Are Our Transit Maps Tricking Us?

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
Are Our Transit Maps Tricking Us?

Aug 27, 2012

By Jessica Gross

logo.gif

Read More: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2012/08/are-our-transit-maps-tricking-us/3072/

London’s city center takes up about two percent of the city. On the Tube map, it looks four times as big. Over in New York City, Central Park—which is a skinny sliver, much longer than it is wide—was depicted in some 1960s and ‘70s IRT maps as a fat rectangle on its side. So public transit maps are distorted, quite on purpose. All of them enlarge city centers. Many use a fixed distance between stations out in the boonies, even if, in reality, they’re spaced wildly differently. Curvy lines are made straight. Transfers are coded with dots, lines, and everything in between.

- According to Zhan Guo, an assistant professor of urban planning and transportation policy at NYU Wagner, certain cities allow for more flight of fancy than others. San Francisco and New York have a lot of geographic markers, so passengers will only accept so much map distortion. New York’s grid system further discourages excessive futzing. In Chicago, the line is elevated, which leaves even less leeway. But in a place like London, with twisty streets, few geographical markers other than the Thames, and an underground system, you can pull a lot more over on people. Not that transit map distortions are malicious. A lot of these simplifications are necessary for good design. If people could keep a geographically accurate map in their heads, we might use them more—but, as we’ve known for decades, we can only remember so many discrete bits of information at once.

- Schematic maps, by necessity, balance between detail and readability. “If you try to get everything in, it becomes meaningless, usually,†says Lance Wyman, who designed D.C.’s Metro map more than 30 years ago and is redesigning it to incorporate the new Silver Line. When Wyman, who also designed the Mexico City Metro map, sits down to convert a wily transit system into something people can understand, he aims not just to make it readable, but to enable each viewer to describe it to a friend. The stations need to be sequenced correctly, and their intersections must be clear. Color-coding helps—but be mindful of the colorblind. Keep the map legible—which includes simple station names. Finally, give the map some character: "A big part of my work has always been to integrate the essence of the community," Wyman says. "From my own experience, when it works, everyone kind of sees that it works."

- In an extensive study of the London Tube, published last year, Guo found that passengers tend to take routes that look shorter, even if they’re actually longer. This is no small difference: the map depiction is about two times more influential than lived experience. Passengers who knew the system well were less likely to be duped than first-time riders, but even they still regularly fell under the Tube map’s spell. It makes intuitive that sense that we prefer transfers that look convenient, but convenience gets tricky when complicated transfers appear simpler than they actually are. In the London Underground, the Victoria and Oxford Circus stations are depicted as dots, while Baker St. and Bank/Monument are each two dots connected with lines. The first two involve relatively complex transfers, but by modeling the various alternatives a passenger on a given route must consider before making a transfer choice, Guo calculated that their codification on the map might attract 960 and 516 additional passengers, respectively, every workday. As for Baker St. and Bank/Monument? That dot-line-dot icon, which looks like it involves an underground trek, probably deters 216 and 147 respective passengers each day.

- Or take the enlarged-center syndrome. In Boston, the distance from Park St. to Downtown Crossing looks at least a mile long on the MBTA map (at left) but in reality, it’s easily walkable. If we blindly rely on the map, we’ll probably waste time. Individual decisions bloom into system-wide effects. Center enlargement—a necessity if you want all the names and transfers to be legible—has a dual effect on mass behavior, Guo surmises. "Those last one or two stops are generally in an urban center, so they tend to congest the system," he says. If passengers got out at Park St. and walked instead of transferring for one stop, it would clear out a ton of human traffic underground. The flip side: the apparently short distance from the outskirts to downtown areas could make city hubs seem much more accessible to many people who live far away. Which leads to Guo’s big question: "Can we change the map in order to change people’s behavior?"

largest.png

Meanwhile, in Toronto:

subway_map_white.gif

The distance between Bay and Bloor-Yonge stations look longer than the distance between Warden and Kennedy stations. In fact, the distance between Warden and Kennedy stations (the longest of the TTC at 2.73km, longer than the distance between Eglinton West and St. Clair West stations by approximately 300m) is many times greater than the distance between Bay and Bloor-Yonge stations (425m). The Cumberland Terrace has entrances to both Bay and Bloor-Yonge stations.

City centres tend to be shown as larger than they actually are because that's where a lot of the lines converge. Make it too small (or scale it relative to everything else on the map), and it becomes an illegible blur.

In my mind though, the biggest distortion with the TTC map (which has been corrected in the new TRs) is the N-S positioning of the Spadina Subway. In reality it would line up almost right overtop of Ossington Stn, but instead it's shown overtop of Bathurst Stn.

Also, the map is quite generous to the length of the Sheppard Subway, especially when you consider how squished together the last few outer stations of B-D are. It makes it look like Sheppard is about 3/4 of the length of B-D from Yonge, when in reality it's about half.

This issue has irked me for too long. The N/S axis is skewed beyond comprehension to the point of absurdity. Union to Bloor looks almost identical to the distance between Bloor and Sheppard...which is 4 times the f**king distance! I understand that our maps had to be squished in order to fit into that tight space between the subway's windows and ceiling, but c'mon.

How ridiculous will our maps look once Eglinton is completed?!?

This issue has irked me for too long. The N/S axis is skewed beyond comprehension to the point of absurdity. Union to Bloor looks almost identical to the distance between Bloor and Sheppard...which is 4 times the f**king distance! I understand that our maps had to be squished in order to fit into that tight space between the subway's windows and ceiling, but c'mon.

How ridiculous will our maps look once Eglinton is completed?!?

I think the bigger issue will come when the Spadina extension is completed, because it will squish the N-S axis even further! The North Yonge extension will go even further up as well. At least with Eglinton it runs E-W, which the current map seems relatively set up to handle without having it look ridiculous (minus the fact that Eglinton & Eglinton West and Kennedy don't line up, so Kennedy will need to be moved further up the map).

I think once the Spadina Extension is completed the TTC should switch to having wall-mounted maps for the whole system, and just a line map showing connection points to other lines in the banner. Especially when TC is completed, the map may actually be confusing to people instead of looking pathetically small.

Maps don't have to be geographical. And of course, even geographic maps distort reality. Schematic maps only trick you if you are an idiot. The point is to show connections and label stops and other relevant info to riding transit in a compact manner. Having lots of empty space? Not as necessary.

I get both of the above points. But IMO there's a difference between "not to scale" and severely distorted.

Also, the map is quite generous to the length of the Sheppard Subway, especially when you consider how squished together the last few outer stations of B-D are. It makes it look like Sheppard is about 3/4 of the length of B-D from Yonge, when in reality it's about half.

Yes, but the issue has more to do with the far east end of the Danforth line than Sheppard. Don Mills and Coxwell are both about the same distance away from Yonge St, and both are on top of each other in the map.

I think our subway map should focus on the time required to get between stations. For example, it is about 10 minutes from Finch to Lawrence, 10 minutes from Lawrence to Bloor, and 7 minutes from Bloor to Union. On a map, these distances could all be about the same.

I think our subway map should focus on the time required to get between stations. For example, it is about 10 minutes from Finch to Lawrence, 10 minutes from Lawrence to Bloor, and 7 minutes from Bloor to Union. On a map, these distances could all be about the same.

Funny you should mention that.... one of my favorite maps from a while back.... http://jrosselet.com/projects/rocketbytime.jpg

rocketbytime.jpg

Last edited:
^Ouch! If they would have added the Roncessvalles and Broadview legs, the 504 would have had to dip way down into Lake Ontario before curling around in a wide hook to get back to connect to the respective BD stations.

That map is further evidence that we need a DRL stat!

As I read this I thought to myself... Why not provide blow ups of the local area to compliment the macro level view of the overall system map. Some stations in the core have this in paper form but perhaps with lcd screens we could do this in the vehicle itself, allowing people to view the relative location of the train and it's surrounding area and letting them make decisions with that information.

Furthermore. If you have ever tried to look up a map of London's subway or New York's you quickly realize that you simply can not look at it as one whole. The system is divided up into different areas in order, I'm assuming, to provide a clearer view of the system. As the Toronto system grows we may have to accept that the system map will have to be divided into areas (just like the bus route map) say like Etobicoke, Toronto(Core), Scarborough, and York/North York.

As I read this I thought to myself... Why not provide blow ups of the local area to compliment the macro level view of the overall system map. Some stations in the core have this in paper form but perhaps with lcd screens we could do this in the vehicle itself, allowing people to view the relative location of the train and it's surrounding area and letting them make decisions with that information.

Furthermore. If you have ever tried to look up a map of London's subway or New York's you quickly realize that you simply can not look at it as one whole. The system is divided up into different areas in order, I'm assuming, to provide a clearer view of the system. As the Toronto system grows we may have to accept that the system map will have to be divided into areas (just like the bus route map) say like Etobicoke, Toronto(Core), Scarborough, and York/North York.

The TTC can't even keep their subway cars stocked with maps, or have working lightbulbs behind those maps... The LCD screen is a cool idea, but based on how well the current maps are up kept, yeah...

Back