News   Jul 12, 2024
 133     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.2K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 856     5 

another idiot from city council

(I hadn't made the connection that Fletcher was in fact the councilperson who had ties to the Communist Party - I also don't think it's really relevant.)

I did. The relevancy is towards those defending her.

I can't believe some of the replies that are touting the way Paula Fletcher handled herself at the "open to the public" budget meeting. This women is paid at least $100K a year to serve the people of her riding. She decided she wanted to be there and no one twisted her arm. A concerned taxpayer shows up and ask a question about the overspending in the budget and he's berated by Fletcher. How dare he question City spending and Paula Fletcher. Who does she think she is? For some of you that have shown sympathy for he, try and watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CJ2TDy2MuI

Last edited:
I honestly think public consultation is a crock because the majority of the public (maybe I'm exaggerating, maybe the majority of those that post comments on the star's site) are ignorant / to be frank, dumb and naive.

This is a terrible statement. An argument against democracy itself.

Lots of arguments to be made against direct democracy go along those lines. It's why we don't have direct democracy.

This has nothing to do with direct democracy (which would be ballot initiatives and the like, which are largely terrible. Look at California). Public consultation of this sort isn't binding in any form, however it allows people to have their voices heard outside of ticking a box on a piece of paper every four years. It's a very important component to basic democracy that people can do this. Even if we feel they're ignorant, dumb and naive.

Last edited:
Obama's political drubbing over things like saying the police in Connecticut acted 'stupidly' when they arrested that professor or making the point that some voters are politically disaffected and cling to guns and religions is a prime example of this.
Small point - it's Massachusetts, not Connecticut.

There seems to be too many elitist on this site. I get the impression that many of you feel that Joe Blow (Who should be led by the nose) doesn't have the right to question Paula Fletcher about how his/her tax dollars are spent? Am I wrong or just reading to much into these comments? Signed Joe Blow.

dahawk:

Considering you've just joined this site and made your home only in this particular thread, I don't think you are in a position to say whether there are too many "elitists" on this site. And those who claims to be "Joe Blow" oftentimes have absolutely nothing in common with the other "Joe Blow"s out there - wearing that title doesn't mean your voice is by default anymore worthwhile.

On this particular matter - I didn't find that particular individual to be any worse than your average deputant at public meetings in general - and while Fletcher does have some valid points, this is a consultation meeting - not a debate - the whole point was to listen to what the public has to say. For her to engage in this sort of behaviour just undermines the whole thing.

AoD

Last edited:
dahawk:

Considering you've just joined this site and made your home only in this particular thread, I don't think you are in a position to say whether there are too many "elitists" on this site. And those who claims to be "Joe Blow" oftentimes have absolutely nothing in common with the other "Joe Blow"s out there - wearing that title doesn't mean your voice is by default anymore worthwhile.

On this particular matter - I didn't find that particular individual to be any worse than your average deputant at public meetings in general - and while Fletcher does have some valid points, this is a consultation meeting - not a debate - the whole point was to listen to what the public has to say. For her to engage in this sort of behaviour just undermines the whole thing.

AoD

Your first paragraph illustrates exactly what I thought.
Your second paragraph seems to be some sort of apology for the first. But having said that you are the one the determined he was "your average deputant". I find that arrogant!
Have I missed anything?

I'd like to revise my statement about "too many elitists on this site", it should read "too many elitists on this thread".

dahawk:

Is it too hard to fathom that he has been reading UT before joining?

Back