News   May 10, 2024
 461     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 370     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 452     0 

Algonquin Provincial Park

I'm not sure I get the connection between logging and running a railway, and ignoring the fact that the 'main use corridor' (Hwy 60) is protected from logging, but I'd love to see the economics of laying and operating a stub line of approx. 45 miles solely for seasonal tourist use.

There is cross-country skiing in Algonquin.

I'm not sure I get the connection between logging and running a railway, and ignoring the fact that the 'main use corridor' (Hwy 60) is protected from logging, but I'd love to see the economics of laying and operating a stub line of approx. 45 miles solely for seasonal tourist use.

If during the peak season it ran and was able to cover the yearly costs, I would think it would be a good thing.

As far as logging, how else do you move the trees in the way for a new ROW?

If during the peak season it ran and was able to cover the yearly costs, I would think it would be a good thing.

As far as logging, how else do you move the trees in the way for a new ROW?

A couple of 'ifs' in the first sentence. Yon also have to justify the initial costs. No doubt someone on here has a ballpark cost for line development in $millions/kilometer.

I thought the discussion was about re-laying on the old ROW. How do you remove the trees? The same way you do when you clear any ROW - the contractor sells what is marketable and chips the rest. What and how much marketable timber is on either the current or new ROW would be for a timber scaler to determine. If a new ROW, there is likely lots of very expensive private land enroute, especially if it envisioned the line would originate near Huntsville. The former ROW connected at Scotia, several miles north. I also have to believe whichever path was chosen, environmental reviews would tie it up for decades.

A couple of 'ifs' in the first sentence. Yon also have to justify the initial costs. No doubt someone on here has a ballpark cost for line development in $millions/kilometer.

I thought the discussion was about re-laying on the old ROW. How do you remove the trees? The same way you do when you clear any ROW - the contractor sells what is marketable and chips the rest. What and how much marketable timber is on either the current or new ROW would be for a timber scaler to determine. If a new ROW, there is likely lots of very expensive private land enroute, especially if it envisioned the line would originate near Huntsville. The former ROW connected at Scotia, several miles north. I also have to believe whichever path was chosen, environmental reviews would tie it up for decades.

There are a lot of ifs. So, the best option right now would be buses. It would build demand and show where people are traveling to/from. While this is happening, the EA can start, and in a few decadsd, when it finally opens, the demand will exist.

An environmental assessment needs a detailed project proposal, with alternatives provided for many factors, such as route, so several million of proponent (read: public) dollars already spend. So we want this before a need is identified?

I'm going to let this go since it is becoming a tad circular. If there is, in fact, a potential market for folks to go day tripping, camping, canoeing, kayaking, etc. via bus, from wherever to wherever, I welcome a private carrier to have at it. If the desire is for this to be publicly financed, either/or initially or operating, I suggest the not-unlimited public dollars are better spent elsewhere. I'm all for public dollars spent for a public good and need not be operated in the black; but I suggest recreation is pretty low on the list of priorities. We have seen several examples of short lines, with rails and customers in place, struggle to make a go of it without subsidization of some kind. Cheers.

An environmental assessment needs a detailed project proposal, with alternatives provided for many factors, such as route, so several million of proponent (read: public) dollars already spend. So we want this before a need is identified?

I'm going to let this go since it is becoming a tad circular. If there is, in fact, a potential market for folks to go day tripping, camping, canoeing, kayaking, etc. via bus, from wherever to wherever, I welcome a private carrier to have at it. If the desire is for this to be publicly financed, either/or initially or operating, I suggest the not-unlimited public dollars are better spent elsewhere. I'm all for public dollars spent for a public good and need not be operated in the black; but I suggest recreation is pretty low on the list of priorities. We have seen several examples of short lines, with rails and customers in place, struggle to make a go of it without subsidization of some kind. Cheers.

I think the general consensus is some sort of bus service implemented may reduce the overall congestion. Realistically speaking, although rail would be nice, the hurdles to do it are quite high. After about 5 years of running buses, there should be a good indication of where the demand is. This would help the province start planning a line. Spending a reasonable amount on planning and the EA would make sense if the buses are showing high enough demand.

Greyhound has shown that private carriers are not the answer. If we are going to subsidize something, it should be public owned. If a company, like Parkbus could make it work without a subsidy, then by all means, go for it.

Once the Covid is in the past, it may be a good idea to run a minibus shuttle pilot along the portion of Hwy 60 located in the park. A one-way trip would take about 25 min, plus some terminal time, hence three minibuses would provide for a 20-min frequency. People will still arrive in their cars carrying stuff and supplies, but will not need to drive for every errand inside the park.

And, a few trips per day can be extended to Huntsville and connect to the Northalnd bus. Won't work for everybody, but will be useful for some who travel with light backpacks, and for some who stay in the hotels along Hwy 60 and don't need to carry much for every day's trip into the park.

Once the Covid is in the past, it may be a good idea to run a minibus shuttle pilot along the portion of Hwy 60 located in the park. A one-way trip would take about 25 min, plus some terminal time, hence three minibuses would provide for a 20-min frequency. People will still arrive in their cars carrying stuff and supplies, but will not need to drive for every errand inside the park.

And, a few trips per day can be extended to Huntsville and connect to the Northalnd bus. Won't work for everybody, but will be useful for some who travel with light backpacks, and for some who stay in the hotels along Hwy 60 and don't need to carry much for every day's trip into the park.

That would be a great start.

Back