News   Jul 16, 2024
 128     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 885     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

Sure, a good question. At the heart of it would be "why do people sell"?

Whatever the reason, the lack of supply is unprecedented.

Unless the economy 'tanks' completely, there always will be a certain number of individuals looking to buy R/E -- be it a house or a condo.

In view of unprecedent lack of supply, wouldn't that follow that prices will remain firm or go up by 5/6/7/8%?

That being the case, then, there should be no much talked about 'bubble burst' now or somewhere down the road.

Am I on the right track?

KA my friend, I disagree. QUOTE]

CN Tower, you have re-posted link to an old video. Since its last post, prices have kept on going higher and higher in Vancouver.

If you are in the market for long term -- especially, if you are looking for a place to live -- and can afford the property at the present time, then, does it really matter as to which end of the rollercoaster you get on?

Would very much appreciate your further comments.

Ka1,
I too recognized the video. The interesting point was if I recall correctly from 1981 it took 25 years to re-reach that peak. 25 years is a very long time for most people so I think someone who bought at the peak in 1981 would say it does matter which end of the roller coaster you get on. In Toronto, it also took about the same time.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to live in the same city. People get transferred. Situations change. And to be potentially locked in for 25 years would be difficult.

Fixed rates have dropped several times this month, including again today This should provide some continued strength to this RE sales rally, at least temporarily. People have gotten mortgages in the 3.5% range for a 5-year fixed, with decent payment options (not no frills).

Considering people can lock into low rates for 3-4 months, this will at least cover the summer and probably the fall too since fixed rates will only increase gradually, if they increase at all in the next few months.

It could even be 2012 before prices really begin their drop, assuming that happens... and if that happens in 2012, it will have been 5 years since I bought my house... in a so-called overpriced market. How time flies.

Last edited:
How much longer will our government support holding rates at emergency levels? Encouraging everyone to borrow more for housing is a misallocation of resources that should go into encouraging entreprenurial investments. The unwillingness to do this says people in power don't really care as much about future prosperity as short term gains and helping their friends who do well when real estate increases in value. It's all about helping the FIRE economy, which is essentially parasitic and not sustainable.

Last edited:
from the National Post:
http://business.financialpost.com/2...f-foreign-investment-could-stress-test-banks/

By Garry Marr and Barbara Shecter

Canada’s top banking regulator is on a fact-finding mission to gauge the scope of foreign investment in residential real estate.

Industry sources say the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions is sizing up the market, most likely as part of its active campaign to “stress-test” the country’s big banks to measure how they would be affected by volatility in various market segments.

OSFI is taking a broad look at bank exposure to household debt and how the financial institutions are monitoring loan portfolios amid growing concerns over the ability of Canadians to handle their debt load.

In the case of the housing market, sources point to global trends that could affect investment in Canada — such as China’s recent policies to curb speculative real estate investment in that country — as evidence that Canada is operating in a fast-changing market that could be adversely affected by decisions made in other countries.

They suggest OSFI wants to know how big a factor foreign investment in Canada’s housing market is, and how big it is likely to become, so the regulator can measure the potential impact on banks if demand were to dry up.

“It’s something they are trying to get information on,” said a source close to the situation. “It’s not something they can find out so easily.”

Rod Giles, a spokesman for OSFI, said the regulator does not comment on specific supervisory actions, but he confirmed that the “housing market including real estate linked lending activities” is among a set of “emerging issues, risks and markets across the Canadian financial system” that is being monitored by the Ottawa-based regulator.

“We do this so that we can better understand the risks and impacts these may pose on federally regulated financial institutions,” Mr. Giles said, adding that the regulator looks at a range of things including specific geographic markets, types of customers, and products.

At the moment, Canada’s real estate market is finding favour among foreign investors because house prices are low compared to international hot spots such as London and New York, industry sources say.

Interest in Canada was evident in this week’s $28-million purchase of a condominium at the top of the Four Seasons hotel in Toronto. It was a record price paid for a condo in the country — one still under construction, no less — and the buyer was identified only as a foreign purchaser.

A recent report from ReMax on the sale of high-end homes said “foreign investment augmented sales activity in several Canadian markets,” and the Canadian Real Estate Association had to revise its forecast for sales and prices in April because of unexpected activity in Vancouver. Real estate industry executives suggested Chinese buyers have been driving the market.

If the trend of international investment were to continue indefinitely, it would not be a troubling issue for the country’s banks. The problems would come if transient foreign interest were to contribute to the formation of a real estate bubble.

“If demand for residential real estate were to dry up in Canada, it would not be good for Canadian banks,” said Peter Nerby, senior vice-president at Moody’s who is responsible for the credit ratings of Canadian financial institutions.

While preliminary research at Moody’s indicates domestic banks are in fairly good shape given the size of home loans in their overall portfolios relative to value of the houses, the banks don’t publicly disclose information on regional concentration or the creditworthiness of individual home owners, Mr. Nerby said.

This makes it difficult to measure the impact on a bank of a housing downturn.

It’s “not something the outside investor can assess,” Mr. Nerby said, noting that declining international demand would simply be one factor that could cause house prices to drop.

He said a downturn in Canada would undoubtedly play out differently from the housing crisis in the United States in 2007 because many Canadian home loans are guaranteed through insurance provided by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.

As a result, homeowners and the CMHC would be ahead of the banks in feeling the pain, Mr. Nerby said.

Still, with Canadian home buyers able to put as little as 5% down on a house if they are covered by the government-backed mortgage default insurance, there is concern that people might stop making payments if their mortgages exceed what someone is willing to pay for the house.

The global financial crisis shone a harsh light on the domino effect that can be triggered by single a bubble in the global economy, and the harm it can do to financial institutions that don’t have the capital cushion to absorb such blows.

Craig Alexander, chief economist with Toronto-Dominion bank, said it makes sense for the key bank regulator — which routinely tests for shocks and worst-case scenarios — to be making inquiries.

“I wouldn’t be surprised, given what CREA (the Canadian Real Estate Association) has been saying about foreign investment having such a big impact, that it would elicit an investigation,” said Mr. Alexander, adding that he knows of no existing measure of foreign investment in housing.

Financial Post

gmarr@nationalpost.com
bshecter@nationalpost.com

Posted in: FP Street, Real Estate Tags: Banks, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, Canadian Real Estate Association, Foreign Investment, housing market, Moody's, Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (Canada), OSFI, RE/MAX, real estate

May sales numbers will be weak, look for price apprecation over last year, listings also seem to be gaining, balanced summer, strong fall is my guess.

CG, can you please elaborate a bit more. Why do you think we will have a strong fall? Is this based on some trends, interest rates expectations and numbers, or just you guessing?
Even though I do not share your optimistic views all the time (eg. 4S penthouse comment recently posted), I do respect your comments and opinions. I know that you are an "insider" and would really like to know if your prediction is based on some calculation.

May sales numbers will be weak

He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about and acts out of pure self-interest.

TORONTO, June 3, 2011 – Greater Toronto REALTORS® reported 10,046 sales in May 2011 – up six
per cent compared to May 2010. This result was the second best on record for May under the current
Toronto Real Estate Board service area.

I think many of you give CG far too much credit because of his success in a nice market segment catering to overseas investors.

If the trend of international investment were to continue indefinitely, it would not be a troubling issue for the country’s banks. The problems would come if transient foreign interest were to contribute to the formation of a real estate bubble.

“If demand for residential real estate were to dry up in Canada, it would not be good for Canadian banks,†said Peter Nerby, senior vice-president at Moody’s who is responsible for the credit ratings of Canadian financial institutions.

One approach would be to deny non-resident Canadians access to CMHC insurance. Arguably the foundations for CHMC- bringing affordable housing to Canadians- are incongruous with the use of it to fuel speculation in the housing market and potentially destablize it.

It is a very slippery slope of course because of the inordinate size of the Canadian housing industry. It is truly a monster with its own inertia and generates probably 100,000's of jobs across the country. If the housing market crashed unemployment in this country would spike tremendously.

One approach would be to deny non-resident Canadians access to CMHC insurance. Arguably the foundations for CHMC- bringing affordable housing to Canadians- are incongruous with the use of it to fuel speculation in the housing market and potentially destablize it.

It is a very slippery slope of course because of the inordinate size of the Canadian housing industry. It is truly a monster with its own inertia and generates probably 100,000's of jobs across the country. If the housing market crashed unemployment in this country would spike tremendously.

many other countries have instituted curbs on speculation by banning purchases by non-residents/citizens and/or limiting sales to end-users or max of 2 properties, etc.

if a housing market crashed, it would have been partially the industry's own doing by encouraging speculation and constantly escalating prices.

as many know, markets cannot be sustained by locals at these prices.
the bigger they are, the harder they fall ... looking south of the border one can see how bad it could get.

Cmon Cn. you have said many times I am in this because of pre const condos in the core, my above analysis was based on C01 core only not the overall market, I dont think anyone could have a good accurate guess on such a vast scope of area. Now try and keep away from putting a negative spin on everything I say lol!

Last edited:
Cmon Cn. you have said many times I am in this because of pre const condos in the core, my above analysis was based on C01 core only not the overall market, I dont think anyone could have a good accurate guess on such a vast scope of area. Now try and keep away from putting a negative spin on everything I say lol!

So CO1 had weak May 2011 while everything else had really really high sales volume? Any explanation for this?

Last edited:

Back