News   Oct 02, 2024
 214     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 535     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Anyone have any insights/opinions on John Turner?

• Thread starter The Mississauga Muse
  • Start date
T

The Mississauga Muse

From today's Star

061115_garth_turner_300.jpg

Turner to help Greens
Turner to aid in London by-election
But rules out joining the party himself
Nov. 15, 2006. 08:33 AM
BRUCE CAMPION-SMITH
OTTAWA BUREAU

OTTAWA—Elizabeth May's pitch to become the first Green party MP has received a boost from Commons' bad boy Garth Turner, who intends to campaign for her today in London.

The article ends with the quote:

"Canada's new government is suddenly looking a lot like the old ones, controlling power in Ottawa while it makes both voters and members of Parliament less relevant," he said.

"We have to break this tedious cycle of electing politicians who sell us on change and deliver same-old, same-old," he said.

I'd be appreciative.

It's Garth, btw.

I'll say he's one of the more interesting MPs in the House. He seems principled, but that may just be grandstanding.

It's too bad he won't be joining the Greens. That party will have a rough time until they can manage to get their voice into public discourse on a regular basis, esp. election debates.

John Turner is a loser. I mean he lost twice to Brian Mulroney! Come on!

As for Garth Turner, good for him. He's injected a bit of spice into recent federal politics, and I am glad he's got some backbone - he represents the fiscal side of the conservatives, and obviously does not fit in with the more scary Reform social conserative part of the party, which has a lot of clout.

I would have liked to see him join the Greens, but good that he is willing to do his own thing.

John Turner got to dance with Princess Margaret. The best Brian Mulroney could do was to sing for Ronald Reagan.

Yes. *blush* sorry. I can't believe my fingers typed "Garth" and it came out "John".

It gets worse too. I read the message over before posting! That means my eyeballs read "Garth" for "John".

afransen TO wrote:

He seems principled, but that may just be grandstanding.

That's why I'm asking. He seems prinicipled to me too. Believe it or not that struck me as odd. Like there glowed a flicker of hope as I read the article and I heard today that three others are abandonning their party to support Turner.

You know, hope.

(with apologies to Future Mayor) I'm just getting to a point where I just feel like a sucker for pondering whether to actually believe in a politician anymore.

Thanks though.

Never quite lived up to expectations, our Johnny boy. I often saw him get on the subway at St. George while on his way to work.

pearsontrudeauturnerchretien_1960.jpg

Just curious as I can't remember, but where was JOHN Turner's riding?

John Turner

^ Vancouver Quadra. He apparently felt a strong emotional pull to the area as he had attended university there 40 years earlier and never had lived there again LOL.

Re: John Turner

He represented a Montreal riding originally, I think. He didn't move to Toronto until he left government in the 70s, and then represented Quadra after he got back into politics in the 80s. His mother lived on Salt Spring Island - I think that was his connection to the riding.

When I lived in midtown I would often see him on the subway on his way downtown.

Re: John Turner

Was he patting female behinds as he moved down the escalators?

Back