News   Apr 26, 2024
 211     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 405     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 541     0 

Are we living in the greatest construction boom in Toronto history?

All buildings everywhere (the vast majority, anyway) are built as cheaply as possible to deliver the client`s building, meet the local building code, and satisfy the project`s budget, as that is the nature of construction. This is not somehow unique to condos in Toronto. Condo towers in Toronto are not any more cheaply built than say subdivisions in Pickering or Milton. Or anything anywhere else.

What do you guys believe is fueling Toronto's construction boom? Could it be as simple as population growth, or is it interest rates as most people seem to believe?

What do you guys believe is fueling Toronto's construction boom? Could it be as simple as population growth, or is it interest rates as most people seem to believe?

Population growth due to both immigration and urbanization (people from smaller towns moving to larger ones) and the economy of Canada is pretty good. Toronto being the financial and media capital of Canada has reaped some benefits.

Also, demographic changes such as people getting married much later and a much larger percentage staying single for life than ever before and having fewer kids means there is a shift to smaller housing units rather than family sized ones. I read somewhere that there are more single women than ever before and they are the leading demographic for buying condos.

I don't see this stopping anytime soon because there are plenty of people around the world waiting to come to Canada.

Manhattanization: A history of the term in San Francisco, Toronto, Seattle and Miami

http://news.buzzbuzzhome.com/2014/08/manhattanization-toronto-sanfrancisco-history.html

What is it with everyone on here thinking that Toronto condos are somehow built cheaper then anywhere else?

All buildings everywhere (the vast majority, anyway) are built as cheaply as possible to deliver the client`s building, meet the local building code, and satisfy the project`s budget, as that is the nature of construction. This is not somehow unique to condos in Toronto. Condo towers in Toronto are not any more cheaply built than say subdivisions in Pickering or Milton. Or anything anywhere else.

Agree, I am not singling out Toronto. It's a global trend so far as I can tell. But not only cheap materials, the quality is highly suspect as well. Check out some of the PDI stories in this thread, such as this post. A tradesman actually performed this work and deemed it acceptable. And, I assume, his supervisor or whoever else was working with him. If they gave this (and many of the other obvious issues) a pass, what is hidden behind the walls? But this is just one example.

Fact is, they just seem to be slapping these up for quick cash, then riding off into the sunset leaving owners with shoddy half-assed homes they paid damn good money for.

It's all a trade off.

Suburbs = Spacious homes / Horrible commute

Downtown = No commute / Tiny space

House in Midtown = More Space / Expensive with short commute

Pick your poison. :D

It's all a trade off.

Suburbs = Spacious homes / Horrible commute

Downtown = No commute / Tiny space

House in Midtown = More Space / Expensive with short commute

Pick your poison. :D

Well you do have lots of apartment buildings in the suburbs like Dixon rd or near fairview mall, and lots of houses near downtown like the annex or cabbagetown. I guess that counts as midtown?

Back