News   May 06, 2024
 158     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 649     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.3K     1 

877 Yonge St (St Clare's, affordable housing)

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Residents to be evicted from downtown Toronto seniors’ home

VJOSA ISAI
PUBLISHED 3 DAYS AGO

Residents at a downtown seniors’ home have been told they will need to find somewhere else to live, two months after the building was sold to a numbered company connected to a Toronto real estate development lawyer.

Davenhill Senior Living, a not-for-profit home located at 877 Yonge St. in Toronto’s Rosedale neighbourhood, will be shuttered by the end of this year.

In a July 3 letter to residents, Dan Tomlinson, chair of Davenhill’s board of directors, said the decision was made “only after it became clear that closure of the facility is inevitable and that the only question was how much control we would have over the timing.”

Davenhill is home to about 150 people, some with varying levels of mobility and requiring wheelchairs. The nonprofit has hired relocation consultants to help seniors find new accommodation, tour prospective residences, pack and move at no cost to them.

In a statement to The Globe, Davenhill spokeswoman Genevieve Brown said the facility regrets the challenges of the impending move on its residents, but made the choice to close down on its own terms, rather than to “wait until an event outside our control forced us to close with immediate effect and no lead time for our community to find a new home.”

The building changed hands in May of this year, although the new owner’s identity is opaque.

Land registry information for 877 Yonge St. currently has the numbered company 2692518 Ontario Inc. as its owner. The company, which was set up 10 days before the land transfer, lists a Toronto real estate development lawyer Andrew Jeanrie as its director and president. (Mr. Jeanrie did not respond to e-mailed questions or phone calls from The Globe.)

The City of Toronto has not yet received any planning or development applications for the site.

The current building:

Last edited:
thats a huge site, they can build two towers on that site and allocate some part to the senior residence.

The City has apparently purchased this building for affordable housing.

The intent is not to redevelop, but re-occupy; seemingly with little to no renovation, as re-occupancy will apparently begin in May, and the deal only closed Monday.

I wonder how all the seniors who called this home and were summarily evicted will feel about that?

The City has apparently purchased this building for affordable housing.

The intent is not to redevelop, but re-occupy; seemingly with little to no renovation, as re-occupancy will apparently begin in May, and the deal only closed Monday.

I wonder how all the seniors who called this home and were summarily evicted will feel about that?
The seniors may well not be happy. However, it was not the City who evicted them, it was the developer, and that was 3 years ago.

And there WILL be some renovation, more in some units than others. Occupancy will begin in May, on a little under half of the units, with the second phase moving in after needed renovations. The closing was indeed just Tuesday, but has been all-but-done for a month or 2.

How do I know? My workplace is involved in the process. I'm not going to explain that further because I can't.

The seniors may well not be happy. However, it was not the City who evicted them, it was the developer, and that was 3 years ago.

And there WILL be some renovation, more in some units than others. Occupancy will begin in May, on a little under half of the units, with the second phase moving in after needed renovations. The closing was indeed just Tuesday, but has been all-but-done for a month or 2.

How do I know? My workplace is involved in the process. I'm not going to explain that further because I can't.

I'm aware it wasn't the City who did the evicting. I was merely observing that the site was affordable'ish housing for the vulnerable.....and now will be again.

Thanks for the insight; I certainly wouldn't expect you to compromise yourself at work, so any information is much appreciated!

Statement from Councillor Mike Layton:

New Supportive Housing at 877 Yonge St.

April 15, 2021

I am excited to share that, with assistance from the federal government, the City has purchased a property in Ward 11 that will provide approximately 250 Toronto residents with urgently needed permanent, affordable, and high-quality supportive housing.

877 Yonge Street, a former private seniors’ residence, will now become affordable apartments for women, Indigenous residents, seniors, people with disabilities, and individuals experiencing, or at risk of, homelessness. Providing these homes will go a long way to improving the quality of life of some of Toronto’s most vulnerable residents, and I’m pleased that we’ll be opening the doors of this building and welcoming our new neighbours to our community soon.

The first 127 units are expected to be ready for residents in May, and the remainder will be available in December. The building will consist of studio and one-bedroom apartments, each containing a bathroom and kitchen.

877 Yonge will be managed by St. Clare’s Multifaith Housing Society, a non-profit organization with experience and demonstrated success in the community. Along with operating the building, St. Clare’s will connect tenants with individualized supports that meet each person’s unique needs. Residents will have access to medical and mental health services; education, training and employment opportunities; and other programming that promotes their wellbeing and helps to ensure that they stay permanently housed. The building will also have communal areas, a dining room, laundry, and programming space.

There are currently nearly 8,000 people experiencing homelessness in Toronto, and units such as these are urgently needed throughout the city. Securing new homes at 877 Yonge is just one component of addressing this crisis, and the City has acquired or is building a total of 1,100 new supportive housing units to be occupied this year.

Making this many homes available at once is a significant step forward for Toronto, and I am confident that we will continue on this positive trajectory. It gives me hope that after years of disinvestment, governments are finally stepping up and taking meaningful action to house those in need. The tide of homelessness has only begun to turn thanks to the work and compassion of the activists, residents, and Councillors who have tirelessly used their voices to bring action.

You can find additional information on 877 Yonge at toronto.ca/877Yonge. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me at councillor_layton@toronto.ca, or contact the City’s Community Liaison for the project at 437-684-5857 or communityliaison@bigideaspace.ca.

Consultation:

I will also be hosting two online Community Information Sessions, alongside City Staff, on April 29th and May 12th.
To register, please visit toronto.ca/877Yonge

Back