News   Jul 15, 2024
 454     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 599     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 573     0 

Apple Store

It used to be nearly always possible to book an appointment within a 3 hour period. In fact, Ron Johnson the original VP of Retail set that as a target for the Genius Bar. Now it can take up to a week. Imagine your iPhone breaks... you have to spend a week without a phone? That's not acceptable and Apple needs to seriously step up.

MetroMan, are you sure?

My iPhone had an issue (for months now) that the lock button does not work. I've been relying on that odd button for disabled people to lock my phone so I neglected to go get it replaced. I made an appointment yesterday afternoon for this morning at 10:50 to have the phone replaced at the Eaton Centre.

That wouldn't be a week...

I still say that the former Bank of Toronto building at 205 Yonge would be perfect.
Some iPhone 5's (and I'm reading 5C's & 5S's) have known problems with Wifi, mine included. My first exchange was with Bell but they wouldn't do another when the second one failed, my third & forth exchanges were at the EC Apple Store & I had to wait 2-3 days each time, not so bad - but that was about a year & a half ago (I have an iPhone 5). The forth iPhone worked perfect with Wifi, but they gave me a refurbished phone which I wasn't happy about but at least it works. The problem I had more than the phone was waiting around for the Genius to become available, the store was so packed everyone was pushing into each other to move around or get to test or buy merchandise. I don't really have any problem with crowds but my experience in the Apple store was horrific, I was soaked with sweat and really anxious each time I came out. I'd never, ever shop in an environment like that so hopefully I never have to return there. Btw, this was very shortly after the EC Apple store expansion.

Agreed re the overall experience. I buy my Apple products online and only go to the store if I have to go to the Genius Bar after exhausting all other options to resolve an issue. I love Apple but I don't like their stores.

Apple wouldn't be able to have Yonge Street frontage, as that level will be Nordstrom's.

We don't know that Nordstrom has the entirety of the ground floor or all of the Yonge Street frontage (unless I have missed something in the last few days). The GFA of the Nordstrom store is smaller than three storeys of that floorplate (and presumably Nordstrom is taking all of 2 and 3), so the guess is that Cadillac has room to provide another retailer some ground floor/Yonge Street access (not to mention some sort of street level entrance to the office space on the upper floors, possibly via Dundas near Joeys). Whether that retailer is Simons, the Apple store, or someone else, depends on what speculation one chooses to believe.

We don't know that Nordstrom has the entirety of the ground floor or all of the Yonge Street frontage (unless I have missed something in the last few days). The GFA of the Nordstrom store is smaller than three storeys of that floorplate (and presumably Nordstrom is taking all of 2 and 3), so the guess is that Cadillac has room to provide another retailer some ground floor/Yonge Street access (not to mention some sort of street level entrance to the office space on the upper floors, possibly via Dundas near Joeys). Whether that retailer is Simons, the Apple store, or someone else, depends on what speculation one chooses to believe.

Taking the Roots store will give Apple Yonge Street frontage and mall entry. If Roots moves, that spot is pretty much perfect, IMHO.

I think Apple would need at least double the space that the Roots store offers. They already turned down the space Sephora is currently in, prior to Sephora taking it.

Taking the Roots store will give Apple Yonge Street frontage and mall entry. If Roots moves, that spot is pretty much perfect, IMHO.

Is there any suggestion that Roots plans to give up some or all of its current space in the Eaton Centre, other than the fact that they are vacating a similarly large store on Bloor? I've always heard that Roots has had a hard time making a go of it with the Bloor Street store, but I've not heard the same about the Eaton Centre store. Maybe others have heard something.

...you have to hunt down somebody and everybody's always busy -- it's ridiculous.
Just pay using the AppleStore app and it will charge it to your iTunes basically. It may seem weird walking out of the store with product in hand and without having dealt with a salesperson, but it is legit and totally fast.

There needs to be two more Apple stores (one in Yorkville (to serve U of T students as well) and one in Scarborough Town Centre (to serve UTSC students (and denizens of Scarborough, deprived of Apple Stores) as well) (and an upgraded Eaton Centre one (to serve Ryerson students as well)) (and perhaps one in Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (to serve both York U students and the city of Vaughan)) to maintain that target. Apple is a victim of its own success.
I think a Financial District location in the PATH or perhaps the new Union Station mall would make a lot of sense too. Maybe even Yonge & Egs as well!

Apple would be insane not to go into Union Station. Osmington would be insane not to lure them into it. Osmington have already said they're bringing some special stuff to Union Station. If they can do anything like Apple's Grand Central Terminal store here… that would count as special.

Apple would be insane not to go into Union Station. Osmington would be insane not to lure them into it. Osmington have already said they're bringing some special stuff to Union Station. If they can do anything like Apple's Grand Central Terminal store here… that would count as special.

Ah yes, Union Station, the transportation hub of Toronto. Apple would be making so much money there, especially when the Pan Am Games come.

Apple is by far the most profitable store by square footage. They would want to have very large space.

Maybe I am mis-reading what you intend....but having the highest profit/sales psf is a function of sales and area. The key is to sell as much high margin stuff as you can in as small a space as you can. Increasing the size of the store because you are doing well on a psf basis is not intuitive.

Maybe I am mis-reading what you intend....but having the highest profit/sales psf is a function of sales and area. The key is to sell as much high margin stuff as you can in as small a space as you can. Increasing the size of the store because you are doing well on a psf basis is not intuitive.
I know, right.

Apple already has the highest sales per square foot, but having as small space as possible can lead to fire hazards and long wait times for Genius Bar appointments.

Back