News   Jul 17, 2024
 113     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 741     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 534     0 

AMC Yonge & Dundas opens at Toronto Life Square

I don't know what the techs are and don't really care....

all i know is i'm seeing superior picture quality and sharpness at AMC, and you can try to argue that till you're blue in the face but it still stands.

Guess what Steven Spielbergs new Indiana Jones film will only be available in 35mm prints (you can easily google this info) no digital prints. While I couldn't care less about Indy or Spielberg, I sadly believe that Cinema is an art form this illustrates a point. He actually is willing to lose money by foregoing digital prints because he believes it to be an inferior medium.

I have absolutely no allegiance of any kind to any multiplex as most of the films they show are in an abyss of banality. I've been to Scotia twice in the last 2 years. The notion of degraded film prints is complete bunk, most films at Scotia or any other multiplex barely have theatrical runs of more than six weeks hardly giving them any time to deteriorate.

The only theatre I frequent often (Cinemateque Ontairo) shows film prints which are sometimes 20 or 30 years old and which are in impeccable shape. The reason is these prints are handled by cinemas and projectionists with care and are presser ved in perfect shape.

My only interest in the AMC theatre lied in the fact or hope that it would have even a moderate effect on opening up the distribution channels for film here. For a city of this caliber we have one of the most atrocious makets for film distribution in North America. Sadly this hope was dashed.

I don't know what the techs are and don't really care....

all i know is i'm seeing superior picture quality and sharpness at AMC.

The picture is sure sharp, however it is robbed of detail/resolution, contrast and color. If you enjoy video games or watching films on a labtop it maybe to your tastes

AMC Guy:

I don't really know much about film distribution and how it gets decided which theatres show which films, but given the new theatre's location and local demographic is there any chance we might be seeing anything like Ryerson/UofT film fests, or maybe some indie or small-market selections once things get rolling?

When a film is being placed into market (in Ontario at least), the exhibitors will meet with a studio rep and make a bid for a product. We can offer X amount of seats for X long and offer you X amount of shows. Then the studio will make its choice and one of your local theaters will get screwed. Theaters that are competition zone theaters would LOVE nothing more than the chance to actually compete in their market, but until the laws are changed our hands are tied. Can you imagine if you walked into a video store and they told you that they don't have a certain movie because BillyBobs Video Emporium down the street got it instead? Stupid law, let us compete and get the politics out of the picture.

As far as Ryerson/UofT film fests go, I wish I could tell you. I honestly don't know. If I hear anything I will be sure to let you all know.

Excellent post AMC. Your absolutely correct that 35MM has the ability to look better but there are too many variables working against the format in today's multiplex.

What digital sound format is being used with this system at AMC?
I understand that 3D can't be projected using this system, is that true?

I am almost certain that the sound in use is 8 channel PCM (I will see if I can't confirm this). As far as 3D goes you are correct. the Sony's we have are not rigged for 3D at this time. There are currently at least 8 different types of 3D on the market and as soon as they have been fully tested we can expect and upgrade to allow for it. Currently the best one on the market appears to be a Dolby system. It has the greatest amount of depth and does not require a silver screen to implement.

Guess what Steven Spielbergs new Indiana Jones film will only be available in 35mm prints (you can easily google this info) no digital prints. While I couldn't care less about Indy or Spielberg, I sadly believe that Cinema is an art form this illustrates a point. He actually is willing to lose money by foregoing digital prints because he believes it to be an inferior medium.

I am fully aware of this. He would not let George use digital to film it and he doesn't want to release the film in digital. He has no problems advertising his new movie on digital, but he doesn't want it released that way. Too bad for him that he is the Director. At the end of the day the studio will do what they feel is best for them so they can make money. Time will tell as far as what happens.

The only digital anything that I have a problem with is what George Lucas did is with Starwars 1-3. Please avoid using digital sets! The actors already have enough challenges before them. Give them back their REAL sets so they have something to act against!

Shatner said it best. 'People can be very frightened of change...'

When a film is being placed into market (in Ontario at least), the exhibitors will meet with a studio rep and make a bid for a product. We can offer X amount of seats for X long and offer you X amount of shows. Then the studio will make its choice and one of your local theaters will get screwed. Theaters that are competition zone theaters would LOVE nothing more than the chance to actually compete in their market, but until the laws are changed our hands are tied. Can you imagine if you walked into a video store and they told you that they don't have a certain movie because BillyBobs Video Emporium down the street got it instead? Stupid law, let us compete and get the politics out of the picture.

As far as Ryerson/UofT film fests go, I wish I could tell you. I honestly don't know. If I hear anything I will be sure to let you all know.

You can forget about any film festivals or any indie or small market films ever showing at this venue. Even Tiff won't use this venue now for their festival. Do you see them spending money on renting 20 film projectors so they can have the festival there. Smaller films will not be available there anytime soon because 95 percent of art house chains in America still exhibit film over digital. Even Landmark Theatres, the biggest art house chain in the US, (almost the size of Cineplex Odeon) prefers film. The new theatres they build have DLP projectors but are only used when a film is not available in a 35mm print not the other way around. All the new multiplexes being built now and which will feature exclusive all digital projection are suburban complexes in middle America and not the markets for indies anyway.

Amc could have easily included 3 or 4 film projectors to show these films and even madeprofit in the short term from it. For example Cloverfield made less than a million dollars in all of North America last week, an absurdly low figure. After you take a given weeks 5 to 10 Hollywood films out of the equation a theatre can make more money by showing an indie in it's first month or so of distribution. You can see the programming at the AMC in Montreal to prove this theory. So why would Amc lose money in the short term, because by pushing this format and forcing a conversion the long term profits are staggering.

You can forget about any film festivals or any indie or small market films ever showing at this venue. Even Tiff won't use this venue now for their festival. Do you see them spending money on renting 20 film projectors so they can have the festival there. Smaller films will not be available there anytime soon because 95 percent of art house chains in America still exhibit film over digital. Even Landmark Theatres, the biggest art house chain in the US, (almost the size of Cineplex Odeon) prefers film. The new theatres they build have DLP projectors but are only used when a film is not available in a 35mm print not the other way around. All the new multiplexes being built now and which will feature exclusive all digital projection are suburban complexes in middle America and not the markets for indies anyway.

Amc could have easily included 3 or 4 film projectors to show these films and even madeprofit in the short term from it. For example Cloverfield made less than a million dollars in all of North America last week, an absurdly low figure. After you take a given weeks 5 to 10 Hollywood films out of the equation a theatre can make more money by showing an indie in it's first month or so of distribution. You can see the programming at the AMC in Montreal to prove this theory. So why would Amc lose money in the short term, because by pushing this format and forcing a conversion the long term profits are staggering.

Sounds to me that someone may be a bit of union supporter who can't handle the fact that new technology may be slowly making older tech. obsolete.

I'm a big fan of anything film related, even basic photography, but the reality is that technology evolves and makes other technologies less desirable. If we all stuck to this thinking maybe we still would have been floating around in Zeppelins and boarding the steam engine down at Union!

Wow, you talk and you talk and all I hear is more misinformation. AMC and Cineplex merged and ARE the largest enhibitor in the states.

You claim that indies don't do digital. Indies ARE the largest digital market on the planet atm. It is cheaper for them, easier for them.

Sounds to me that someone may be a bit of union supporter who can't handle the fact that new technology may be slowly making older tech. obsolete.

I'm a big fan of anything film related, even basic photography, but the reality is that technology evolves and makes other technologies less desirable. If we all stuck to this thinking maybe we still would have been floating around in Zeppelins and boarding the steam engine down at Union!

It's fortunate that your guillibility is so ingrained and intrinsic, for the corporations anyways. You should research the etymology of evolution, your argument might actually be compelling. This evolution is Devolution, you however seem to have an obsolesence fetish. I hope for you sake you develop some critical thought and look beyond the mechanics of consumption.

Wow, you talk and you talk and all I hear is more misinformation. AMC and Cineplex merged and ARE the largest enhibitor in the states.

You claim that indies don't do digital. Indies ARE the largest digital market on the planet atm. It is cheaper for them, easier for them.

I said Landmark Theatres in the states is the largest art house exhibitor, which it is and then I compared its size to the equivalent of Cineplex Odeon in Canada not the US Cineplex. your claims of objectivity as ludicrous as they are notwithstanding AMC, the indies you talk about which are shot digitally and shown digitally are not in this league of distribution, either at your monolith of mediocrity ar at any conventional theatre chains. I'm talking about mid level independent films shown in major urban markets, Paranoid Park, 4 months 3 weeks 2 days, Inland Empire are some examples

It's fortunate that your guillibility is so ingrained and intrinsic...

Your emotions are getting the best of you.

There is nothing incorrect with anything that AMC Guy has stated. I've observed technological changes in graphic arts, music and photography over a thirty year period, and the rationale has always been based on greater flexibility, better economics, reproducibility, and greater expressive possibility. Nevertheless, there are always people who wish to keep older methods alive. The driving rationale for technological change is that it offers up more avenues of exploration and expression. It does not - or should not - assume that earlier mediums or systems are bad (which is the point you are making).

The choice of using film for both production and exhibition is an aesthetic choice and thus a subjective choice of the producer or artists. It is how they wish to express themselves based on what they think is best. That being said, AMC Guy has pointed out that commercial ventures have to be commercially viable while doing the best job to satisfy the customers. And digital has brought many improvements to film exhibition.

3.) Some have wondered why we don't have the movie they are looking for. You can blame the LAW for that. AMC Y&D is considered a competition zone theater. We are NOT allowed to show the same content as another theater if it is inside of a certain distance. (only a studio stepping in can override this). If you want us to get everything then you need to pressure your local MP.

I'm very curious how the studios/distributors determine which theatre gets which movies? I can see AMC Y&D being very busy, so I would think the studios would want them to have all the first-run movies.

News update. Steven has retracted his comments pertaining to Indy 4 not being on digital. So, like I was saying. The studios will do what they feel like,
and they will do it when they feel like. I would throw in a bunch of words that are flamboyant in nature to increase my status but I fail to see the point of it. I am also not here to bash everyone I meet.

Building wise, I certainly hope the other tenants are in soon. It's time to rebuild and redefine Canada's busiest corner.

I'm very curious how the studios/distributors determine which theater gets which movies? I can see AMC Y&D being very busy, so I would think the studios would want them to have all the first-run movies.

It is a bidding war. All exhibitors in the area will literally bid for content. From everything I have gathered at this point we will have a 60% share of content released.

Retraction of earlier statement, digital sound at the theater is 6 channel not 8. It is also confirmed that it is PCM.

Back