News   Jul 19, 2024
 165     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 902     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 445     1 

androiduk's My Toronto

Scientology photo

^ Their stance is that Scientology is a sham and does no real good. Demonstrations and lawsuits are common all over the world but this particular group with the masks has been very persistent. They have been outside the Scientology building at Yonge & St. Mary almost every weekend for about a year.

Thanks for the clarification of the of the activity in the photo.
I first thought that it was a photo of Scientologists demonstrating against the production of "My Mother's Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding"!

LOL, I never thought of it that way but I can see how you might get that impression. My fault for not explaining things. BTW, when the protesters first started they were right in front of the Scientology building but I guess the Church got a court order because now they keep their distance.

^ Their stance is that Scientology is a sham and does no real good. Demonstrations and lawsuits are common all over the world but this particular group with the masks has been very persistent. They have been outside the Scientology building at Yonge & St. Mary almost every weekend for about a year.

They are also members of a large internet subculture known collectively as "anonymous".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_(group)

Last edited:
I like how one of them is taking a picture of you taking a picture of them. In most cities they get harassed and monitored by the Church's private security people. Probably thinks you're one of them.

Ahhh, those U of T students, always brightening up the environment

pumpkin1.jpg

Excerpt from Rick Bebout's Promiscuous Affections:

1971: On August 26, Bill and I went to The Quest, at 665 Yonge -- once The Famous Door Tavern. Four upscale gay men, a dentist and jeweller among them, had bought the place and done it up in hope that others like them might like it.
In time those four were just one. He sold the business to Phil Stein, a straight Forest Hill neighbour of Norm Bolter, who told him the place would make pots of money. It did. "I look at the facts and figures, nothing else," Stein once said; he was soon and aptly known as "Philistine." But he did manage to make a gay bar quite unlike the two down the street.

The front was entirely refaced in light brown stucco, beige very in at the time, the door, the bar's name and a big "Q" the only things visible from the street. There was a dress code: no jeans.

On the main floor was a pleasant bar. Upstairs was a dance club, painted a rich blue when I first saw it, lit by an orange neon swirl curving across the ceiling from one end to the other. (That fixture would later be dead, as I recall; the place painted black.) There was a smaller bar upstairs, a stand up one.

The Quest was the first place I ever saw anyone -- in fact everyone -- standing up and walking around with a drink.

My Toronto-more interesting pics...

Android: More neat My Toronto pics! I will mention these:
12/11- U of T students-a rite of Fall passage I presume?
12/11-Talk about a HEAD shop-something this open you will NOT see in the USA...
Makes me think of Bob Dylan singing "Everybody MUST Get Stoned"
12/12- Yonge/Gerrard telephoto pic - those new light poles stand out here...
12/12- For Beer Lovers: Does that hearse have a hidden meaning let alone
the "666" name?
LI MIKE

Back