News   May 08, 2024
 632     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 892     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.1K     3 

77 Bloor St. W ( 2 storey rooftop conversion and canopy)

quick shot

Oct 20

1e98.jpg

I don't know if they've covered it up, but when I passed by the other day, they had taken down one of the TD Waterhouse signs and behind it was an original Toronto Dominion Bank logo from the 70s (I guess). They just covered it up in one of their renovations.

Wow. What on earth happened?
I worked in this building for over a year, most of 2012-part of 2013. I left when they were just finishing the new windows. They should have stopped there. That canopy is an absolute mess by the looks of things.

Regarding the sign, TD is phasing out the Waterhouse name. So they're probably going to replace it with some newer, possibly LED logo that just says TD as they are still the lead tenant by a longshot (as far as I know). There may be a small chance that they add the word "Wealth" beside the logo, but I doubt it.
Likely just keeping up with the new CIBC sign atop their building down the street at Yonge.

The canopy isn't even the biggest offender here. The strip of glazing added along the top makes no sense, given the grid of windows on the rest of the building. I wish they would have respected that existing style of window, as it's actually quite nice to look at and it's aged well.

The obsession of "newer is better" in this city continues to mislead us.

In that vein, do we know which shitkicking, knuckle-dragger 'designed' this (not the original Zeidler building, the tumorous lamprey attached)?

The addition on top is very insensitive, and really detracts from the building. The canopy is nice, but it looks really odd since it isn't continued on both sides.

I really don't mind the podium treatment, especially after seeing that second last picture posted. It works with the building.

But as Sp!re mentioned, the top floor looks so bad! The least they could have done was continue the precast up along each pillar to meet the rooftop. The spandrel used to cover the pillar looks terrible.

Back