News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 564     1 

Achievements of 2007

I believe they also realized that bathing the exhibits in sunlight (UV, etc) wasn't good for preservation efforts. I do like the crystal, if just for it's uniqueness. I don't like how the museum now has to pay rent to the city because the tip of the crystal sticks out too far and extends over city land. Sounds like very poor planning.

Edit: Found an old article about the rent issue. (http://www.nationalpost.com/news/toronto/story.html?id=1cc22cd7-8d82-45c4-b042-137824ad5a6d) Couldn't find anything on the sunlight though.

It's called Crystal, because the original design was to include all glass.

Somewhere along the way, nearby residents ( both condo and corp. ) became concern with the effect the angled glass would have, when the sun refracted from it.

Could make for a driving hazard as well.

So it's currently called the crystal because it was at one time planned to be primarily glass? And nothing to do with the fact that the shape of the building is best described as being a crystal?

I'll stick with my explanation that it lost half of the reason for its name, not all of it.

It is all about the crystal shape that gives it the name. Glass only adds to the crystal look, and really glass is supposed to be the cheaper substitute to crystal on chandeliers or drinking glasses, so cladding a "crystal" in glass would have been slightly odd. I doubt anyone would even notice that while in a state of amazement over the shiny new addition, but nonetheless, it would have been a quirk.

Back