News   Jul 23, 2024
 492     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 556     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.6K     3 

Are Our Transit Maps Tricking Us?

As the Toronto system grows we may have to accept that the system map will have to be divided into areas (just like the bus route map) say like Etobicoke, Toronto(Core), Scarborough, and York/North York.

Yeah, maybe in 500 years when we'll have hopefully have two more subway lines.

The TTC Subway/RT Map: Designed as a rectangular "Car Card"...

Meanwhile, in Toronto:

subway_map_white.gif

The distance between Bay and Bloor-Yonge stations look longer than the distance between Warden and Kennedy stations. In fact, the distance between Warden and Kennedy stations (the longest of the TTC at 2.73km, longer than the distance between Eglinton West and St. Clair West stations by approximately 300m) is many times greater than the distance between Bay and Bloor-Yonge stations (425m). The Cumberland Terrace has entrances to both Bay and Bloor-Yonge stations.

JA: Remember that this TTC Subway/RT map was purposely designed in this manner
to be placed in transit vehicles as a "car card"...

I have one of these posted on a wall at home here on LI that I got back in the 80s
before the Scarborough LRT line opened...

It would be interesting to find out exactly how often the TTC updated these maps...
Was it only when new lines or stations began operation?

I will also add that the CTA in Chicago used "car card" type maps in their rail cars...

I have one of their maps dated 1986 displayed along with the TTC map...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
It would be interesting to find out exactly how often the TTC updated these maps...
Was it only when new lines or stations began operation?

The TTC has a program running to add elevators to all stations and the map in the subway cars has icons to note which stations have them. Every time an installation is completed the official map is updated. They are going at a rate of about two per year. St. Andrew was the most recent one to finish and next up will probably be Castle Frank.

^Ouch! If they would have added the Roncessvalles and Broadview legs, the 504 would have had to dip way down into Lake Ontario before curling around in a wide hook to get back to connect to the respective BD stations.

That map is further evidence that we need a DRL stat!

Actually, the streetcar times on that map are very good, so good they are actually an argument against a DRL. But I just can't believe them. 3 minutes from Parliament to Yonge on the 505? I don't think so. Not even on a Sunday at midnight.

The TTC has a program running to add elevators to all stations and the map in the subway cars has icons to note which stations have them. Every time an installation is completed the official map is updated. They are going at a rate of about two per year. St. Andrew was the most recent one to finish and next up will probably be Castle Frank.

The current project at Castle Frank is to add a second exit only, not an elevator. The list of elevators to be constructed through 2016 can be found at: http://www.ttc.ca/TTC_Accessibility...Plan/Accessible_Service_Transit_Plan_2011.jsp

The current project at Castle Frank is to add a second exit only, not an elevator. The list of elevators to be constructed through 2016 can be found at: http://www.ttc.ca/TTC_Accessibility...Plan/Accessible_Service_Transit_Plan_2011.jsp

Montréal's Metro has only seven accessible stations. The TTC has 31 stations with elevators.

plan-metro.jpg

Building more elevators would be considered gravy by some, so the target year for all existing TTC stations to have elevators has been extended to 2025.

Last edited:
Building more elevators would be considered gravy by some, so the target year for all existing TTC stations to have elevators has been extended to 2025.

I think the issue is more that elevators are expensive and that the TTC wants to spread out that capital cost as far as the AODA will allow, which is up to 2025. Not to mention the poor project management on the TTC's part which means it's rare that an elevator project finishes on time, which seems to push back other projects as they seem to only be able to support a few at a time. The next station that is supposed to be complete, Pape, was originally supposed to be finished this year but there's no way that is going to happen considering the elevator shaft is still a large uncovered hole in the ground.

To go a bit more back on topic, that Montreal map is surprisingly geographically accurate, excluding the left half of the orange line which does shift around somewhat in real life.

Re: Elevators

It's even more difficult to install elevators on the Bloor line, because it basically requires 3 separate elevators to be installed (one from ground level to the concourse, two from the concourse to each side platform).

But yes, I don't consider adding elevators to be gravy, and I think the TTC is right in prioritizing certain higher usage stations over others.

Back