News   Mar 28, 2024
 467     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 387     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 740     0 

Amazon Second HQ

Perhaps the border was an insurmountable problem with Toronto’s bid, but when we lose out to Nashville for the consolation prize, we should ask ourselves what went wrong.

Perhaps the border was an insurmountable problem with Toronto’s bid, but when we lose out to Nashville for the consolation prize, we should ask ourselves what went wrong.
Fair to ask, but nothing necessarily went wrong though.

Amazon hasn't announced that they are not expanding their presence in Toronto. Meanwhile, through this bid we have had an excellent opportunity to showcase the city to continental and international business.

Fair to ask, but nothing necessarily went wrong though.

Amazon hasn't announced that they are not expanding their presence in Toronto. Meanwhile, through this bid we have had an excellent opportunity to showcase the city to continental and international business.

True. However it would be nice to know what we can do better to make Toronto attractive to footloose, high-value businesses. If the primary reasons we lost were either the border or our sensible refusal to shower AMZN with tax breaks and subsidies, then fair enough. But if there were other factors it would be good to try to learn what they were, to see if we can improve our future competitiveness.

I think Amazon will eventually expand it's Toronto presence. As a retailer there is really only one market location you would want to be in Canada. The Vancouver headquarters location and expansion makes sense because of the cheap back-office proximity to Seattle but in terms of Canada in general it's pretty remote if that even matters anymore.

I think Amazon will eventually expand it's Toronto presence. As a retailer there is really only one market location you would want to be in Canada. The Vancouver headquarters location and expansion makes sense because of the cheap back-office proximity to Seattle but in terms of Canada in general it's pretty remote if that even matters anymore.

As some posters here will be aware, I have had access to information suggesting a Toronto presence. I absolutely cannot guarantee that, as it isn't first hand; but the source was good. At the time they suggested this might not be HQ, but they were wondering. FWIW, my source says that deal is still to come. That may or may not prove to be true.

This is bloody infuriating! Really, its genuinely awful. From a pure capitalist perspective, its market-distorting government 'picking the winners'; from a more progressive slant
its corporate welfare at the expense of looking after those who really need it.

Somehow, governments around the world need to come to an agreement not to do these sorts of things (to be clear, in different ways, Ontario does the same (film tax credit).

I support investment in Culture, but not luring foreign productions to shoot here in exchange for a near tax-free ride.

As some posters here will be aware, I have had access to information suggesting a Toronto presence. I absolutely cannot guarantee that, as it isn't first hand; but the source was good. At the time they suggested this might not be HQ, but they were wondering. FWIW, my source says that deal is still to come. That may or may not prove to be true.

There are reports dropping hints of TO being in play for something - Amazon Studios, perhaps?

AoD

Back