News   Mar 28, 2024
 265     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 637     0 

Anybody here have a local tailor?

Mustapha

Member Bio
Reaction score
I had a chance to walk through the workshop of mine. He's on Sherbourne street so that counts as Toronto content for this forum.:) Some of you folks here who are real estate folks might get a charge out of this sort of thing.

Yesterday around the supper hour, I visited Don Lee, sole prop. of Toronto's Trend Custom Tailors, to pick out some new shirtings.

Don has made 19 shirts and a suit for me over 2 years. I would order more suits but I work in the software industry and even senior level client meetings are sport jacket and JEAN affairs nowadays.

I had a camera handy and managed some quick shots as Don always graciously takes me around to see what's new in his Victorian mansion home/atelier.

P1000233.jpg

Some of the photos have a slightly furtive look - many of the garments were awaiting their owners and I wasn't about to remove plastic wrap and paw other peoples clothing for better photos.

As you scroll through the pics you will notice from the cuff styles that many of these shirts are either destined for dandified owners or after-hours wear.

P1000226-1.jpg

P1000221.jpg

P1000223-1.jpg

Sorry, over-exposure but you get the drift, I'm sure.
P1000224.jpg

One button surgeon cuff on suit coat with slight turnback - I think that's how Don described it...

P1000229.jpg

'Ladies Night': Yep, Don made this. Sometimes I wish I were a woman; then I could wear stuff like this.

P1000228.jpg

Some beautiful executive woman will soon wear this sexxy cuff. Speaking of cuffs, that's Don and his 'cocktail style' cuff - he has a great fondness for them.

P1000230.jpg

P1000232-1.jpg

Pic of one of Don's shirts in its natural element: being worn.:) Yes, I ASKED for that style cuff. Laundered this baby about 50 times now... fabric and workmanship holding up nicely...

P1000238.jpg

-Moose

How did you find Don? He has an assistant or two, I hope.

Haven't had a suit made since I was sixteen. I've had a couple of white dinner jackets run up at Harry Rosen ( Lou Rosen at their FCP store measured me - he's such an old sweetie ) for when I'm in a Bryan Ferry frame of mind; I last wore them to a couple of Luminato first nights in June. My black double breasted business power suit that was made for Ken Thomson, which I bought at The Bay, was altered there and fits well enough - though I hardly ever wear it. Most of the shirts I have made are either plain white, plain grey, or striped. Del Ray Cleaners on Parliament at Wellesley do an excellent chemical-free hand wash and ironing.

There's nothing to prevent you from wearing beautiful gowns now and then, Mustapha, if the mood so takes you. You don't actually have to change sex, y'know.

How did you find Don? He has an assistant or two, I hope.

Haven't had a suit made since I was sixteen. I've had a couple of white dinner jackets run up at Harry Rosen ( Lou Rosen at their FCP store measured me - he's such an old sweetie ) for when I'm in a Bryan Ferry frame of mind; I last wore them to a couple of Luminato first nights in June. My black double breasted business power suit that was made for Ken Thomson, which I bought at The Bay, was altered there and fits well enough - though I hardly ever wear it. Most of the shirts I have made are either plain white, plain grey, or striped. Del Ray Cleaners on Parliament at Wellesley do an excellent chemical-free hand wash and ironing.

There's nothing to prevent you from wearing beautiful gowns now and then, Mustapha, if the mood so takes you. You don't actually have to change sex, y'know.

urbanshocker,

Don has several staff that work there. The two shirtmakers - Rosa and Joanna are beautiful and capable.

Don will make you whatever you wish. I asked for a brit-style, nipped-waist, skirted, double-vent suit and that's what I got. I look veddy diplomatic in it.

As to your suggestion about womens wear; I will save that for the next UT meetup.:eek:

I had a chance to walk through the workshop of mine. He's on Sherbourne street so that counts as Toronto content for this forum.:) Some of you folks here who are real estate folks might get a charge out of this sort of thing.

-Moose

Thanks for posting, I now understand I recognized your name from SF.

I'm planning to visit Don for a blazer, then full suit, in March or so.

Thanks for posting, I now understand I recognized your name from SF.

I'm planning to visit Don for a blazer, then full suit, in March or so.

Good luck with your sartorial adventure. Don knows me as Mustapha as well as my real name. He knows I cross posted this at SF too.

Do you have a link for a price list. I use Maxwell Tailors right now but I'd like a crack at supporting local business if the prices are reasonable (for my budget).

Do you have a link for a price list. I use Maxwell Tailors right now but I'd like a crack at supporting local business if the prices are reasonable (for my budget).

Hi kEiThZ,

Don has a web site but no prices online.

Shirts are low 200s to start, for me.. for that I get turnback cuffs and, more recently, angled split shoulder yokes. I suppose if you wanted straightforward barrel cuffs and shoulders it might be cheaper. 3 shirt minimum order. Initially he never offered a fitting shirt but I never asked either. Suits start around 1200 for house cloth. I had a corduroy blazer - no pants - made a few weeks ago.. 1200.

It is expensive but I was spending more on ready to wear at Rosen sales and Winners and not coming out ahead money or appearance wise. I'm short and narrow shouldered, thick necked and my stomach pooches out and nothing looked good. I haven't gone the 'traveling tailor' option as you have; perhaps I might try it out some day. How's the experience, delivery time and the fit?

http://www.trendtailors.com/

P1000396.jpg

Hi kEiThZ,

Don has a web site but no prices online.

Shirts are low 200s to start, for me.. for that I get turnback cuffs and, more recently, angled split shoulder yokes. I suppose if you wanted straightforward barrel cuffs and shoulders it might be cheaper. 3 shirt minimum order. Initially he never offered a fitting shirt but I never asked either. Suits start around 1200 for house cloth. I had a corduroy blazer - no pants - made a few weeks ago.. 1200.

It is expensive but I was spending more on ready to wear at Rosen sales and Winners and not coming out ahead money or appearance wise. I'm short and narrow shouldered, thick necked and my stomach pooches out and nothing looked good. I haven't gone the 'traveling tailor' option as you have; perhaps I might try it out some day. How's the experience, delivery time and the fit?

http://www.trendtailors.com/

P1000396.jpg

Those are beautiful, there is nothing like a professionally tailored shirt! Nice fabric too, you can tell it's pleasant to the touch.

Those are beautiful, there is nothing like a professionally tailored shirt! Nice fabric too, you can tell it's pleasant to the touch.

Salgado has a sale price a couple of times a year - $165 per shirt if you buy three or more.

He's in the TD next to Bymark. A delightfully fashion-free environment.

http://torontoist.com/2008/02/making_the_clot.php

Thanks guys. Remember, you can't gain weight if you have a closet of closely fitted custom clothing.:)

Mustapha: That's actually one of the reasons I get shirts made.

I've never bothered with angled split shoulder yokes. Most of mine are either white or grey, and for the others - which are striped in either one colour or in black - I think the effect would look busy and draw the eye too much when I'm in shirtsleeves.

So ... I guess that means the yokes on you!

There was an ad for those travelling Chinese tailors in the paper recently. I've never been tempted. You go first, Mustapha. Tell us about it later. Go on, dare ya!

Mustapha,

is that an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak you're wearing? beautiful watch..

Yes ntsuch, thank you. I bought it years ago when business was good. I'm fortunate to have it. Royal de Versaille on Bloor street carries the line.

Back