News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 712     0 

Any VIVA riders out there?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought construction of the hospital was P3, but day to day operated under the Ministry of Health. The issues there are more related to operations and patient services not the construction. :confused:

The health-care staff work for the ministry. The maintenance, cleaning and food service staff, among others, work for a private company.

Brampton planners have told me that they want a seamless service into York U and/or Downsview subway once Acceleride is up and running in two years. One possibility is taking over Viva Orange (where it might finally get something it's been missing - passengers) or joint-running that route like the 77.

They don't see the point in kicking passengers off at Highway 50 or Highway 27 to transfer.

Wow. Transit planners with common sense.

The Acceleride buses could have a special door built into the left side: the bus crosses into York, meets up with a freshly turned around eastbound VIVA bus at speed. The special left side door of the Accelride opens as does the rear door of the VIVA bus. Passengers heading further into Vaughan (God forbid) transfer.

Accleride continues a couple of km past the west end of the VIVA line, turns around, then meets up with a westbound VIVA bus at speed. The special left side door of the Accelride opens as does the rear door of the VIVA bus. Passengers fleeing for Brampton transfer.

Some kind of electromagnetic coupling device mounted on either side of flexible, extendable arms surrounding the left-side door would help ensure passenger safety during the transfer, but bring an umbrella.

Always trying to be helpful.

Okay - I have some refinements.

The special left side door on the Acceleride buses splits open horizontally. The lower half lowers like a gang plank into the accepting orifice (back door) of the VIVA bus to create a level crossing. The upper portion raises to create a roof, covering about 90% of the distance between the vehicles, so a dash from one to the other during a rainstorm is mostly protected from the elements.

Once passengers have transfered, a former member of the Swedish Bikini team is waiting for them with hot face cloths and mint tea, and can be booked for massages.

Okay - I have some refinements.

The special left side door on the Acceleride buses splits open horizontally. The lower half lowers like a gang plank into the accepting orifice (back door) of the VIVA bus to create a level crossing. The upper portion raises to create a roof, covering about 90% of the distance between the vehicles, so a dash from one to the other during a rainstorm is mostly protected from the elements.

Once passengers have transfered, a former member of the Swedish Bikini team is waiting for them with hot face cloths and mint tea, and can be booked for massages.

I am totally presenting that to the Metrolinx board!!!:D

I think I saw this in a movie once. A bus was rigged that once it got up to spped, it would trigger a bomb. Then the bus' speed could not go under the a set speed or 55 MPH or it would explode.

I think it was called The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down.

I think I saw this in a movie once. A bus was rigged that once it got up to spped, it would trigger a bomb. Then the bus' speed could not go under the a set speed or 55 MPH or it would explode.

I think it was called The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down.

You are aware of VIVA's "Bullock" stop, right? :)

^ Ha ha, the movie was called Speed, for those who don't remember it, and it made Sandra Bullock a star, or at least a B-lister.

It's good to hear that a "seamless" line is proposed for Brampton - York U - maybe Downsview. I feel sorry for the people in Brampton who are ill-served by transit, both on a local level and by GO. For all the attention being paid to Transit City and other Toronto initiatives (quite rightly, IMO), still the solution to gridlock is more and more required out in the 905. It will take Viva, Acceleride in Brampton, the Mississauga Transitway, and probably some other initiatives to really move the GTA toward transit and some partial solution, at least, to gridlock.

The future looks bright for the west end. I'm curious as to what we'll see in Durham. They are the definition of under-served.

at least they have lakeshore east...

canrob, that is a lot of transferring to get to your desitination. I am in Markham east as well but I rather take the GO Train even though it will cost me a little bit more. I want to avoid the hassle of so many bus transfers to get to work.

My area, Markham-Highway 7, is FINALLY getting VIVA service next month (Purple Line) and I was wondering if there were any current riders here? I'd love to hear your experiences.

My current commute involves walking to the Markham GO station, GO->Union, and then Union->College. I'm hoping to try out both Purple->Green->Don Mills->College (I wish they could have expanded Green out my way, but it looks like that will be next year at the earliest), and Purple->Blue/Pink->Finch->College).

I know it will take longer than GO, but it will save me 10 minutes of walking (my walk to GO is 15+ minutes), it will be more frequent, and it will be $86 less a month.

Any advice from current riders would be appreciated!

Back