News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Afternoon shooting in Toronto's Little Italy leaves one person dead

cdr108

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/afternoon-shooting-torontos-little-italy-leaves-one-person-202428495.html

By The Canadian Press

TORONTO - A shooting at a cafe in broad daylight in Toronto's Little Italy neighbourhood has left one person dead.

Another person has been rushed to hospital.

Toronto police say shots were fired just after 3:30 p.m. today at the Sicilian Cafe near College St. and Ossington Ave.

Police are investigating.

The shooting occurred as soccer fans had gathered to see Italy play Ireland in an opening round match that could determine whether Italy advances in the Eurocup.

From what I've read it's a classic case of...

image.jpg

I wonder: where are all of those people who wanted to draw causal inferences based on the alleged shooter's racial background after the Eaton Centre shooting? Their silence is curious; it's almost as if they feel lost without an agenda to push.

No kidding, Vox. Where's the calls to bring back the noose, for police profiling, for deportations, for vengance? The Globe and Mail closed the comments on this one, but left the Eaton Centre articles open for a while to some really hateful comments.

And where's Georgie 'Thumbs' Mammoliti? Here's another chance to say something stupid.

Last edited:
Indeed, this murder seems to have drawn much less attention than the Eaton Centre shooting despite being a similarly brazen daytime gang-related shooting in a public place where plenty of innocent bystanders were present.

The victim of a deadly afternoon shooting on a patio in Toronto’s Little Italy during a Euro 2012 soccer match was a former member of an outlaw motorcycle gang, leading police to probe whether the motive was a mob-linked attack or a national sporting rivalry, sources say.
The gunman apparently disguised as a construction worker, including hat, safety vest and white filter mask, possibly as a way to get close to the victim with his face obscured but without drawing attention or sending a warning.

Sources say the 35-year-old Portuguese victim had been a member of the Loners Motorcycle Club, but had retired from the club at some point. The club is an outlaw biker gang founded in 1979 that has since been eclipsed by more powerful and larger gangs. The victim had a long association with bikers and maintained a “flashy lifestyle,†police said.
Witnesses said they heard multiple gunshots, but police wouldn’t confirm how many shell casings were found.

“This could have been potentially much worse,†said Constable Wendy Drummond, a spokeswoman for the Toronto Police Service. “The area was filled with people watching the game. The café itself was filled with people. It was a very frightful scene for those here.â€
Police dogs were scouring the area and police are reviewing security camera footage. The suspect, described as a 6-foot white male with blond hair and a medium build, is believed to have fled north.

I live in the area and while it doesn't make me feel any less safe what really bothers me about this is the indecency of it. Nothing we can do is going to 100% prevent dudes from target killing other dudes but if they are going to chose the blasting away method it would be more decent to do so in private.

Gosh, how times change, I haven't been to that ice cream place in decades. In my student days in the mid-1970s, when I lived just along the street at the 816A College Street art school commune, we'd go there all the time - it was a much smaller place, run by two brothers, in a very non-trendy working class immigrant neighbourhood. The biggest threats to our wellbeing were the laughing gas parties we held.

I live in the area and while it doesn't make me feel any less safe what really bothers me about this is the indecency of it. Nothing we can do is going to 100% prevent dudes from target killing other dudes but if they are going to chose the blasting away method it would be more decent to do so in private.

Same. I live within a block of there, and my opinion hasn't changed a bit. It's exceedingly rude that people are subjecting dozens of innocents to this kind of violence, but it doesn't make me feel any less safe in my hood, or at Yonge-Dundas. Until one location becomes the spot to execute someone in public, I'm going to carry-about as I always have. :)

I wonder: where are all of those people who wanted to draw causal inferences based on the alleged shooter's racial background after the Eaton Centre shooting? Their silence is curious; it's almost as if they feel lost without an agenda to push.

Oh, you know it. I haven't heard the words "animal", "thug", "scum" dandied about like I usually do.

Globe and Mail: Second victim in Little Italy shooting an innocent bystander, police say

Toronto police say the second victim in Monday’s Little Italy ice cream shop shooting was an innocent bystander.

The man, whose name is not being released, was shot in the stomach by a stray bullet during the targeted killing of John Raposo, 35, at the Sicilian Sidewalk Café in the 700 block of College St. West.

“He just happened to be sitting there,†said Constable Victor Kwong, a spokesperson for the Toronto Police Service. “He was not the intended target.â€

Const. Kwong said the man’s injuries were not life threatening, but his current condition is unknown.

Back