News   Apr 18, 2024
 297     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Are we living in the greatest construction boom in Toronto history?

The fact that most of the best neighbourhoods and attractions aren't accessible by subway, and the streetcar maps in the past have been difficult to understand, probably contributes to the problem.

For example: the Distillery District is a pretty great neighbourhood for tourists to walk around in, but it's fairly isolated and not very simple or easy to get to.

A proper DRL subway line would solve that.

If we wanted to be a world class city, we would turn Ontario Place into a world class attraction.
I think Ontario's Place's time has past. So has to Ex to be honest.
The fact that most of the best neighbourhoods and attractions aren't accessible by subway, and the streetcar maps in the past have been difficult to understand, probably contributes to the problem.

For example: the Distillery District is a pretty great neighbourhood for tourists to walk around in, but it's fairly isolated and not very simple or easy to get to.

A proper DRL subway line would solve that.
Agreed. The DRL is crucial, but I don't like how we only plan to build a stubway.

I love Toronto. It's an amazing city to live in and it's easy to have a good time. But I agree what you guys are saying about being a tourist. There's really no draw to come to Toronto for people who live in other big North American cities. Montreal is a good example of a city that is an amazing tourist draw... I go every summer for that exact reason. Everything there is well connected, easy to get to, I find the city has a unique feel with the French culture, the Bixi bikes, the old architecture, the churches, well lit buildings, world class food as well as clubs, etc. They have cool unique attractions like Old Montreal, Old Port, Mont Royal, a kick ass Gay Village etc. The city has fireworks all the time and overall just seems to have their act together for making tourists have a great time. It's a recipe for success. Toronto on the other hand doesn't have that... not yet at least. There's nothing "unique" about it. People aren't going to come to TO to go up the CN Tower and go to an aquarium.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Toronto's current construction boom. Discussion about Toronto versus Montreal, or other cities, as a tourist destination can surely be found on more relevant threads.

I suppose to accurately answer the question posed by this thread, one would need more historic data.

According to one source, the population of Toronto increase 140% between 1899 and 1914, from 193,000 to 470,000 (http://www.citiescentre.utoronto.ca...Harris+1987+Growth+Home+Ownership+Toronto.pdf). How would are current boom compare to that period? (A National Post article from 2013 quotes a slower population growth in the current boom (http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...ho-boomers-flock-towards-urban-centre-report/).

What about the period between the end of WWI and 1930, which saw the construction of the Prince Edward Viaduct, Union Station, the elevated railroad embankment on the waterfront, the Bank of Commerce Building, the Royal York Hotel, plus many of the residential neighbourhoods surrounding the core?

Does the changing skyline tell the story in terms of comparing booms?

1885/1895:

skyline1885-1895.jpg

1919:

skyline1919.jpg

1930:

skyline1930.jpg

We do know that the 1930 skyline stayed pretty much the same until the boom of the 1960's.

skyline1960s.jpg

Attachments

• skyline1885-1895.jpg
    skyline1885-1895.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 778
  • skyline1919.jpg
    skyline1919.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 694
  • skyline1930.jpg
    skyline1930.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 794
  • skyline1960s.jpg
    skyline1960s.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 714
Last edited:
Yes we have diversity and lots of restaurants. So does Montreal, and I'd argue their food tastes better.

Nah. When it comes to food anything east of central Europe, Toronto does it much better. Except maybe Lebanese & Syrian cuisine.

Re: building boom

From http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...o_councils_final_meeting_before_election.html:

What council is doing this week is approving a staggering $21-billion of development, though that isn’t receiving a lot of attention, Councillor Joe Mihevc (Open Joe Mihevc’s policard) said.
“If ever there was a meeting that signified the Manhattanization of downtown (Toronto) it was the approval of 750 storeys of new development, mostly concentrated in the downtown area,” he said during a break from voting on motions.
That’s 7,000 new condo units in addition to the 70,000 already approved and in the pipeline, he said. “We’re not at the end of the cranes in downtown Toronto.”

People aren't going to come to TO to go up the CN Tower and go to an aquarium.

Say whaaaaa?? Tens of thousands of people come to Toronto to do exactly that. Also the Zoo, the Science centre, Wonderland, Tiff, Pride, Caribana, Buskerfest, North By Northeast and tons of other festivals and cool neighbourhoods. They also hit up the Distillery, St Lawrence Market, the Rom, AGO and Casaloma. There's just as much to do here for tourists as there is in Montreal, and lots of those things are absolutely unique to Toronto.

Last edited:
Nah. When it comes to food anything east of central Europe, Toronto does it much better. Except maybe Lebanese & Syrian cuisine.

Ditto. Plus you have to visit multiple neighbourhoods/areas for a diverse selection of restaurants in Montreal. In Toronto, that is not the case.

And good luck finding really spicy food in Montreal! Even Paris is better than Montreal when it comes to spicy food.

The old architecture is beautiful though (only Quebec City is a worthy opponent on a smaller scale). And Montreal is a great city to visit in the summer - all the free festivals...

Last edited:
Say whaaaaa?? Tens of thousands of people come to Toronto to do exactly that. Also the Zoo, the Science centre, Wonderland, Tiff, Pride, Caribana, Buskerfest, North By Northeast and tons of other festivals and cool neighbourhoods. They also hit up the Distillery, St Lawrence Market, the Rom, AGO and Casaloma. There's just as much to do here for tourists as there is in Montreal, and lots of those things are absolutely unique to Toronto.

I'd say Carribana especially brings in tons of visitors from outside Canada.

Back