News   Jul 12, 2024
 340     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.4K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 982     6 

another idiot from city council

She's questionning what he thinks should be cut if we're to achieve his goals. That is her job. She's standing up for a variety of important services and pointing out what would suffer if we followed his course.

And she's the difficult one when he claims that he "won't do her job" or "answer any more of your questions."

That doesn't make sense.

Wow. I just listened to parts of that video and I'm totally disgusted. She comes across as a complete tool.

Last edited:
She's questionning what he thinks should be cut if we're to achieve his goals. That is her job. She's standing up for a variety of important services and pointing out what would suffer if we followed his course.

And she's the difficult one when he claims that he "won't do her job" or "answer any more of your questions."

That doesn't make sense.

No, what she is doing is predicating her opinions on the notion that there is no other way. Her reaction suggests that there is no fat to cut in the Police department, TTC or elsewhere, and that any cuts will amount to taking food from the mouths of babies.

If the city can find 'efficiencies' every year, when they need to balance the budget, that have seemingly no impact on service, then it is legitimate to ask what else might they find? Why were these efficiencies not found before? How much is left to find? Could the revokeing of the Fiar Wage Policy alone offset the need for a tax increase? She has far greater accesses to the information and expertise in this area than do the general public. It is her job, not that of the public, to show that all that can be done, has. What councilor Fletcher has done is state that the city is operating as cost effectively as it can and any reduction in spending will cause dire consequences. I don't think that any sane person would believe that.

Part of me sympathises with David Miller in one regard. He makes the point, with increasing frequency, that "As for taxes, Toronto’s residential property tax rates are the lowest in the GTA – if not the entire province. Repeat after me: residential property taxes in Toronto are the lowest, period. ". Yet despite this residents are up in arms. Residents have no idea how good they got it. The city spends more and charges less than all the rest.

I'd like to drink some of his cool-aid, to live in millers world, life would be so rosy and problem free lol.

It's obvious that he's done the perfect job, and all joe pantalone needs to do is run on that now magazine platform. He'll win by a bloomberg landslide.

Next thing you know, he'll be comparing property taxes to NYC! - I would have no problem if he can also compare our transit system to theirs also.

Part of me sympathises with David Miller in one regard. He makes the point, with increasing frequency, that "As for taxes, Toronto’s residential property tax rates are the lowest in the GTA – if not the entire province. Repeat after me: residential property taxes in Toronto are the lowest, period. ". Yet despite this residents are up in arms. Residents have no idea how good they got it. The city spends more and charges less than all the rest.

The trouble with Miller's observation is that it fails to take property value into consideration. That varies considerably across the city. It's not unusual to find quite ordinary condos in the downtown with property values that could easily purchase a house in the suburbs. So unless there is a suggestion that people flee downtown for cheaper suburban digs - but a similar level of taxation - I don't really see how tax rates alone can tell us anything particularly useful.

The trouble with Miller's observation is that it fails to take property value into consideration. That varies considerably across the city. It's not unusual to find quite ordinary condos in the downtown with property values that could easily purchase a house in the suburbs. So unless there is a suggestion that people flee downtown for cheaper suburban digs - but a similar level of taxation - I don't really see how tax rates alone can tell us anything particularly useful.

Also, Toronto's taxes are lower due in large part to the concentration of office towers, condos and apartment buildings. The tax dollars collected per square foot are much higher than in the greater GTA.

I have no valid excuse for doing so, but I had the CFTO news on just not. This John Smith (if that is his real name) seems to be one of these right-wing gadflies that will often get under politicans skin until they lose their composure and pull one of these outbursts.

No excuse she is out of line.

Okay, so I watched the videos on youtube. I gotta say, that John Smith is the fool! Totally clueless. It's like a shareholder coming to a shareholder's meeting without knowing anything about the company--duh!

Is that his real name? I mean, John Smith is like Jane Doe.

Paula Fletcher has my vote!

Last edited:
Okay, so I watched the videos on youtube. I gotta say, that John Smith is the fool! Totally clueless. It's like a shareholder coming to a shareholder's meeting without knowing anything about the company--duh!

Is that his real name? I mean, John Smith is like Jane Doe.

Paula Fletcher has my vote!

Oh, I think he knows quite a bit about the spending habits at the City of Toroto. Unfortunately he didn't have the 800 page budget proposal given to him to peruse in advance. Seems you think the same as Fletcher-How dare he question her! Just sit there and be quiet like a good little comrade. God, who does he think he is to ask questions of a city councilor at an open budget committee hearing!

^He didn't ask any questions. He mumbled about cutting 4% but didn't know where to start. (He rambled about school lunches--I don't think the city should be paying for kid's meals at all! I loathe nanny states!)

I'd start by privatizing the TTC, making it illegal to be a unionized city employee, firing everyone that works for the city, selling off all TCHC buildings and land, raising property taxes by 15% (effective immediately), and more. :)

I consider myself a (super cheap) social libertarian.

And I refuse to believe his real name is John Smith. Prove it.

Finally, I admire the guts P Fletcher has--she's very naughty, I like that! Keep in mind she had probably been up for 15 hours straight by that point. She must've been a hot young thing back in the seventies.:)

Last edited:

Back