News   Apr 18, 2024
 386     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

Anyone subscribe to the Globe and Mail? Thoughts?

I’m thinking of canceling my G&M subscription. I find that most of the front sections articles are opinion pieces rather than investigative news.

Most?

Interesting. Not sure I follow. I read the G+M regularly, though mostly the week-end edition.

....and I read it rather carefully.....see: my signature (not the chemistry bit)

I canceled my online G&M subscription today. I found I just wasn‘t reading it, and I kept asking myself when I did look that surely there must be more to a newspaper than Covid, social/racial justice issues and fluff opinion pieces. G&M charges me $6.73 a month on a promo rate vs. $4.52 for the NY Times, the latter of which I read frequently (skipping much of the Covid and social justice content).

My online news is now BBC, CBC, NYT and the occasional peek into the nutty world of Fox. I may renew my Washington Post subscription, but for now I just saved myself $80.76. Next to go might be Amazon Prime, since free shipping is often faster than Prime shipping, and there’s nothing on their channel I want to watch anymore - if Mrs. Mazel comes back we can talk.

I cancelled because I became sick of the constant left-wing crusading and editorializing from the news pages. I thought I’d miss ROB but really, you get more informed Canadian business and economics coverage from Bloomberg, and occasionally from the FT and WSJ, all online. The one downside of cancelling has been missing out on death notices for friends’ parents, because for Canada nothing compares to the Globe’s obit section. Now that I think of it, I also miss Doyle’s (was it Doyle?) frequent evisceration of Canadian television. But aside from the obits and Doyle, I don’t miss a thing.

I'm also on a very low promotional rate until October; not sure what I'll do after that. While I am ok with the little actual progressive content they have - after all, most Canadians vote on the left or centre - I am just as likely to be irritated by some right-wing nonsense that I make an effort to read anyway, so all in all it has enough of a balance that I might consider renewing, as long as the price is right. The writing in the NYT is considerably better so I keep my subscription, though for my sanity, I avoid reading too much about the numerous dumpster fires raging down there and that infuriate my American husband. Their Cooking section is a must; I use it most days, especially now.

I was on a promo subscription rate of about $8/mo. Once the promo ended I got dinged with a $34 charge. I will be cancelling as that's way too much for a single month of digital content. The Washington Post had a promo for 1-year of digital content for just under $40. It's certainly very left-side of the table and anti-Trump, but very in depth and excellent reading, IMO. After my 1-year promo ends, it will go up to about $75/year - way more reasonable than G&M.

I cancelled because I became sick of the constant left-wing crusading and editorializing from the news pages. I thought I’d miss ROB but really, you get more informed Canadian business and economics coverage from Bloomberg, and occasionally from the FT and WSJ, all online. The one downside of cancelling has been missing out on death notices for friends’ parents, because for Canada nothing compares to the Globe’s obit section. Now that I think of it, I also miss Doyle’s (was it Doyle?) frequent evisceration of Canadian television. But aside from the obits and Doyle, I don’t miss a thing.
Tell that to Media Bias/Fact Check:

I was on a promo subscription rate of about $8/mo. Once the promo ended I got dinged with a $34 charge. I will be cancelling as that's way too much for a single month of digital content. The Washington Post had a promo for 1-year of digital content for just under $40. It's certainly very left-side of the table and anti-Trump, but very in depth and excellent reading, IMO. After my 1-year promo ends, it will go up to about $75/year - way more reasonable than G&M.
I called to cancel my subscription and was offered a new promo rate of less than $7/4 weeks. At 80% off the regular price, I went ahead with the promo for the next 24 weeks.

I cancelled a couple years ago. I used to get the print version delivered. This year they have been a lot more aggressive with the phone calls. Just about every couple months they phone me with offers.

I cancelled a couple years ago. I used to get the print version delivered. This year they have been a lot more aggressive with the phone calls. Just about every couple months they phone me with offers.
With plenty of annoying telemarketers, many decided to ditch the landline and go purely cellular.

With plenty of annoying telemarketers, many decided to ditch the landline and go purely cellular.

Now the Jehovah's Witnesses are phoning! I had a call last month from them. Guy asked how i was doing during these covid times and can he read me some Bible scriptures? I hung up real fast!

I canceled my online G&M subscription today. I found I just wasn‘t reading it, and I kept asking myself when I did look that surely there must be more to a newspaper than Covid, social/racial justice issues and fluff opinion pieces. G&M charges me $6.73 a month on a promo rate vs. $4.52 for the NY Times, the latter of which I read frequently (skipping much of the Covid and social justice content).

My online news is now BBC, CBC, NYT and the occasional peek into the nutty world of Fox. I may renew my Washington Post subscription, but for now I just saved myself $80.76. Next to go might be Amazon Prime, since free shipping is often faster than Prime shipping, and there’s nothing on their channel I want to watch anymore - if Mrs. Mazel comes back we can talk.

The Man In The High Castle on Amazon Prime is fantastic, though I haven't found much else yet. I still gravitate to Netflix instead.

The Man In The High Castle on Amazon Prime is fantastic, though I haven't found much else yet. I still gravitate to Netflix instead.
Prime is gradually getting it together for content. Aside from the bigger draws like Grand Tour (if you can get past Jeremy Clarkson's general awfulness) they have some pretty decent movies. Apollo 11 with all that restored footage is a must-see, and they also have plenty of newly-added 90s blockbusters that are great time killers for these 40+ degree days.

Back