News   Apr 16, 2024
 378     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 391     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 750     0 

AMC Yonge & Dundas opens at Toronto Life Square

WOW, thanks for the pics!!

I'm really glad that the previews were successful. I meant to go myself today but things came up. Do you live near there?

If the chance ever comes up i'd love seeing pics of the lobby and exterior hallways...concession area etc.

Thanks again dt

For reference, below are the cinema floorplans for levels 4 and 6 - lower and upper cinema areas. I took the liberty of numbering the cinemas, I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

Level4.jpg

Level6.jpg

WOW, thanks for the pics!!

I'm really glad that the previews were successful. I meant to go myself today but things came up. Do you live near there?

If the chance ever comes up i'd love seeing pics of the lobby and exterior hallways...concession area etc.

Thanks again dt

I live about a 20 minute walk north of there, so it's close.
I'm going back on Monday or Tuesday so I'll ask someone if I can take pictures of the lobby.
The free films run today through Tuesday, there's something playing for all tastes. Go!

I note that both the Scotiabank Theatre and the Varsity have started to offer "early early" shows starting at 10 am. I would have to assume that this would be in response to the new downtown competition.

Went to catch the free movie there today...great sound and video quality in the cinemas! I wasn't happy with the very 80s looking red and yellow carpet though :eek:

I went inside of TLS to see Micheal Clayton on Saturday and Sunday.

It's interior is a different feeling than the other malls across the street, but variety is the spice of life, or so they say.

I love the movie Mural in the AMC lobby. Fantastic!!!!!! -

I could look at that for hours.

I also saw Michael Clayton on Sunday. Nice film and beautiful picture quality. This cinema will be a huge asset to the neighbourhood.

I saw 3:10 to Yuma yesterday at TLS.

Silly movie with some good acting... but that's beside the point.

I, like some others here, liked the interior hallways of the cinema portion too. It is more sedate than the Parabank theatre's theme park look, while not quite as grown up and classy as the Varsity (which is starting to look like it needs another renovation). I also agree that the projection is great.

Incidentally: some here will be happy enough to hear that TIFF will be moving some of their screenings here this year, and will no longer be using the Cumberland, and possibly not the ROM cinema. Apparently Varsity will be going all-critic and industry all the time too during TIFF.

Here's my contribution to the cinemas though: I don't usually order food at the concession stands at cinemas as the price is just beyond acceptable. On Sunday however the free ticket had made me feeling relatively carefree about it, and so ordered a combo #2 for my companion and I, which is a large popcorn and 2 large drinks. $14.50. Ugh - the Scottish side of me just whinges at that. Anyway, with tax they asked for $17.53. Well, with that the Scottish side of me immediately came to the fore, did the math, and asked questions, and got a manager involved.

It seems that while the displays quote $14.50 for the combo, the cash registers had been programmed at $15.50 for it. In the end I got all of my money refunded, the popcorn tasted better than ever, the machines were reprogrammed, and anyone who bought Combo #2 on Saturday or earlier on Sunday were ripped off by a $1.13.

It seems that while the displays quote $14.50 for the combo, the cash registers had been programmed at $15.50 for it. In the end I got all of my money refunded, the popcorn tasted better than ever, the machines were reprogrammed, and anyone who bought Combo #2 on Saturday or earlier on Sunday were ripped off by a $1.13.

Good job! And good job AMC. According to the scanning code of practice, anything under $10 that comes up as a higher price than marked has to be given free to the customer. AMC doesnt even participate in the code of practice, nor was it under $10 yet they still refunded all your money.

AMC is by far my favourite theatre chain. There was one day my movie was interrupted by a fire alarm and on the way out they had rep's handing out free movie passes to everyone and also told everyone to bring their used pass in the next time for 2 more free passes. I managed to get 3 free movies for something that was out of their control.

I really think they should have gone all out on this AMC. A new Silver City that opened in Oakville has gone all out and includes a bowling alley, daycare area for parents who want to leave their kids out, billiards, a licensed lounge and VIP cinemas for the 19+ crowd (includes reserved leather seats, concierge, special foods and service to your seat.) I went on grand opening night and it was really amazing.

That would have definitely been amazing for Metropolis.

Just got back from my first visit to the YD AMC... the lineup around 7 to grab tickets went out the door and all the way to Victoria Street, but moved quickly, it took about 10 minutes to get through it. It was really busy.. but everyone was in great spirits and the feeling I got was that everyone was just excited about it and passers-by seemed really happy about how busy it was...

The theatre is good, though I can see there will be some gripes about circulation during busy times... Then again, I don't think 24 screens will all be letting in and out at the same time as they are right now, so that'll probably ease it.

The best part was after the movie. People were flooding out onto the street and onto the square... I doubt there's been a Monday night with that many people out and about on the square. It was really great to see and I found myself pondering the potential... and it's huge.

And another thing I was glad to see - they were installing/fixing the AMC sign and they use LEDs to light the signage... so when it's all lit up, it's using a lot less energy than if they didn't use LEDs.

I was there too today. The cinemas are very nice and the theatre lobby and surrounds are well done. It is clear though that there is not enough room for the ticket booth downstairs and that circulation in the building is an issue.

It also gives one the opportunity to see the rest of the building...and its sooo sad. The food courts looks like they used the cheapest of materials (chairs, tables, floors) and the no matter what floor you are on, you constantly feel like you are in a basement of some storage facility. It is truely awful and a complete embarrassment that something so obviously 'cheapened down' and 'underdesigned' occupies such a prominate spot in the downtown core.

Did I mention that the theatres are nice though. ;)

The best part was after the movie. People were flooding out onto the street and onto the square... I doubt there's been a Monday night with that many people out and about on the square. It was really great to see and I found myself pondering the potential... and it's huge.

Movie theatres always draw large crowds of people-traffic into a neighborhood at night where it is often absent. When I was a kid/teen growing up in the 70's & 80's there were seven theatres/theatre complexes on Yonge between Gerrard and Queen. For the last 10 years there have been none, the AMC will finally bring this area back to life at night. This will have positive fallout to nearby stores, bars, restaurants and... Dundas Square!

Wait until the summer blockbusters begin to open with people sleeping along Dundas Street to be the first in line to secure "Indiana Jones" tickets...

i was there today as well and caught i am legend. as mentioned before the theatres are pretty nice inside but nothing too fancy. the lobby area upstairs has a nice color scheme to it. the digital projection was also very good. i saw the difference right away compared to a normal film projection experience.

although i do have to voice my disgust at what they did with the food court. could that space be any more depressing? the choice of color on the floor, furniture, and ceiling is just horrible. i really do hope it lightens up when people start using the space.

I was at I am Legend as well -- it kinda disturbed me the number of people who brought their children and babies into the theatre - did you notice that smuncky? Oh, and the girl who decided to run to the front of the theatre as it was beginning, stand to the side, and talk on her cell phone. Come on.

The food court still has a long way to go. I think once the tenants move in, signage is installed, it'll look a lot different. And I think there will be a major concentration of video screens in the area, and that'll probably "enliven" it a bit more. I'm still giving the food court the benefit of the doubt.

I was at I am Legend as well -- it kinda disturbed me the number of people who brought their children and babies into the theatre - did you notice that smuncky? Oh, and the girl who decided to run to the front of the theatre as it was beginning, stand to the side, and talk on her cell phone. Come on.

Do those people ever heard Silence Is Golden?

Back