News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 945     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

androiduk's My Toronto

Little Trinity Anglican Church @ King & Parliament.

trinity.jpg

Attachments

• trinity.jpg
    trinity.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,190
Lee's Palace on Bloor West. Some of you may remember it better as the Oriental Palace where you could watch Asian girl bands over dinner.

leespalace.jpg

Attachments

• leespalace.jpg
    leespalace.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,534
Not too many examples of contemporary stained glass in the city. This is from 1961. Ernescliffe College on St. George.

stainedglass.jpg

Attachments

• stainedglass.jpg
    stainedglass.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 705
Last edited:
That last shot in particular brings back memories. Ernescliffe College was until 1991 or so Ewart College, a Presbyterian training college, originally for women, and largely for missionaries in its early days. In that year, the college merged with Knox College, on the main campus of the U of T, and the Ewart building was sold to the Roman Catholic Church. It then became Ernescliffe College. Way back in the distant past, when dinosaurs roamed freely on the earth, I briefly dated a young woman who lived there. It was an odd experience. Though I was actually a reasonably respectable young man at the time, the female gatekeeper at Ewart always treated me as if I had staggered in, with knuckles dragging on the ground and saliva dripping from my stained teeth, grunting, "Bring out your virgins!" It didn't last long, and, whatever the state of the young woman's hymen at the time, it was certainly not altered by me! But I did see that glass from the inside and it was not particularly attractive, as I recall.

The real reason I am posting, however, was to recall that in those days the name of the college appeared on the front wall of the building in large Roman capital letters, "EWART COLLEGE." The letter "E" from EWART had been stolen so many times by university pranksters that it had been bolted completely through the wall with the other end, I was told, in the Principal's office. She was not amused, apparently, about being the principal of WART COLLEGE.

At any rate, thanks for the photo, which brought forth some memories that I had laid aside for many years!

Last edited:
^Nice story 67, thanks.

Toronto Stock Exchange Building on Bay St. 1937 by George & Moorehouse. Frieze by Charles Comfort who designed it in a studio at the Studio Building near Yonge & Church.

tsx.jpg

Attachments

• tsx.jpg
    tsx.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 725

Back