News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

49 Bathurst Street (?, ?s, ?)

AHK

Member Bio
Reaction score
Potential redevelopment site, currently a large 'T' shaped parking lot. The parking lot is one block south of the planned Ontario Line station at King and Bathurst streets.

A ground sampling contractor - Profile Drilling - on site at the parking lot west of Victoria Memorial Square. According to Google Maps, the office hut for the parking lot has a street address of 535 - 543 Wellington Street West. From Google Maps, with Bathurst Street on the left, and Victoria Memorial Square on the right:

1641310558882.png

View from Wellington Street:

Wellington View.jpg

View from Bathurst Street:

Bathurst View.jpg

The ground sampling drilling machine:

Machine.jpg

Profile Drilling:

Truck.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I've been wondering what would happen with these properties - it's a bit of an oddly shaped site with the existing two condos + heritage structure, not to mention being adjacent to Victoria Square.

A midrise or a low end highrise condo will probably be built here to blend in with the others being close to a park. Would love to see a skyscraper though lol!

Excellent, the park could use some section 37 funds. Definitely needs a new playground, and maybe they could squeeze in a small dog park. This park is heavily used, nowhere to sit usually, would love benches like they did in Queen's Park. Needs new sod, lots of it is just dirt from all the dogs playing. Some landscaping around the statue would be nice too, shrubbery.

The entire .81 acre property assembly, consisting of the 27,000 square foot brick post and beam building at 49 Bathurst Street, along with the T shaped parking lot, is being marketed by the Royal Bank Capital Markets group. The site has frontages on three streets: 127 feet along Bathurst Street, 197 feet along Wellington Street West, and 75 feet along Niagara Street. Potential branding per marketing brochure: The Residences At 4.9

Given the need for additional park space in this area, hopefully given the City's interests and Metrolinx commitments for community benefits, something can be worked out between them to expand Victoria Memorial Square.

Last edited:
Yes, this was recently brokered for sale by RBC Capital Markets. The bid date was a few weeks ago. A buyer likely has it under contract at this time. It is the heritage office building at 49 Bathurst, and the surface parking lots. Note that the site is divided in three by a T shaped City lane which will complicate any development plans. While the City is forced to process planning applications in accordance with the PPS, Growth Plan, principles of "good planning", etc., they cannot be forced to sell land to facilitate development. So this gives an edge to the City in any negotiations on this site.

1645811960398.png

Last edited:
I just heard via what appears to be a good source that this property will be a park? Has anyone else heard that?

Doubtful. This went through a very flashy, public, vend earlier this year. Not sure who purchased it, but unless it was the City, it's not going to be a park.

Yes I got the impression it was the City - I'll see if I can find out more thx
That would be amaaaaazing. City needs to spend this giant war chest. Could have gotten a lot more bang for their buck had they not sat on it for decades but... I guess better late than never.

I'm seeing signs of the city actually spending more and more of the CIL parkland money, which is getting to be an insane amount of cash.. but yea, it's not going to go as far as it once would have.

Better late than never, I guess.

This would be very cool as it would also preserve the existing, brick and beam, 49 Bathurst building on site, something that the CIM recommended would become 'facade only'. That said, there is no transaction yet posted, so we'll have to wait and see.

Back