News   Jul 15, 2024
 322     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 467     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

44th Canadian Federal Election

How ridiculous that the NDP has such a high percentage but will end up only winning 5% of seats. Damn our political system is flawed
I don't think its flawed in that way , it gives equal representation for people living in rural areas of Canada , if we just had a popular vote they would only look after the urban voters to win elections and rural voters would be left out

reminds of an old union job i had , when we voted on 1)contract and or 2)to keep or change the union (popular vote wins) out of 12 departments 1 department had about 50% of total union employees , so the union only really cared about keeping that 1 department happy during negotiations, things would have been different if each department had its own vote , then the total departments would be added up (like ridings in an election)

I don't think its flawed in that way , it gives equal representation for people living in rural areas of Canada , if we just had a popular vote they would only look after the urban voters to win elections and rural voters would be left out

reminds of an old union job i had , when we voted on 1)contract and or 2)to keep or change the union (popular vote wins) out of 12 departments 1 department had about 50% of total union employees , so the union only really cared about keeping that 1 department happy during negotiations, things would have been different if each department had its own vote , then the total departments would be added up (like ridings in an election)

If all votes are equal, and my vote is worth your vote, then where we live within that jurisdiction is not and should not be relevant.

A vote is a vote.

Rural voters should not have an out-sized say; nor should they be ignored.
But their influence should be in proportion to their numbers. That's fair.

That said, much of the unfairness in our voting system has nothing to do w/the urban/rural split.

Conservatives are under-represented in most cities, as are the NDP, to say nothing of the Greens, in a system that rewards plurality over proportion.

34% of the vote should not gain any party 100% of the power.

Last edited:

Rural votes count way too much in our current system.

Canada is 60-70% left leaning yet somehow the conservatives are in the lead right now.

If we had a different system the conservatives would be forced to change and adapt into the 21st century. Giving them a chance to get votes from people under 50 and those with a brain.

I seriously wish more young people could think of the conservatives as an option, they are stuck in their old ways and its depressing.

Rural votes count way too much in our current system.

Canada is 60-70% left leaning yet somehow the conservatives are in the lead right now.

If we had a different system the conservatives would be forced to change and adapt into the 21st century. Giving them a chance to get votes from people under 50 and those with a brain.

I seriously wish more young people could think of the conservatives as an option, they are stuck in their old ways and its depressing.

I think another issue is that there's really only one 'right leaning' party (another reflection of the fact the country is generally more left-leaning).

For a lot of people, there's plenty of overlap between the NDP and Liberals. If those two merged, then the new Liberal-NDP party would probably win most of the time, until at least the Conservatives moved further to the left by necessity.

I finally found my polling station.

Turns out I have to go to Midland and Eglinton at the Don Montgomery Community Centre. Not really close to my house.

My grandmother is worse. She has to go from Altona and Highway 2 in Pickering to just south of the Pickering Town Centre to vote.

Alot of people may not vote this election given how far they have to travel.

I get that it is a social distancing thing but people like my grandmother who couldn't figure out a mail-in ballot may not be able to drive 20 mins to vote.

I finally found my polling station.

Turns out I have to go to Midland and Eglinton at the Don Montgomery Community Centre. Not really close to my house.

My grandmother is worse. She has to go from Altona and Highway 2 in Pickering to just south of the Pickering Town Centre to vote.

Alot of people may not vote this election given how far they have to travel.

I get that it is a social distancing thing but people like my grandmother who couldn't figure out a mail-in ballot may not be able to drive 20 mins to vote.
I'm 70 years old. I went on-line to register to vote by mail-in ballot. I had already scanned my driver's license years ago when I renewed it (as a backup for reference purposes). Was able to send that PDF image as proof of ID.

Got my envelope earlier this week. Checked the spelling of my candidates' names on-line for my riding, on-line. Shockingly, I was also able to write the candidate name down on the ballot. Followed the instructions to insert the ballot inside the inner envelope, then the second envelope, and then the mail-in envelope. Then astonishingly, I was able to walk a block to the mailbox to drop it in the mailbox.

It was so hard for me to do... NOT!

My polling station is a ~5 min walk from my house. No complaints. I will be using the advance polling days to avoid crowding.

Let's say the Conservatives win a slim minority, but the Liberals and NDP are able to scrape together a coalition. Do you think Trudeau steps down as Liberal leader? Would there be enough support for him among the Liberal caucus, and would the NDP demand that they find someone else?

It would be funny seeing Goldman Sachs alumn Mark Carney breaking deals with Jagmeet Singh.

My polling station is a ~5 min walk from my house. No complaints. I will be using the advance polling days to avoid crowding.
Vote at your assigned polling station from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on:
  • Friday, September 10;
  • Saturday, September 11;
  • Sunday, September 12;
  • Monday, September 13.
And you can vote by mail, by registering on-line at this link or at a Elections Canada office before Tuesday, September 14, 6:00 p.m.

Or you can vote TODAY using by that same special (mail-in) ballot at any of Elections Canada office.
  • Monday to Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
  • Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
  • Sunday: noon to 4:00 p.m.

Find the Elections Canada office nearest to you.

Got my envelope earlier this week. Checked the spelling of my candidates' names on-line for my riding, on-line. Shockingly, I was also able to write the candidate name down on the ballot. Followed the instructions to insert the ballot inside the inner envelope, then the second envelope, and then the mail-in envelope. Then astonishingly, I was able to walk a block to the mailbox to drop it in the mailbox.

It was so hard for me to do... NOT!

My grandmother is an 85 year old immigrant with no computer and minimal technology skills. English is not her first language.

She refuses to do anything she cannot understand and will ask me to help her understand paperwork. She is particularly concerned about causing problems because she cannot understand certain documentation or technology.

I doubt she could figure out a mail in ballot. She also has health issues so driving 20 mins to vote is not always an option as it depends on her blood pressure.

Let's say the Conservatives win a slim minority, but the Liberals and NDP are able to scrape together a coalition. Do you think Trudeau steps down as Liberal leader? Would there be enough support for him among the Liberal caucus, and would the NDP demand that they find someone else?

It would be funny seeing Goldman Sachs alumn Mark Carney breaking deals with Jagmeet Singh.

It's an interesting thought. Personally I'd rather see a Liberal-NDP coalition take hold of power if the CPC scrapes into a minority position.

It's an interesting thought. Personally I'd rather see a Liberal-NDP coalition take hold of power if the CPC scrapes into a minority position.

That was considered once before in 2006 I believe it was.

That led to a prorogation of parliament and later dissolution. The gambit failed and Harper won the ensuing election.

That led to a prorogation of parliament and later dissolution. The gambit failed and Harper won the ensuing election.
It's not inherently impossible. Coalitions do work from time to time in parliamentary democracies like ours (think the Conservative-Lib Dem coalition in the UK). The example you mention was a three-way coalition with a separatist party and a wobbly leader (Dion).

I think it would have a much greater chance at success this time around.

Back