News   Aug 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 827     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.7K     3 

407 Rail Freight Bypass/The Missing Link

It wouldn’t cost that much to create a new route through the industrial zone north of Dixon, from Woodbine down to Airport Road where the new terminal is proposed, and then along the top of the International Center property back to the mainline at Malton. It’s all industrial land so little NIMBY opposition. Not that many properties to expropriate. A bit of a waste of the investment in the UPE route, however.

I like the idea of extending LRT to connect the air Terminal to Malton station, although a BRT would probably cost less and handle the ridership just fine.

- Paul

Metrolinx has updated their page for the Kitchener Line Expansion and added a fact sheet PDF.

Page: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/greaterregion/projects/kitchener-go-expansion.aspx#projectupdate

Fact sheet: http://www.metrolinx.com/images/greaterregion/projects/kitchener-go-expansion/MX RER Factsheet Kitchener V2.pdf

I've extracted the map:

2EsLUPO
This strikes me as a great idea. It would be good to move CN away from the main line after georgetown, just concerned about ROW.

This strikes me as a great idea. It would be good to move CN away from the main line after georgetown, just concerned about ROW.
Is that what that map shows?

It looks to me that what is being considered is moving passenger rail onto a new corridor going to the airport......bypassing Brampton and Malton by the looks of it

Someone else may know more when a federal or provincial EA has to be used, but I'm just wondering if there are similarities to Bowmanville. In that case, a new track is needed to connect the existing GO Lakeshore East line, across the Oshawa parking lot, to CP's line. I haven't heard or seen any indication in that project that it's going to be a federal EA. Yes, I do realize in the Bowmanville case the connecting track between Lakeshore and CP will only be used by GO trains.

Ah, but the new trackage in Oshawa is only a short distance. The EA rules (I will fish out the link, although I have posted it a couple of times before) only require an EA if more than 16 km's of new right of way is proposed. Adding a second track to a line doesn't force a Federal EA, although a whole new operation arguably might.

Edit - Bowmanville did get a provincial EA, however. The report is here.

- Paul

So that is new trackage by Metrolinx, so that plus the implementation of new stations is why an EA was done there. CP is not the proponent, they are just the host railway that Metrolinx needs to negotiate with to realize the vision for their commuter service. It's not a parallel to draw here; this is primarily a freight corridor for private

EA stuff

Provincial notes regarding the provincial TPAP process here. One interesting note is that it doesn't apply to private sector projects. So, arguably, if CN were the proponent of the bypass, they arguably wouldn't need a Provincial EA. Good luck making that fly without litigation! I suspect CN would have little or no interest in taking this on, with all the heat it would attract.

Federal EA Regulations here, specifying that a Federal EA is required if

• - Paul

As per my original comment, yes, CN/CP do not require a provincial EA. Looking at the federal rules, it seems that the bypass could hit 32 km, or just be under it. If they want future HSR on it, that could be the trigger too. I think either way, the feds will ask for it, if there isn't a trigger, I'm sure they could demand it somehow through other Ministerial powers, or whomever is doing the EA could do it voluntarily...

Which brings me back to my original point. I'm interested to know who is doing the EA, it would answer a lot of questions I'm sure all UT'ers here have, EA and otherwise.

I think is an error on the map. As is the routing of the existing UP Express spur route.

What the actual hell. I'm not putting too much weight into this, these just look like options which are required for any assessment, but I also imagine sticking to the current corridor is an actual option. I mean, they would actually consider diverting from Mt Pleasant to the north terminus of the Hurontario-Main LRT and call it a day? C'mon. It just seems like a leftover from early day blue sky sketches.

It would also fit with the HSR announcement that they are 'sticking to existing tracks' to get their EA for that done faster, which involves stopping at Malton. So begs the question, why would the province look at a new corridor if the feds are already doing work in the existing corridor? Fixed costs could be covered by the feds, just partner up to shoehorn any GO expansion work in there too and you pay the applicable variable costs. Way cheaper, and it's why the other options wouldn't stand up to an evaluation.

What the actual hell. I'm not putting too much weight into this, these just look like options which are required for any assessment, but I also imagine sticking to the current corridor is an actual option. I mean, they would actually consider diverting from Mt Pleasant to the north terminus of the Hurontario-Main LRT and call it a day? C'mon. It just seems like a leftover from early day blue sky sketches.

It would also fit with the HSR announcement that they are 'sticking to existing tracks' to get their EA for that done faster, which involves stopping at Malton. So begs the question, why would the province look at a new corridor if the feds are already doing work in the existing corridor? Fixed costs could be covered by the feds, just partner up to shoehorn any GO expansion work in there too and you pay the applicable variable costs. Way cheaper, and it's why the other options wouldn't stand up to an evaluation.

I would be surprised if these options are serious in anyone's mind - anyone actually connected to the project, anyways. The purpose of an EA analysis is to consider options and evaluate them, leading to a 'proven' preferred option. It's very likely that these options are just the notional alternatives that have to be studied to deliver a conclusion that the route we have assumed all along - the Weston/Halton Subs - is the right one. In EA space, if you skip this step the EA can be challenged.

I'm wondering if this study result is also needed to sustain some legal step contemplated down the road. @steve has offered the view that the law does permit an expropriation or forced entry onto CN's route. An EA study demonstrating that there is no reasonable or viable option might be viewed as an essential element of the legal argument.

I'm told (as recently as last evening) that the ML food chain is sincerely pursuing the bypass. Being earnest does not guarantee that one will be successful, but if it is proving to be a total non-starter, the ML internal grapevine hasn't digested that possibility. Yet.

- Paul

My understanding with GTAA buying the International Centre is that the plan for the Pearson Transit hub has now evolved to it being located at Malton with a people mover between it and the terminals. This keeps trains from having to detour off corridor to service the airport as well.

If a new spur is ever built, then a HSR+UPX viaduct above Dixon? It actually literally connects Weston to Malton, with a stop in Pearson.

This would discontinue the old UPX viaduct but would cover the "UPX/VIA/HSR coming from east" versus "HSR/VIA coming from the west" rail connections.

If we can tolerate a viaduct rather than tunnels, and only on Dixon, maybe doable within this budget. Have to be reasonably aesthetic looking, not Gardiner-like, but not necessarily full Davenport (maybe almost in sections, where necessary).

I still think a Link II shuttle is more feasible, keeping HSR/RER on existing corridor.

Realistically, a viaduct it would have to be tunnelled under Dixon east of Islington where the ROW narrows and you have single-family homes on the street. If I were to map this out, I'd have a tunnel under Dixon east that then turns up under the hydro corridor in the vicinity of Martin Grove, and reconnects to the existing corridor at Etobicoke North....this allows use of the already-procured tunnel twinning under the 401.

That said, I think it'll full circle to Malton being the Pearson Hub. It just makes more fiscal sense. Even a high-speed "LINK II" rail shuttle between it and the terminals, would actually be a hell lot cheaper than trying to redirect the Georgetown/Kitchener HSR corridor to go through Pearson.

It may be a ploy to convince CN and CP that they stand to benefit by negotiating with Metrolinx, and even provides them with an alternative.

Current signals still point to Malton.

My understanding with GTAA buying the International Centre is that the plan for the Pearson Transit hub has now evolved to it being located at Malton with a people mover between it and the terminals. This keeps trains from having to detour off corridor to service the airport as well.
Source? Because I hope that this is the case. It seems like the plan that makes the most sense, by far.

That said, I think it'll full circle to Malton being the Pearson Hub. It just makes more fiscal sense. Even a high-speed "LINK II" rail shuttle between it and the terminals, would actually be a hell lot cheaper than trying to redirect the Georgetown/Kitchener HSR corridor to go through Pearson.

It is the most logical decision (which of course will mean 3 or 4 EA's until they reach it as the right one).

Some of the LINK and UP ROW can be used (LINK may need structural improvements so a full shut down).

Can almost go in a full circle.

Malton GO
Along Airport Road (at or below grade) to T3 (where it meets the LINK right of way)
LINK right of way to T1
UP right of way to the edge of the Viscount lot (new location for a station)
UP right or way to just before the tracks
Turn left and follow the tracks back to Malton GO

This can be a single tracked loop or Malton GO-Viscount double track (loop would allow for easier access at platforms)

I would hope they would re-build the Int'l Center near the Viscount lot (maybe double the size of the parking lot and build a new International Center on the top floor of the expanded parking garage). Conference space is so important to our hospitality industry and workers.

Back