News   Jul 15, 2024
 506     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 659     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 585     0 

Avonshire (Yonge/401, Tridel/K&G, 14 + 21 + 3x 22s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

I believe there are 2 levels underground parking and 1 level parking at grade ... TWM can you confirm ??

Avonshire Parking

I believe there are 2 levels underground parking and 1 level parking at grade ... TWM can you confirm ??

According to project management there are three levels of indoor parking with 55 spots at grade. No exterior parking for the towers. This is for the first two towers of phase 1.

Scaled Model

Front / North Elevation
IMG_3846.jpg

The Lobby / Entrance Complex
IMG_3845.jpg

Rear / South Elevation
IMG_3851.jpg

The Recreation Centre
IMG_3849.jpg

The Terrace / Grand Penthouse Suites
IMG_3847.jpg

June 9 2009 update

Two cranes hard at work on site today ~

IMG_3854.jpg

These buildings will continue the "blah"-ness along the 401. Heaven forbid people travelling through the City will get a glimpse of some decent architecture. But I'm sure they will marvel at NY Towers and Lee Centre (although the (newest) towers are actually quite nice, the aboveground parking structure is hideous).

So Marcus, are you saying that a highway, or at least its drivers, gets the architecture it deserves?

Drivers on the Gardiner are certainly being treated with a lot more respect, architecturally.

These buildings will continue the "blah"-ness along the 401. Heaven forbid people travelling through the City will get a glimpse of some decent architecture. But I'm sure they will marvel at NY Towers and Lee Centre (although the (newest) towers are actually quite nice, the aboveground parking structure is hideous).

Will marvel? Do marvel! (at night, anyway)

These termite mounds will fit right in next to Skymark's blah-ness. There's always Concord, though...we haven't really been given many hints as to what Park Place's 401-adjacent towers will look like.

It always amazes me how few attempts there are to create buildings with good architecture outside the downtown core.

Thanks for the laugh Waterloo!

So Marcus, are you saying that a highway, or at least its drivers, gets the architecture it deserves?

Drivers on the Gardiner are certainly being treated with a lot more respect, architecturally.

I don't know what people driving on a highway deserve, or transit riders on a streetcar or cyclists or pedestrians. But maybe 401 drivers deserve better architecture considering there are a lot of people who see these buildings on a daily basis since this stretch is the busiest highway in North America. One could compare this section to that of the Gardiner/Lake Shore/rail corridor between Bathurst* and just west of the Humber in terms of the volume of traffic/# of people passing by.

My original point stems from someones impression of a city as they drive (or take a train) through it, whether it's their destination or not. Every time I'm driving through a City I'm checking out the surroundings, scanning the horizons looking for their skyline and analyzing the different buildings. If I'm just passing through there's only a limited amount of time I have to see what the City has to offer, and it's a very limited number of buildings that can be seen. High rises usually attract my attention during that finite period and the quality of the architecture is one of the main things that shape my evaluation of that city. I used to drive through Chicago 6 or 7 times a year on my way to Milwaukee (or Madison) but never set foot in the City limits to really get a good feel of the City because I still had 2 hrs left of a 10 hr trip. Of course I prefer to wander for hours aimlessly around cities by foot, but that's not always possible.

When out-of-towners drive through Toronto on the 401, this is the crap they have to look at. As I alluded to earlier the NY Towers will (unfortunately) be the highlight of their trip through the 416. Overall Toronto beats out most cities due to the sheer number of buildings spread out through the entire City, but there really is nothing that great to look at, imo. There's a few viewpoints I like from the 401, with the NYCC skyline over Hoggs Hollow eastbound my favourite especially in the afternoon in the fall. The Nestle building from that angle looks great.

*East of Bathurst is not a fair comparison, since the "canyon effect" along the Gardiner is a real treat for drivers.

Last edited:
When out-of-towners drive through Toronto on the 401, this is the crap they have to look at. As I alluded to earlier the NY Towers will (unfortunately) be the highlight of their trip through the 416. Overall Toronto beats out most cities due to the sheer number of buildings spread out through the entire City, but there really is nothing that great to look at, imo. There's a few viewpoints I like from the 401, with the NYCC skyline over Hoggs Hollow eastbound my favourite especially in the afternoon in the fall. The Nestle building from that angle looks great.

But is the comparison really that fair? After all, while the 401 goes through the 416, it doesn't go through the downtown core--at heart, it remains the "Toronto By-Pass" as envisioned in the postwar years.

When one compares similarly situated/used/travelled highways elsewhere, from Montreal's Metropolitaine to DC's Beltway, you can see that "nothing that great to look at" is the rule rather than the exception--and really, said out-of-towners would have to be real dolts and ignoramii to judge Toronto strictly from the 401 as if the CN Tower et al didn't exist. If they're going through Toronto via the 401, they should know they're going through the workaday inner burbs, rather than the core of it all...

well like it or not ... towers @ Avonshire are under construction

good news for purchasers here is ... colour selection for individual suites is set to start in August 2009

I believe this site is part of North York City Centre (NYCC) ?

MODs, just a thought ... :)
Avonshire (NYCC, Yonge/401, Tridel/K&G, 14 + 21 + 3x 22s, Kirkor)

Back