News   Mar 28, 2024
 222     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 309     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 678     0 

Amazon Second HQ

As Ontario always was open for business, Amazon's decision probably would have happened regardless of which party was in government.

A sensible sized expansion for the Toronto office in the end. More job opportunities for engineers in the City and maybe a backdoor for Amazon for international hiring. Now local talent can stop concerning themselves with Amazon and focus on how to disrupt them and take away their business ;)

Bezos himself said he believes Amazon will one day not exist and he operates under this premise. Hard to believe at this point but he must have also read "Why Most things Fail"' by Paul Ormerod available on Amazon of course

If they backtrack from New York, then the timeline for HQ2 is delayed.

But a delay there actually pushes HQ2 into the timeframe that works for East Harbour.

I think New Yorkers are hardly desperate for an Amazon HQ, with the whole raft of labour and cost-of-living implications it brings.

The recent history of that city has always been an ongoing fight between established locals and the newly-landed gentry.

New Yorkers are not too keen on having Amazon moving in so......
Amazon exploring potential alternatives to New York HQ: source

See: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...-new-york-headquarters-over-local-opposition/
If they backtrack from New York, then the timeline for HQ2 is delayed.

But a delay there actually pushes HQ2 into the timeframe that works for East Harbour.
I think New Yorkers are hardly desperate for an Amazon HQ, with the whole raft of labour and cost-of-living implications it brings.

The recent history of that city has always been an ongoing fight between established locals and the newly-landed gentry.

I think we need to be clear on a few things here.

The first is that that while there is some objection to the scale of this and worry over gentrification implications...............

The largest political objection is the issue of large per-job subsidies.

In so far as that is or was a driving force in Amazon's decision making, we in Ontario chose not to offer that, and I was and remain pleased by that.

That would seem to make us an unlikely Plan B.

Beyond that, one surely does not make a public announcement of this type without quietly having bought land or entered leases.

It would be borderline insane not to do so, as obviously the price would spike the day after any announcement.

Given their (Amazon's) commitments, I don't think we should assume a wholesale rethink is real at this point.

Moreover, if it is real, I don't think we should presume to be next in line.

We might be, anything is possible. Though the implications of that are not inconsiderable...............

But its simply premature to draw any such conclusions.

Oh I don't think that Amazon's backup plan involves Toronto, but I just think that New York (New Yorkers really) is hardly desperate for Amazon.

That being said, if push comes to shove, Cuomo will definitely pull out all stops in ensuring that Amazon stays in New York.

Yeah, I expect the city and state to pry more economic/social responsibility commitments from Amazon to atleast make it appear more fair.

Oh I don't think that Amazon's backup plan involves Toronto, but I just think that New York (New Yorkers really) is hardly desperate for Amazon.

That being said, if push comes to shove, Cuomo will definitely pull out all stops in ensuring that Amazon stays in New York.

New York is begging for Amazon. Basically every US city. And now, no one wants Toronto to get it. Because of this, will they try and open it ? Likely not, though it could change...

My guess is that they’ll just consolidate HQ2 in the second of the two part headquarters. Virginia is very welcoming and has the space to handle the whole thing themselves. I think that Amazon just wanted a New York address for the prestige. Virginia can handle a headquarters all by itself but doesn’t quite have the cachet.

That said, while Toronto might not be getting a headquarters, not having New York HQ2 so close by does leave open the possibility of a bigger presence in our city.

I guess New York option was in jeopardy after all.

I'm somewhat surprised in that I assumed they either leases or ownership in place, presumably with a build-out plan.

If that IS the case....they that's a lot to walk away from...........

If that IS NOT the case......I wonder how serious they were in the first place?

Back