News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 610     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

airbnb.com vs. condo rules

Unfortunately I can't point you to specific legal cases. I just remember several years ago reading about it. There used to be condos that had "No renters" rules and someone challenged it saying it's my home, I should be able to do what I want and the courts sided with them effectively striking down any such rules.
If it were legal I would buy a unit in one!

Well not sure how the board found out, but I have rented some of my clients condos short term during transition periods for as little as 2 weeks without problems. Another option is renting out your mailing address, some of our agents do this ontop of renting the unit out to a family. Renting basicly your mailbox where packages will be sent and mailed and picked up 2 times a week. This wont pay as much as rent but depends how many people renting, each will pay $400 to $600 per month and if they register your adress as company office they pay you 5K.

Just curious how did Airbnb work out for you? Does it make more money than renting? Some of my clients may be interested in this.

Forget the rest come get with the best!

Also you can try to rent to new immigrants/refugees short term with the government paying, if they say anything call them out for discrimination and that will quiet their mouths lol

Just another idea

Also you can try to rent to new immigrants/refugees short term with the government paying, if they say anything call them out for discrimination and that will quiet their mouths lol

Just another idea

Excellent idea. After they leave you'll have a nice vegetable garden to enjoy.

Unfortunately I can't point you to specific legal cases. I just remember several years ago reading about it. There used to be condos that had "No renters" rules and someone challenged it saying it's my home, I should be able to do what I want and the courts sided with them effectively striking down any such rules.
If it were legal I would buy a unit in one!
I'm trying to find something definitive, but not having much luck. On this site http://condoinformation.ca/tenants-landlords it mentions that some condos do have requirements re leasing periods. Elsewhere in the site, (http://www.condoinformation.ca/book/export/html/92) it indicates that passing such a rule is a good idea.

I'd certainly like to know if this rule has been challenged for its reasonableness and what the outcome was.

There are also rules relating to occupancy standards which can control how many people can occupy a unit at one time (not the question here, but just as a related FYI)

Edit: There's probably also rules related to indoor gardening. :rolleyes:

Yes I have heard of 2 cases where condo owners got exceptions however had to pay some fee?? not to sure what it was but they got everything in writing and was done through a lawyer.

As for some of the advice here, its a joke. Never heard of renting your mailing address? what "packages" will they be sending?

Your best bet is to first speak with the management/board and see what they say, if its possible to make some kind of exception, if not then you can go to a lawyer however that route may alienate your relationship with the board.

"Edit: There's probably also rules related to indoor gardening."

Lol be sure to pass this info to cityplaceguy!

That's why I wondered if it has been challenged for reasonableness in the courts.

Another option is renting out your mailing address, some of our agents do this ontop of renting the unit out to a family. Renting basicly your mailbox where packages will be sent and mailed and picked up 2 times a week. This wont pay as much as rent but depends how many people renting, each will pay $400 to $600 per month and if they register your adress as company office they pay you 5K.

Oh that's not dodgy at all. It reminds how people use PO boxes to do fraud.

Check this out:
http://www.torontorealtyblog.com/archives/rent-my-condo-by-the-hour/9762

My condo changed our declarations to prohibit rentals shorter than 6 months after learning about AirBnB issues from other condos (wear & tear, noise and disturbance complaints, and increased thefts and break-ins). But even after the rule was put in place we still have units defying this rule, and it is difficult to police or prove.

I don't think that's going to work in ours. It's explicitly allowed in the declaration and Del property management with their 15(?) or so rental units in here aren't going to go for 6 months.

I just want to make the minimum one. Did you guys manage to change the declaration or was it just a by-law change?

Check this out:

My condo changed our declarations to prohibit rentals shorter than 6 months after learning about AirBnB issues from other condos (wear & tear, noise and disturbance complaints, and increased thefts and break-ins). But even after the rule was put in place we still have units defying this rule, and it is difficult to police or prove.

Check this out:

If you changed the Declaration (which is possible but difficult) this is much more easily enforced - if necessary by the Courts; if you only changed the Rules (which is easier) it is certainly possible to enforce. In fact your Board has a legal obligation to enforce the Rules.

I think there is a difference if someone is renting out their Unit when they are not present and someone renting out their spare bedroom while they are there. The former is clearly a short-term rental, one could, probably, argue that the latter is like having (new) friends stay overnight and being given a gift of $$ by them. In our condo we have a Rule saying that guests & visitors can only use our rec facilities "if accompanied by a resident' so one way to discourage rentals would be to actively enforce that Rule.

Back