News   Jul 19, 2024
 230     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 535     1 

46th Canadian General Election

Could we see Trudeau revisit this soon if it stands a chance of torpedoing the Con's chances? The LPC is smoked under the current system, so you might as well set a torch to the lot on your way out.
The problem is that they have no legitimacy to implement this policy at this point. The Conservatives will, rightly, scream bloody murder that Trudeau is trying to rig the system to save his party.

Legitimacy is a fickle thing. They had a mandate in 2015. Not so much anymore. Especially when you're talking about changing the rules of the game. It has to be above reproach.

Could we see Trudeau revisit this soon if it stands a chance of torpedoing the Con's chances? The LPC is smoked under the current system, so you might as well set a torch to the lot on your way out.
I suppose they could try, but most alternative voting systems tend to fragment voting intentions. It might block the CPC but it also might be seen to fragment their own base. No clue how the numbers would turn out and I doubt they would try until the party has gamed it. By the time a Bill is drafted and run through the legislative process, I'm not sure there would be enough time unless they have a Bill in their back pocket. I would imagine the Senate would bog it down as best they could.

Any proposed system that has any impact on ridings would impact Elections Canada as well as all the party riding associations, fundraising, etc.

Minister of Labour and Seniors Seamus O’Regan announced he's resigning from Trudeau's cabinet and not running for re-election.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more cabinet ministers say they're not running for re-election in the coming months. A lucrative role in the private sector is more appealing than four years in the opposition benches, especially if you don't have leadership ambitions.

Back