2.7K     8 
News   Oct 18, 2024
 335     0 
News   Oct 18, 2024
 962     4 

Arrow Replica at the Toronto Aerospace Museum

B

bizorky

A full-size replica of the Avro Arrow has been completed and rolled out at the Toronto Aerospace Museum. We often discuss the need for promoting unique cultural venues in Toronto, and this one is a diamond in the rough. The first mass manufacturing of aircraft in Canada took place Toronto in 1914. Since then, some of the most noteworthy Canadian aircraft have been manufactured in this city - including the Arrow.

The Arrow is on a roll, again
Eight years in the making, a replica of beloved, doomed jet to be unveiled today
Sep. 28, 2006. 03:32 AM
SCOTT SIMMIE
FEATURE WRITER

With heat waves shimmering off the runway at Downsview airport, it looked almost like a mirage — a ghost.

But as the sleek lines of the aircraft being towed from a Bombardier hangar to the Toronto Aerospace Museum emerged on a recent day, it became clear this was no illusion. There, its distinctive delta wing swept back, was a full-scale replica of likely the most celebrated and controversial aircraft in Canadian history: the Avro Arrow.

Though this CF-105 will never fly, it looks astonishingly fast. Nimble. Real.

For Peter Allnutt, 73, seeing the freshly painted craft make that graceful roll was truly a déjà vu moment. Though he's spent much of the past five years working with other volunteers on this museum-quality replica, his connection with the Arrow goes back a half-century. The former experimental flight mechanic for Avro Aircraft was there when the very first Arrow rolled out the hangar doors in October 1957.

And he's never forgotten.

"It was impressive — it was mind-blowing, actually, at the time," he said. "Back then, there was nothing like it in the world."

And there wasn't. On the day of that rollout, the Star quoted Avro president Fred Smye describing the jet as "the most advanced aircraft this side of the iron curtain." It wasn't hyperbole.

The interceptor was capable of flying at twice the speed of sound. New Iroquois jet engines were being developed and tested by a sister company to power future Arrows on a crucial Cold War mission: to defend North America from possible attack by Russian bombers delivering nuclear weapons over a North Pole route. In all, five Arrows were produced. And the 15,000 Avro employees had every reason to be proud of their jet and to plan for their futures.

That future did not unfold as anticipated. In September 1958, the John Diefenbaker government announced it was scaling back orders for the Arrow and its forthcoming engines. Still, it was no small surprise when Prime Minister Diefenbaker stood in the House of Commons the following February and announced the cancellation of the Arrow program — citing high costs and a diminished need for interceptors in an age of nuclear missiles. It's a day former employees and aircraft historians still call "Black Friday."

In an instant, 15,000 people were told they'd be out of work.
"The government ordered the aircraft to be chopped up, and all the photos and drawings to be destroyed," recalls Allnutt. "But it's amazing how much stuff did survive."

What survived included some original drawings and plans — and a dream that this aircraft not be forgotten. It's a vision that the Toronto Aerospace Museum in Downsview Park has had since its inception — that a full-scale Arrow model would one day grace its exhibit.

"A lot of people said this would never happen," says manager/curator Paul Cabot. "It's an eight-year overnight success."

Some 140 people volunteered to help replicate this craft — right down to the rivets and hydraulic lines. Of those, there was a small core of regulars who seemed to spend every spare hour on this project. Neil Dellandrea, whose uncle worked on the Arrow, has been involved for more than six of those years.

"I just feel really proud to be part of this thing," he said. "It's my sense of pride in Canadian achievement."

The museum will officially unveil the Arrow to the media this morning and to the public on Sunday, October 8th. There will also be a fundraising gala next Thursday (details at www.torontoaerospacemuseum.com) to celebrate this phoenix.

"It's an icon of Canadian history — it's a legend," says John Harper, the museum's education director.

"Even before it was finished, I've seen men in here with tears in their eyes."

There's a video link with the story. *Very* cool project, and a great museum in Toronto I don't think a lot of people know about.

I've always been a big fan of aerospace museums. I've been to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington, the Canadian Aviation Museum in Ottawa, the USAF Museum in Dayton, OH, but I have yet to go to the Toronto Aerospace Museum. I guess it's just out of the way for me, plus it has not matured as much as the other museums. However, if given the chance, I would like to go for a visit.

There, its distinctive delta wing swept back, was a full-scale replica of likely the most celebrated and controversial aircraft in Canadian history: the Avro Arrow.

Another Toronto-area built Avro aircraft is not as celebrated, but even more controversial than the Arrow... the Avro Avrocar flying saucer. If this one gets put on display, crowds would come to the museum for sure!

avrocar-1.jpg

Page on Avro Avrocar

In 1949 Avro Canada of Toronto produced the CL-102 Jetliner. It was the second jet-powered passenger aircraft after the British DeHavilland Comet. The Jetliner would have been used as an intercity passenger aircraft, not unlike the Bombardier CRJ's. Sadly, there were no buyers. Turbojets were then considered to be a military technology.

Only the cockpit remains of the CL-102. It is on display at the Canada Aviation Museum. After it stopped flying, the aircraft was cut up because there was no place to store it. Another sad note in Canadian aviation history.

because of the baker, we lost a whole industry and possibly dominace in the space sector. :(

The Arrow probably would have been cancelled regardless of what government was elected at that time. The project was too expensive, going about nine times over budget. ICBM's were clearly going to replace the bombers that the Arrow was designed to intercept during the cold war. Both the Americans and the British had cancelled their own high speed high altitude interceptor projects as well.

That being said, the Arrow was an achievement in that a Canadian company was able to develop such an advanced aircraft at that time.

It is very doubtful that Canada would have come to dominate in the space sector. In so many ways, the cancellation of the CL-102 Jetliner was a more significant long-term blow in that a Canadian company had produced and flown a jet-powered passeneger jet more than ten years before the arrival of the Douglas DC-8 or the Boeing 707. Had this aircraft become a sales success, Avro Canada would have had the opportunity opened to sell aircraft to any airline flying intercity routes. This would have given them a huge advantage in establishing themselves in the commercial airliner field.

I'm of the opinion that Diefenbaker was leaned on by Ike and canned a project that would still be making Canada money today, and keeping this country on the forefront of aeronautics today, it angers me that that majestic aircraft was canned and 15,000 workers at A.V. Roe were sent packing to companies like Gruman, Lockheed-Martin and of course, NASA. And people out here wonder why the East vote Liberal all the time......

I'm of the opinion that Diefenbaker was leaned on by Ike and canned a project that would still be making Canada money today, and keeping this country on the forefront of aeronautics today,
Only if the Canadian government was willing to continue to funnel unlimited amounts of $$ into the project. We would essentially have a Canadian version of SAAB aerospace, where we make nothing but military aircraft for ourselves and a limited export market. Of course, I don't relish the thought of Canadian aircraft sold to the likes of Turkey and Iran, bombing Kurdish and other civilians.

The problem with the Arrow was that it had no real market. Unfortunately, military aviation is a highly nationalistic industry. There's certainly no way that the U.S. would choose Avro over Lockheed for its major interceptor, even if the technology was slightly better. The best that could have come of the project is that we could have gotten a few European export customers. Eventually we might have joined some of the European consortia (i.e. the Tornado).

Even without the Arrow, we have the world's fourth-largest aviation company. That's pretty impressive for a non-protectionist country in one of the most protectionist industries.

^And by far the largest producer of simulators for commercial pilot training as well.

Concerning American pressure to can the Arrow, that is a myth. There are declassified memos from the White House stating a concern that Canada was leaving itself without a supersonic interceptor when the Arrow was cancelled. The Americans had cancelled the F-108 and were in the process of pursuing the far more versatile F-4 Phantom.

As for Canadian aircraft being sold to Turkey, I think we may have sold some F-5's to that country (a fellow NATO member). I may be wrong on this.

Correct if I'm wrong, but initally the americans were to buy several hundred, and the RAF really wanted the Arrow too, so much they offered to buy the prototypes, and Dief. said no, so to say there was no market I think, is a bit of a wrong statement, at that time the only people you could sell to was NATO-friendly nations not like today where we could sell to anyone (except the obivous nations)

Neither the United States nor Britain had commitments to buy Arrows. The Americans already had, for example, the F-106 which was quite similar in performance. They were also developing the F-108 Rapier which would have been capable of Mach 3 - faster than the Arrow. A French manufacturer did express some interest in the Orenda Irquois engine, but no sales were made.

The arrival of the ICBM and surface to air missiles were changing how aircraft were to be used.

The Arrow was to be a high speed, high altitude interceptor only, and was not for dogfighting. It was to be armed with missiles only.

Back