News   Jul 29, 2024
 201     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 371     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 489     0 

Another useless Apple vs PC thread

^ Glad to see a Linux user :) I'm not hoping for Apple to steal away Windows' monopoly and become one themselves. I'm hoping for a computer environment where different OS's coexist and that seems to be what's coming. Apple is rapidly gaining marketshare, Google announced their OS, Sony and HP are hinting at their own as well.

I think Windows blew their monopoly by staying complacent for 5 years with one OS and then releasing one that over promised and under delivered. Windows 7 looks great but I think the ball for a multiple OS market has already started rolling.

Yeah the problem with Vista was that XP was too good for Microsoft.

They assumed everyone would buy the Vista because they assumed we loved XP so much.

Well they were wrong and many people stayed with their xp's or when they had to replace thier computers switched to Mac.

It is like what Sony did with the PS3.
Oh we sold 140 million plus Ps2's, that means everyone will buy the Ps3. They forget the main reason the Ps2 did so well because it was affordable.

^ XP for me personally was the final nail in the coffin. While it was great when it came out, it didn't solve the common Windows issues with viruses, spyware, bloating of the Registry overtime as to require a format/clean install every 6 months to a year... and so on....

I was happy on XP for the first year that it came out, then no new developments came along or were in the pipe to resolve all those issues so another OS suddenly become attractive. It so happened that so many PC developers in my office were using PowerBooks so after dispelling the common myths, I got one myself and never turned back.

^ XP for me personally was the final nail in the coffin. While it was great when it came out, it didn't solve the common Windows issues with viruses, spyware, bloating of the Registry overtime as to require a format/clean install every 6 months to a year... and so on....

I was happy on XP for the first year that it came out, then no new developments came along or were in the pipe to resolve all those issues so another OS suddenly become attractive. It so happened that so many PC developers in my office were using PowerBooks so after dispelling the common myths, I got one myself and never turned back.

I'm not sure what you mean. It's the opposite; when XP first came out it was buggy and had a lot of issues. Once a few service packs were released it became the stable OS everyone loves now. I've had it for years and can't remember the last time my system crashed...or had to be reformatted.

I'm not sure what you mean. It's the opposite; when XP first came out it was buggy and had a lot of issues. Once a few service packs were released it became the stable OS everyone loves now. I've had it for years and can't remember the last time my system crashed...or had to be reformatted.

For users who know what they're doing, XP can work pretty damn well. But, if you haven't yet, try this experiment: Give a non-nerd 15-year-old a cheap HP laptop with XP and all standard pre-installed software. Wait a few months. Then check out how well that computer's running. Even with automatic Windows Update and an antivirus program, you're still probably looking at a mountain of crap that takes five minutes to boot up.

It's not difficult to hose OS X, either. Careless users can defeat even very sophisticated security. Force users to rotate passwords every week, and you'll find their password on a post-it on their monitor.

For users who know what they're doing, XP can work pretty damn well. But, if you haven't yet, try this experiment: Give a non-nerd 15-year-old a cheap HP laptop with XP and all standard pre-installed software. Wait a few months. Then check out how well that computer's running. Even with automatic Windows Update and an antivirus program, you're still probably looking at a mountain of crap that takes five minutes to boot up.

Put any inexperienced computer user in front of any OS and the same thing can happen.

The fact is, XP has become far more stable and secure as time has gone by, not less.

I use linux... and i love it :)

Linux is good, although my problem with it was always with new laptops - they would work - but there was always something new that would not work - or would not work well - or took time to work through (in the past I have been involved in testing test releases of the kernel/drivers - self-compiled).

That, along with Vista was the original reason I decided to go with the macbook pro - "OS X" was an operating system (unix based) that just worked on a laptop without worrying about incompatibilities.

All I know I am keeping My Xp as long as I can, and when the computer finally dies I will get a Mac...

Then I will sit in Starbucks with my $5 dollar coffee and say to myself...

"I am so Great!!, I am so Great!!"

^ It's funny you should mention that. I notice that Macs are, what, 10% of computers out there, but they've got 95% of the "I work out of a cafe" market.

A friend of mine used to work at Le Gourmond on Spadina, and he told me that whenever he'd walk by a Mac user they tended to be on AIM or on the web, and on the rare occasion that a PC user came in, they'd tend to have a spreadsheet open or actual work of some sort.

^ It's funny you should mention that. I notice that Macs are, what, 10% of computers out there, but they've got 95% of the "I work out of a cafe" market.

A friend of mine used to work at Le Gourmond on Spadina, and he told me that whenever he'd walk by a Mac user they tended to be on AIM or on the web, and on the rare occasion that a PC user came in, they'd tend to have a spreadsheet open or actual work of some sort.

First, if you are looking at the laptop market (I assuming people don't bring desktop machines [or cash registers] to the cafe - numbers are all over the board - but the majority of apple sales are laptops) you will find that apple has a larger share of the laptop market, higher still among the student (younger gen) population - which means that you will see a higher percentage of apple laptops in cafes. I doubt you will see many students using spreadsheets either :eek:

Windows is a superior product for games, but IMHO, macs are better for business (yes I have MS Office on my machine) :rolleyes:

Personally, the only time I bring my laptop to a cafe - is when I want to test out my cisco vpn setup at home from another network location.

screw square one, apple need a FLAGSHIP store in Toronto, like a 2 story one. Kind of needed too. The one at Eaton is tiny, lol.
- devon (mac user :p)

I know it was in the works for the podium of 1 Bloor East. We saw how that turned out. Then there was a location that they were looking at just West of Avenue Road on Bloor. I'm not sure where things stand now but Apple is definitely scouting a location on Bloor for their flagship Toronto Apple Store.

considering the number of young and hip wannabees, an apple flagship store would do rather well in a place like Yorkville. :p

Yeah no doubt Mac is way better then PC but that does not make you special...

First, if you are looking at the laptop market (I assuming people don't bring desktop machines [or cash registers] to the cafe - numbers are all over the board - but the majority of apple sales are laptops) you will find that apple has a larger share of the laptop market, higher still among the student (younger gen) population - which means that you will see a higher percentage of apple laptops in cafes. I doubt you will see many students using spreadsheets either :eek:

Windows is a superior product for games, but IMHO, macs are better for business (yes I have MS Office on my machine) :rolleyes:

Personally, the only time I bring my laptop to a cafe - is when I want to test out my cisco vpn setup at home from another network location.

The common stereotype is that Apple has a large share of the student market, but that isn't really true, especially with the recession. Most students don't have the budget for a Mac. I'd say there overall market share in the laptop market is about 15% - 20%.

Back