News   May 03, 2024
 609     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 294     0 

Are you voting strategically for Tory?

I'm voting for Tory because

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd wager that a Toronto-focused forum on urban issues is more likely to skew young and pro-Chow than the general population. The internet turns into a big echo chamber for political views because people sort themselves into niche communities like this one. Urban Toronto is actually a bit of an anomaly in that it attracts people with varied opinions...

I agree. I'm actually surprised there are as many people choosing Tory as there are on this forum, based on the polls.

We all know that the group of people commenting on internet forums do not reflect the general population. If it did, Soknacki would probably be the front-runner.

I'd wager that a Toronto-focused forum on urban issues is more likely to skew young and pro-Chow than the general population. The internet turns into a big echo chamber for political views because people sort themselves into niche communities like this one. Urban Toronto is actually a bit of an anomaly in that it attracts people with varied opinions...

I agree. I'm actually surprised there are as many people choosing Tory as there are on this forum, based on the polls.

We all know that the group of people commenting on internet forums do not reflect the general population. If it did, Soknacki would probably be the front-runner.
I must agree. UT seems quite reflective of the general population to some degree and unreflective to other degrees. In the poll I created, there are more Tory supporters than Chow supporters and there are very few D. Ford supporters (fewer than Goldkind supporters even).

I would expect a website dedicated to urban issues facing Toronto to be biased in favour of Chow or Goldkind. Since Tory is in the lead, perhaps there are a few bandwagoning to stop D. Ford, which I have noticed.

Note that Urban Toronto is the most popular Toronto-specific forum on the Internet, which would lead to many varied opinions.

I would expect a website dedicated to urban issues facing Toronto to be biased in favour of Chow or Goldkind. Since Tory is in the lead, perhaps there are a few bandwagoning to stop D. Ford, which I have noticed.

Or, maybe, they just prefer Tory--remember: "voting your conscience" doesn't necessarily equate to Chow/Goldkind/whomever support. And it isn't a given that a Ford-free race would leverage in Chow's favour.

Plus, those with affiliations with or specific interests in real estate, development, transport, etc might by nature feel more less at ease with Chow...

Or, maybe, they just prefer Tory--remember: "voting your conscience" doesn't necessarily equate to Chow/Goldkind/whomever support. And it isn't a given that a Ford-free race would leverage in Chow's favour.

Plus, those with affiliations with or specific interests in real estate, development, transport, etc might by nature feel more less at ease with Chow...
This is why I said "a few bandwagoning" (referring to those who personally prefer Chow, Goldkind, etc., but vote Tory to prevent D. Ford from winning). There are many here who honestly prefer Tory for his policies. Not me though.

Let me just first say I understand that this poll is not necessary reflected with the city as a whole. So with that out of the way

1/3 of Tory votes on here are strategist voters, that's actually pretty huge. If we look at the current Forum Poll with Tory 43%, Ford 29%, Chow 25%. You remove a-third from Tory that's about 14%. That drops him tied with 29%, if those votes end up going to Chow she gets 39%. These are very similar numbers from the beginning of the campaign before she fell.

Let me just first say I understand that this poll is not necessary reflected with the city as a whole. So with that out of the way

1/3 of Tory votes on here are strategist voters, that's actually pretty huge. If we look at the current Forum Poll with Tory 43%, Ford 29%, Chow 25%. You remove a-third from Tory that's about 14%. That drops him tied with 29%, if those votes end up going to Chow she gets 39%. These are very similar numbers from the beginning of the campaign before she fell.

I think if all the Tory voters who are strategically voting pile on Chow, Ford has a great show of sneaking a victory in ..

Ford's on a downward trend in the polls though and the people who say they support Ford tend to be those who like to be "politically incorrect" in polls and are less likely to vote. It's extremely unlikely he'll slip through with less than 30% of the vote.

I really wanted to vote for Chow as I generally like her and voted for her in the past when I lived in Trinity-Spadina. I was impressed with the early days of her campaign as I would see volunteers chatting up people at TTC stops in the morning. It seemed like a great way to talk to the electorate while they were upset about our biggest issue regarding this election. As her campaign went on, I wasn't so impressed. The whole square curb thing really turned me off, despite the fact it would never happen.

I did the CBC vote compass and despite the fact I side with Chow on almost all the issues, I'll be voting for Tory as he's impressed me in the debates. I also want to make sure Doug Ford isn't elected.

I think if all the Tory voters who are strategically voting pile on Chow, Ford has a great show of sneaking a victory in ..
Not a chance. Ford will be lucky to finish 2nd. The ceiling has always been 30%, and the polling has been pretty consistent at that (if you look at Forum's raw numbers, rather than their bizarre weighted stuff). Given the high turnout in non-Ford areas, I really would be surprised if Ford had higher than 27% or so.

I have no doubt that Tory will win at this point. But it would be nice to see Ford finish 3rd. That would send a powerful message.

I will likely vote strategically..... for Chow.

In pretty sure Tory will win and that Ford doesn't have much of a chance to win. So, I'd rather help get Ford knocked back to third place and not give Tory HUGE mandate.

It's because we're an intelligent, well-informed bunch! There are plenty of Chow-supporting "low information" voters in this city - they consider themselves "progressive" but are otherwise totally oblivious to politics and current events in general.

Also we are what, 99% guys? That has to help the Tory vote.

"John Tory: for the well-informed professional class male citizen".

It's because we're an intelligent, well-informed bunch! There are plenty of Chow-supporting "low information" voters in this city - they consider themselves "progressive" but are otherwise totally oblivious to politics and current events in general.

Also we are what, 99% guys? That has to help the Tory vote.

"John Tory: for the well-informed professional class male citizen".

Some of our most informed posters are women. I cannot claim to be either.

Back