toronto are both slowing, Andrew said it’s been tough to gauge whether the changes are having the desired impact on the overall real estate market.
“We’re not in the spring market yet. We’re waiting for the weather to warm up,” Andrew noted.
The proposed change will hit small lenders hardest, industry observers said, because of the way they fund their loans, such as Asset Backed Commercial Paper.
ABCP may not qualify for insurance under the proposed new rules.
Here’s how low-ratio mortgage insurance works under the current rules:
A consumer goes into a bank or other lender for a mortgage. The lender provides the funds, then packages that mortgage with others, gets bulk insurance from Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, and then sells the entire group of insured mortgages as a package to investors, such as pension funds.
The process makes it easier for banks and other lenders to raise capital.
During the financial crisis of 2007, when credit was hard to get, banks and other lenders substantially increased their use of portfolio insurance, the government noted in budget documents two weeks ago.
In fact, three-quarters of CMHC’s outstanding mortgage insurance is now on low-risk loans, an official with the agency confirmed Tuesday.
But CMHC is fast approaching the $600 billion ceiling imposed by the federal government on the amount of insurance policies it can write.
What form any change in federal policy will take remains unclear. At the moment, Ottawa says it’s consulting with industry participants.

GTA REALTORS® RELEASE MONTHLY RESALE HOUSING FIGURES FOR MARCH 2013

TORONTO, April 3, 2013 -- Greater Toronto Area REALTORS® reported 7,765 transactions through the TorontoMLS system in March 2013 – down 17 per cent compared to 9,385 transactions in March 2012. While the year-over-year dip in March sales followed the trend that has unfolded since mid-way through 2012, it is also important to note that the Good Friday holiday was in March this year versus April in 2012. Generally speaking, there are fewer sales reported on statutory holidays and weekends.

In the first quarter of 2013, sales amounted to 17,678 – down by 14 per cent compared to Q1 2012.

"Home ownership remains affordable for a household earning the average income in the Greater Toronto Area. There are many willing buyers in the marketplace today. While some households have put their decision to purchase on hold as a result of stricter lending guidelines or the additional Land Transfer Tax in the City of Toronto, other households simply haven’t been able to find the right house due to a shortage of listings in some market segments," said Toronto Real Estate Board President Ann Hannah.

The average selling price in March was $519,879 – up by 3.8 per cent compared to March 2012. The average price in Q1 2013 was $508,066 – up by 3.2 per cent compared to the first quarter of 2012.

"The average selling price and the MLS® Home Price Index Composite Benchmark was up on a year-over-year basis across most home types, especially in the low-rise market segments where supply remains an issue. TREB's average price forecast for 2013 remains at $515,000, representing a 3.5 per cent annual rate of growth," said Jason Mercer, TREB's Senior Manager of Market Analysis.
----------------------------

So a new all time high average selling price in the GTA.

Average selling price in the City of Toronto - $564,793 up 3% y/y. Sales down 24% y/y
Average condo selling price in the City of Toronto - $367,595 up 2% y/y. Sales down 18.7%

http://www.torontorealestateboard.c...ket_updates/news2013/nr_market_watch_0313.htm

losing 40%?
The probability is close to zero. For cities like Toronto, I don't think a 20% drop is remotely likely, no matter how people want it to happen because they want to buy a house.
In the short term, it may adjust somewhat (I will be surprised if it is over 5%, probably not at all), but in the medium and longer term, it WILL trend up.
Unless of course, Canada experiences a massive depression.

In downtown, condo vancancy rate is something like 1%. Whoever thinks there is an excess supply in the coming years and therefore condo market will see huge correction will know how wrong they are in a few years. People are icreasing appreciating the convenient car free lifestyle in or near the core versus their big suburban houses and 2+ hours painful commute and horrible quality of life because of it. And gas price will not get any cheaper.

losing 40%?
The probability is close to zero. For cities like Toronto, I don't think a 20% drop is remotely likely, no matter how people want it to happen because they want to buy a house.
In the short term, it may adjust somewhat (I will be surprised if it is over 5%, probably not at all), but in the medium and longer term, it WILL trend up.
Unless of course, Canada experiences a massive depression.

In downtown, condo vancancy rate is something like 1%. Whoever thinks there is an excess supply in the coming years and therefore condo market will see huge correction will know how wrong they are in a few years. People are icreasing appreciating the convenient car free lifestyle in or near the core versus their big suburban houses and 2+ hours painful commute and horrible quality of life because of it. And gas price will not get any cheaper.

Your preaching to the choir. However, people like CN Tower don't want to hear that logic.

losing 40%?

Really? Zero? I think you underestimate the swings that a speculative market can experience. Emotion is an extremely volatile creature, and few financial products are more emotional than owning real estate. These things often tend to have a snowball effect.

That being said, most signs do point to more of a stable decline. The government (via the BoC) seems to be taking a very active role in ensuring that we have a soft landing, rather than a hard crash.

That being said, most signs do point to more of a stable decline. The government (via the BoC) seems to be taking a very active role in ensuring that we have a soft landing, rather than a hard crash.

A stable decline is exactly what is anticipated and from what we are seeing so far in the first quarter of this year, that is what we are experiencing. One major aspect that many people have to keep in mind is that a stable decline does not necessarily mean prices of homes in Riverdale will tumble 20% but rather that their growth will decelerate. The rate of change in price will plateau and may even experience a slight downward trend but it most certainly won't be a huge drop. Sales volume is decreasing as sales prices are correcting (not decreasing). I surely wouldn't hold my breath on buying a detached house in the Annex for $500,000.

Imagine what would happen if house prices did tumble, say, 25%. Buyers will flock to the market to pick up these "great deals." What happens next is that the flock of buyers will start bidding up the house prices once again, probably even back to the price point close to where we are today.

I rent in Toronto now and I intend to move back to the United States in a couple of years where housing and cost of living is much cheaper (thankfully I have the ability to live in both countries)... so there is some proof if you want it of someone young that is not putting money in this absurd housing market and renting instead. There is some long-term affordability issues in Toronto for young people with limited equity, many whom will decide to live elsewhere. Why would I let the elderly folks and speculators get rich off me? I am not going to be the fool holding the bag by overpaying for a garbage home in Toronto for 4-5 times what I would pay for the same thing in the United States. On top of that housing is illiquid, you cannot deduct mortgage interest, could be subject to a land transfer tax, tons of closing and loan origination fees, and property taxes are only going to go up when the development slows (which I think is inevitable as the market is slowing now and Ontario/Toronto has generous social programs that need to be funded). I don't see a crash happening anytime soon, but I also don't see Toronto as a place that I want to live in the future. You just don't get a good bang for the buck here.

I rent in Toronto now and I intend to move back to the United States in a couple of years where housing and cost of living is much cheaper (thankfully I have the ability to live in both countries)... so there is some proof if you want it of someone young that is not putting money in this absurd housing market and renting instead. There is some long-term affordability issues in Toronto for young people with limited equity, many whom will decide to live elsewhere. Why would I let the elderly folks and speculators get rich off me? I am not going to be the fool holding the bag by overpaying for a garbage home in Toronto for 4-5 times what I would pay for the same thing in the United States. On top of that housing is illiquid, you cannot deduct mortgage interest, could be subject to a land transfer tax, tons of closing and loan origination fees, and property taxes are only going to go up when the development slows (which I think is inevitable as the market is slowing now and Ontario/Toronto has generous social programs that need to be funded). I don't see a crash happening anytime soon, but I also don't see Toronto as a place that I want to live in the future. You just don't get a good bang for the buck here.

It is your rignt to decide where you want to live but not all areas of the US have affordable housing - some desirable areas are much more expensive or as expensive as Toronto. Yes mortage interest is deductible but its very bad from a tax policy perspective and arguably played some role in contributing to the real estate bubble there and you are taxed when you sell your house (there is exemption of $250,000 if you are filing single, I believe; $500,000 if you file jointly and are married) but any gain about that exemption is subject to tax. I don't disagree with you that we have long term issues concerning growth and affordability in Toronto but real estate bubbles can happen anywhere given the right conditions - no country is immune. My only other comment is don't get sick in the US. A serious illness can be castrophic financially even if you do have insurance and insurance can be quite expensive.. I know our public health system is far from perfect but I would take it any day over the US system.

So a new all time high average selling price in the GTA.

Average selling price in the City of Toronto - $564,793 up 3% y/y. Sales down 24% y/y
Average condo selling price in the City of Toronto - $367,595 up 2% y/y. Sales down 18.7%

A question for those who are optimistic about prospects for TO RE prices...

What is your narrative to explain drastically reduced sales volumes coupled with small incremental average price increases from the sold properties?

Here is mine:
"For every 10 properties at each price list point that sold in March 2012, only 8 sold in March 2013. The 8 that sold were the best of the 10. ie best maintained, best renovated, etc. The 2 that didn't sell were the crappiest of the ten (which presumably would have sold in 2012 at discount to the top 8). This change in product mix skews higher the average price of the properties which sold, which we are using a proxy for the market as a whole.

In summary, to ignore the substantially reduced sales volumes while delighting over a 1.8% YOY price increase (adjusted for inflation) is somewhat myopic.

^^^
Dave,
My explanation would be that in such a low interest rate environment and low rental rates, people do not need to move unless they have had a personal situational change (move or job loss for e.g.).
One would simply not put their house/condo on the market.
Also, with new uncertainty, I think people are just electing to stay put. Hence sales volumes go down unless people get the price they want.
We would need to look at the Teranet numbers to decide if your narrative is correct, though certainly there is some logic to it. However, this will be ongoing. Next year if the numbers continue, 8 of 10 will sell with the crappiest of the ten still not selling and hence the "average price" will continue to remain elevated.

Back