News   Jun 26, 2024
 80     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 293     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 378     0 

Alexander The Great Parkette Revitalization (Greektown BIA, FFLA)

So many of our residential side streets are unnecessarily wide at the expense of sidewalk width and public space amenities. Strangely, though, in some wealthy areas like Chestnut Park, the city has kept the roadways narrow.

There's no reason why Logan needs a roadway wide enough to fit 4 cars side by side at that location. The wider the street, the more comfortable drivers feel driving at higher speeds, which makes the street less safe for everyone.

So many of our residential side streets are unnecessarily wide at the expense of sidewalk width and public space amenities. Strangely, though, in some wealthy areas like Chestnut Park, the city has kept the roadways narrow. There's no reason why that street needs a roadway wide enough to fit 4 cars side by side. The wider the street, the more comfortable drivers feel driving at higher speeds, which makes the street less safe for everyone.

I'll happily agree..........but I have to wonder if the BIA ever considered making the ask to narrow the road here in favour of enlarging the square. I have my suspicions on the answer to that, but I don't know.

Absolutely true that the City could and should have initiated that on its own, so I digress.

One lane was just fine today.

alexthegreat-parkette-05.jpg

alexthegreat-parkette-06.jpg

In the opposite direction is this CafeTO patio strip that I love.

alexthegreat-parkette-07.jpg

I can’t believe they’re keeping that statue. It’s embarrassing.

Have to disagree on that sidewalk, single file walking stinks.

Have to disagree on that sidewalk, single file walking stinks.

The sidewalk there is excessively narrow, but I would note that the CAFE TO set-up is not on the sidewalk, the encroachments are coming from the building-side.

Not for all of Greektown, but in this particular block, I think the case could be made to:

a) Remove the on-street parking year round

b) Widen the sidewalks in such a way to create permanent patios on the street side, and a buffered cycle track with plantings between the car (travel) lane and the patios; but then prohibit any encroachment from the building side.

Signage clearly targeted at drivers should shift to the new permanent outer curb (on the far side of the cycle track) so as not to clutter the sidewalk and to be visible to those who need to see it.

I just don’t think they’re enforcing existing bylaws on that stretch of the Danforth. The patios on the resto side look like they’re further out than they should be. The cafeTO side is also encroaching in the photo you took, theres a table and planters on the sidewalk.

Generally speaking on CafeTO- I don’t understand the appeal of eating in traffic. Maybe a couple drinks but dining 3 feet from an idling diesel engine puts me off.

The cafeTO tables aren’t really busy.. You’ve got servers crossing the sidewalk serving and bussing tables. Restos are encroaching on both sides.

It just doesn’t really make sense from a pedestrian not to mention accessibility standpoint.

I just don’t think they’re enforcing existing bylaws on that stretch of the Danforth. The patios on the resto side look like they’re further out than they should be. The cafeTO side is also encroaching in the photo you took, theres a table and planters on the sidewalk.

Generally speaking on CafeTO- I don’t understand the appeal of eating in traffic. Maybe a couple drinks but dining 3 feet from an idling diesel engine puts me off.

The cafeTO tables aren’t really busy.. You’ve got servers crossing the sidewalk serving and bussing tables. Restos are encroaching on both sides.

It just doesn’t really make sense from a pedestrian not to mention accessibility standpoint.
Also I bet the A-frame sign has no permit and anyway it is blocking pedestrian clearway".

The cafeTO side is also encroaching in the photo you took, theres a table and planters on the sidewalk.

I don't see anything further in to the sidewalk that in the interlocking pavers, that section is where is where traffic signage traditionally is, as well as trees and is not considered part of the pedestrian clearway space.

The A-Frame sign is very much intruding, no question, as to a lesser degree are a couple of the resto-side planters.

The cycle track actually buffers the patios from the road, so they are not directly beside the traffic.

Its worth saying later in the evening traffic on Danforth can be relatively light. But yes, mid-day and rush hours it can be heavy at times.

I doubt very many of said vehicles are diesel mind you, and an increasing number are hybrid and electric cars with low emissions and less noise.

That is not my experience. I'm there regularly, and at meal times, the popular restaurants are doing very good trade on those tables, so are a few places late into the night on weekends.

Below is Athens (restaurant):

1719175989550.png

I've seen every single CAFE Table filled at 10pm on a Friday night.

Yes, there are dead sections, generally next to restos that aren't that busy and don't put in the effort.

Why those places pay for it I don't know.

Last edited:

I like to sit outside, most of these restaurants this is the only outdoor space.

Your argument is less one against patios, and more against cars for most people.

That is not my experience. I'm there regularly, and at meal times, the popular restaurants are doing very good trade on those tables, so are a few places late into the night on weekends.

Below is Athens (restaurant):

View attachment 574938

I've seen every single CAFE Table filled at 10pm on a Friday night.

Yes, there are dead sections, generally next to restos that aren't that busy and don't put in the effort.

Why those places pay for it I don't know.

This is my observation, too. It would also appear that The Danforth has a higher percentage of return-CaféTO permits than other commercial strips.

Back