News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 397     0 

650 Bay St Boutique Hotel Redevelopment (Lanterra, ?s, ?)

Whatever potential charm this old building had lurking under years of neglect, is going to be lost with this redo...

Oh, eff it. I'm done. I strongly supported keeping and restoring the building because it's one of the few historic ones left in that entire dreary area, but this is a cheap, totally insensitive so-called "renovation." The next owner might as well knock it down since clearly nobody cares.

..Is it possible that they can hack this structure to death without the city intervening...i thought this was a heritage building.:confused:

It isn't (officially, that is). They're just using the "heritage" alibi to keep it artificially resucitated for a spell.

The tile doesn't look like a pro installation, and they are going to destroy the building's integrity. It won't look like a heritage building. I thought there was a defined line when renovating buildings on a historical list, or maybe this isn't on the list at all.

Good grief, this has actually become a half-assed job at doing a half-assed job.

Somebody please euthanize this, fast.

I walked by yesterday, and some guy was standing on a jack-lift grinding bricks down to level them out for that brutal tile. People were getting sprayed with debris and dust and I got something in my eye. I asked why there was no scaffolding or netting to stop the debris from flying into the street and the guys told me to f-myself. All one can hope for is that this is so poorly done that the building collapses in onto itself.

Good grief, this has actually become a half-assed job at doing a half-assed job.

Somebody please euthanize this, fast.

That's exactly what we'll eventually see happen after this defacing. This building is toast. The veneer on the brick is gone, give them credit for trying to remove that paint first though.
This is also a larger part of the problem with tagging. The more old brick is treated with chemicals, blastings and washes to remove tagging from the old buildings along Queen W., Spadina, Yonge, College W. & other areas prone to heavy tagging, these buildings are beginning to have the same problem with the brick. Graffiti has increased exponentially since Ford went on the warpath so the problem is going to be a very serious one with regards to brick buildings in time to come.

I walked by yesterday, and some guy was standing on a jack-lift grinding bricks down to level them out for that brutal tile. People were getting sprayed with debris and dust and I got something in my eye. I asked why there was no scaffolding or netting to stop the debris from flying into the street and the guys told me to f-myself. All one can hope for is that this is so poorly done that the building collapses in onto itself.

I'm sure there's some sort of number you can call regarding this no ? This must clearly be in violation of something / a lot of things ?

I walked past this building many times. The clay brick is in very poor condition. There is no possible way to restore it. Even the paint could no longer protect it. That doesn't negate the half ass job but, anyone bitching about the brick needs a reality check. I'm also quite convinced the building is wood framed with a brick veneer facade so there is no inner layer of brick as with brick structures to repair the damaged facade.

That rendering is appalling, it looks like a 7 year old drew it with crayons. We are watching a fiasco unfold.

Someone needs to inform them that the writing is on the wall (even if they can't see it): I predict they will go bankrupt even before they open their doors.

...Parkdalians comment regarding it's likeness to an 80's retail concourse is spot on. I wouldn't be surprised if they got their materials from an 80's mall demo-sale.

Last edited:
Whatever the case, heritage or not - they are doing such a poor job at everything and anything, that the building will most likely need to come down upon completion. My thoughts are that this is all deliberate - that this will eventually lead to the building coming down and the owners either selling or developing.

Back