News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 582     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 884     0 

Amazon Second HQ

https://www.cp24.com/toronto-may-have-lost-out-to-washington-area-for-amazon-s-hq2-report-1.4162199

I think it was pretty much a forgone conclusion from mid 2017- Bezos already owns a home in the DC area and needs to be near his Washington Post media apparatus. It's also conveniently close to the Amazon datacentres in northern Virginia, and makes the need for a DC lobbyist office redundant.

Ultimately I don't feel at ease with this move- it shows that Amazon is firmly entrenching itself into the governmental apparatus of the United States.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/08/has-bezos-become-more-powerful-in-dc-than-trump

Hey, Amazon is one of the checks and balances! Which is kinda comforting given the fact that Congress and the Supreme Court seem to have abdicated that role.

Good! Not that I'm surprised an anti union company like Amazon would set up shop in a Right to Work state like Virginia.

FWIW (not much I'm sure) some guy from the Canada-Texas Chamber of Commerce seems absolutely certain HQ2 is being split between Dallas and Toronto.

Plot twist. Amazon is splitting HQ2 between 2 locations, 25,000 jobs each. Via the WSJ.

Likely DC and New York. They’re close enough that they can function almost as one while getting Amazon into both the political lobby’s orbit day to day in DC and the world’s largest and most diverse talent pool in New York.

I agree with Jason that Toronto is on Amazon’s radar and like all the shortlisted cities, will probably get looked at for growth, possibly as an international headquarters.

I mentioned in this or another thread that all business exists within a boundary space created by government regulation and oversight. So as a company grows at some point their primary business becomes government and regulatory lobbying. That makes the D.C. region a shoe-in for at least one "HQ'.

You can see the big US tech companies are really starting to reach the peak size where their brand is becoming impaired by their need to convince the public and government that they aren't robber baron monopolies. Like remember when Walmart and McDonalds were evil? I would say Google as an example is now probably approaching more evil than Walmart and McDonalds in the public eye but still less evil than Exxon or Goldman Sachs. In the next few years big tech might even flip to most evil status although they are fighting back. Amazon is a "peoples" company who supports their workers and pays excellent wages or so their recent PR marketing campaigns tell us right ;) ? Someone clearly studied Walmart's brand status arc

I mentioned in this or another thread that all business exists within a boundary space created by government regulation and oversight. So as a company grows at some point their primary business becomes government and regulatory lobbying. That makes the D.C. region a shoe-in for at least one "HQ'.

You can see the big US tech companies are really starting to reach the peak size where their brand is becoming impaired by their need to convince the public and government that they aren't robber baron monopolies. Like remember when Walmart and McDonalds were evil? I would say Google as an example is now probably approaching more evil than Walmart and McDonalds in the public eye but still less evil than Exxon or Goldman Sachs. In the next few years big tech might even flip to most evil status although they are fighting back. Amazon is a "peoples" company who supports their workers and pays excellent wages or so their recent PR marketing campaigns tell us right ;) ? Someone clearly studied Walmart's brand status arc

It depends on the company.

Amazon provides people with things they want, so they're generally going to get the benefit of the doubt much more than companies like Exxon or Goldman Sachs.

Nashville is unexpected third-place winner in Amazon HQ2

But the official announcement also contained a surprise: Amazon will open an “Operations Center of Excellence” in downtown Nashville, Tenn., and create 5,000 jobs there.

I kinda hope that Amazon does this with Toronto too. I know they've made large investments in Vancouver, but that makes me jealous.

Back