News   Apr 24, 2024
 987     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 631     0 

407 Rail Freight Bypass/The Missing Link

The other interesting thing about the slides for the upcoming Board meeting is that they say "two tracks initially and up to a total of six tracks for the long term". I wonder if that suggests that they still hope CP Rail comes to the table.

I saw that too, and wondered if it was actually a reference to how the GO line from Bramalea might look with "HSR" added in someday. I can't imagine needing six tracks for the bypass even with CP on board. Railways in the US haul 100+ trains per day on 3-track lines. We are nowhere near that volume.

Re Richmond Hill - my thought was simply that it's the one line that hasn't seen any enhancement yet, and nobody is really pushing for any. Defer the Doncaster flyover, do nothing with flood control on the Don (a costly line item). Don't electrify.

Oh....and here's the one that makes me shudder....the biggest single project that will be clamouring for provincial funding post-2020 is - the Toronto DRL. Adjust the DRL timing by a year...... not a prudent choice, in my view, but one that would go virtually unnoticed by the public.

- Paul

The other interesting thing about the slides for the upcoming Board meeting is that they say "two tracks initially and up to a total of six tracks for the long term". I wonder if that suggests that they still hope CP Rail comes to the table.

Also, I wonder if that means the hydro towers would have to move to create more spaces on the south side of the 407. I could measure the width of six tracks and the see what that looks like on the 407 corridor. I'm sure Steve will want to comment on this.
I saw that too, and wondered if it was actually a reference to how the GO line from Bramalea might look with "HSR" added in someday. I can't imagine needing six tracks for the bypass even with CP on board. Railways in the US haul 100+ trains per day on 3-track lines. We are nowhere near that volume.

Re Richmond Hill - my thought was simply that it's the one line that hasn't seen any enhancement yet, and nobody is really pushing for any. Defer the Doncaster flyover, do nothing with flood control on the Don (a costly line item). Don't electrify.

Oh....and here's the one that makes me shudder....the biggest single project that will be clamouring for provincial funding post-2020 is - the Toronto DRL. Adjust the DRL timing by a year...... not a prudent choice, in my view, but one that would go virtually unnoticed by the public.

- Paul

This is an excellent point. weigh the two options: expand the Kitchener corridor, or piggyback on a new freight line. Particularly given space issues in downtown Brampton as-is. The bypass is supposed to alleviate that issue, why conjure it up again?

Also, it's about time that Hydro One gets told to shove it and make some space. I do understand the desire to keep the status quo to minimize risk of electrical grid disruptions, but if there's anything that warrants some damn space it's this.

I think there is both not much demand for Richmond Hill Line currently so its the first on the chopping block.

Also, Metrolinx might be waiting to see what happens with Missing Link before spending a lot of money on flood control: CP on the missing link would open up using the Don Branch Line instead for the Richmond Hill line.

This would both avoid the flood issue and speed up travel times on the line.

Metrolinx might be waiting to see what happens with Missing Link before spending a lot of money on flood control: CP on the missing link would open up using the Don Branch Line instead for the Richmond Hill line.
Was looking at the Don Branch track from above at the weekend when passing over on the 505 streetcar. Starting to look very furry. Kinda wish they would move the track switch further north (Gerrard) so that the Richmond Hill line could have two operational tracks all the way in from the Brickworks.

Was looking at the Don Branch track from above at the weekend when passing over on the 505 streetcar. Starting to look very furry. Kinda wish they would move the track switch further north (Gerrard) so that the Richmond Hill line could have two operational tracks all the way in from the Brickworks.

Yeah ive often wondered why they dont do that.

A tiny switch rebuild would allow for even more double track on RH. Would cost next to nothing.

Yeah ive often wondered why they dont do that.

A tiny switch rebuild would allow for even more double track on RH. Would cost next to nothing.

I guess the question is if it's needed for the current service level. It may still be too short of stretch to allow more service.

The new thing I learn is that the Freight Bypass could be six tracks wide someday! And they want to protect for possible passenger use of the Freight Bypass (as a six-track corridor -- presumably two for CN, two for CP, and two for passenger?). Two tracks to begin with, to divert CN initially.

... Now as Ontario funding "relief", I would perhaps view the Freight Bypass off-the-Ontario-books via federal infrastructure. Given intercity mainlines/freight corridors are a federal purview, it sounds the most logical route of funding.

Precedent of 100% federal funding already exists in the now-completed federal $1 billion funding of VIA+freight improvements, including the Kingston triple-tracking that mainly benefits freight companies.

The question is -- is this Election 2018 stuff, or can anything be accelerated sooner? The number I keep reading is $5 billion, but is that CN-only or both CN and CP? I would hope they could pull this off initially for far less than $5 billion if it's a CN-only diversion of just two tracks initially.

Last edited:
The question is -- is this Election 2018 stuff, or can anything be accelerated sooner? The number I keep reading is $5 billion, but is that CN-only or both CN and CP?

Pretty sure $5B is with CP in but if someone has a direct quote from the media or the Mississauga report that would be helpful.

It's a complicated equation and what follows is my rough stab at it. The bypass has a cost but also saves CN distance and potentially grade which could increase speeds. The Bramalea to Georgetown stretch may either need to be sold or part of a swap. Track between Georgetown and Milton wouldn't be needed so I guess CN could sell the land to developers (the non-Greenbelt portions). Then there's the expropriation cost for the bypass, especially between Meadowvale and Milton where it would run outside the 407 corridor owned by the Province. All reminds me of that spreadsheet Paul referenced earlier.

So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Pretty sure $5B is with CP in but if someone has a direct quote from the media or the Mississauga report that would be helpful.

It doesn't. There will be some additional cost to bring CP over; at very least there will be a payment to rearrange/move current CP Toronto yards and purchase their old corridor.

Last edited:
I think there is both not much demand for Richmond Hill Line currently so its the first on the chopping block.

Also, Metrolinx might be waiting to see what happens with Missing Link before spending a lot of money on flood control: CP on the missing link would open up using the Don Branch Line instead for the Richmond Hill line.

This would both avoid the flood issue and speed up travel times on the line.

Using the former CP branch to save costs from flood protecting the RH Corridor in the Don Valley might decrease the flood protection budget but don't they still need to do something about the tracks south of where the former CP branch starts? It also suffers from flooding. See the first series of pics here. Maybe if they keep the same level of service today they'll just take the risk of flooding. Or, maybe they'll be required to elevate the tracks by some sort of regulatory requirement.

Did a quick map below to illustrate area (blue Metrolinx, fmr CN, active for RHill; pink Metrolinx, fmr CP, inactive).

map-1.png

Last edited:
The new thing I learn is that the Freight Bypass could be six tracks wide someday! And they want to protect for possible passenger use of the Freight Bypass (as a six-track corridor -- presumably two for CN, two for CP, and two for passenger?). Two tracks to begin with, to divert CN initially.
Precedent of 100% federal funding already exists in the now-completed federal $1 billion funding of VIA+freight improvements, including the Kingston triple-tracking that mainly benefits freight companies.

I was wondering if the extra 2 tracks are for HSR Mtl-Ott-Peterborough-Vaughan-Kitchener-London (with connecting GO train/TTC to Toronto at York U and the Airport). Would save probably 40 km of track and billions of dollars. Of course not serve the needs of travellers but has that stopped government before?

I was wondering if the extra 2 tracks are for HSR Mtl-Ott-Peterborough-Vaughan-Kitchener-London (with connecting GO train/TTC to Toronto at York U and the Airport). Would save probably 40 km of track and billions of dollars. Of course not serve the needs of travellers but has that stopped government before?

That's an interesting idea. Have all HSR go overtop of Toronto, and then have certain trains basically "turn around" at Pearson, and take the GTS corridor into Union. This would leave LSE exclusively for GO. This would mean slightly longer trip times for people coming into downtown, but it would mean that all Toronto-Montreal trains would stop at both Pearson and Trudeau before hitting their downtown termini.

It doesn't. There will be some additional cost to bring CP over; at very least a payment to rearrange/move current Toronto yards and purchase their old corridor.

Here's the report I was thinking of. It was done by IBI Group last year for Mississauga, Milton, Toronto and Cambridge. There is a chart showing the Missing Link costs with CP included, and it amounts to more than $5.3 billion. See chart below from page 14/27 of the PDF.

So, if CP were removed from the bypass and only improvements/new track was required between Bramalea and Milton, the budget could decrease from $5.3B to *about* $3.9B, as $1.4B (the "widening sections of the York Subdivisions") wouldn't be required. I took the $2.8B widening figure and divided it in half to remove the York Sub. That's a very general assumption some may dispute.

With CP participating, the CN York Sub has to be widened to accommodate them and CP Galt Sub to accommodate CN Rail between Meadowvale and Milton. The report says:

6. Expansion of CP’s Galt Subdivision. This will include a rail/rail grade separation allowing GO Transit trains to cross over the Missing Link. It will include five tracks, three freight and two passenger, between the Lisgar GO Station and the Milton GO Station. West of the Milton GO Station three freight tracks are proposed to the new Milton Connection.

7. New connection from CP’s Galt Subdivision to CN’s Halton Subdivision allowing CN trains to return to the Halton Subdivision

I used Google Earth to try and interpret what this would look like based on the text above (feel free to correct me):

option-b.png

However, I do wonder if another option exists and that's to keep the bypass north of the 401 given only CN has signed on. Would CP even let CN use this corridor if they are not participating? Or, as Steve has pointed out, could this be the federal Minister of Transportation's opportunity to use the hammer in the Act? The route below is actually a shorter for CN and with fewer curves than above.

This could be considered the Agreement in Principal route:

option-a.png

Below is a third option of how to connect CP back to the Galt Sub (didn't measure the distance). The only reason I'm suggesting it is because the IBI Group report or map in the Metrolinx slides didn't provide this level of detail and they were likely hesitant to. We don't have that constraint on Urban Toronto :)

option-c.png

I'm really ballparking here so if there's are incorrect assumptions, poor math, or it's just too soon to speculate, feel free to make that comment - don't mind in the slightest. I'm also not a civil engineer so all the maps I've created could be unrealistic. Fun to try though.

As an aside, LA's Alameda Corridor is "notable for the Mid-Corridor Trench, a below-ground, triple-tracked rail line that is 10 miles (16 km) long, 33 feet (10 m) deep, and 50 feet (15 m) wide" (source). I tried to find the capital cost of only the Mid-Corridor Trench and it's difficult. The closest I found for this component of the overall Corridor budget is this from page 38 of the PDF: "Completed Projects: Subtotal Mid-Corridor = $808,623 ($ in thousands)".

Of course for the Mid-Corridor Trench, the entire segment required concrete retaining walls and tracks between Bramalea and Milton may not require every kilometre to have concrete walls.

ml-costs.png

Last edited:
Wow! This string has gone viral...many excellent posts. I was accumulating quotes to answer them, or at least to add comment, and the posts progressed to answering all the points I'd copied to quote. But I'll post them anyway, since there may be nuances where I can add other aspects. Allandale's last post I won't discuss or quote for now since it will take time to study, a lot of good work gone into it.
3) Del Duca will re-allocate funding from other Big Move projects, like the money Brampton said no to for the HMLRT. I realize that money wouldn't be enough for the bypass/Bowmanville/Niagara but it's a start.
The By-Pass, at least with the rough estimates, isn't cheap, but in the bigger picture, it saves multiples more than it costs. From the IBI report, the $5.3B (as someone later quotes directly) is compared in the same report to be equal to the costs for the K-W line alone to be made usable for all-day frequent passenger service.

3) Del Duca will re-allocate funding from other Big Move projects, like the money Brampton said no to for the HMLRT. I realize that money wouldn't be enough for the bypass/Bowmanville/Niagara but it's a start.
Again, I don't know what the estimated cost of the Brampton LRT sections is, but in the big scheme of things, the By-Pass is affordable.

Quite possible, maybe not by padding the books. The mixed freight-GO plan needed some big ticket items eg flyovers. The cost of the bypass plus the simpler enhancements to the Mount Pleasant line (much less required assuming it's freight-free) may be close to cost-neutral to what ML was budgeting pre-bypass.
Confirmed. Edit to Add: It goes without saying that large trades of 'like-for-like' of RoW ownership will occur, or shares in a consortium in lieu of. At the end of the day, the Feds might have to use the various Acts not to impose actual give and take, it's in everyone's best interest to avoid that, but they might have to impose who gets what slice of the pie in lieu of trading, and if contested, either the Court or the Commons has final say. If the Feds barter a fair trade, a Court might even refuse to hear the case. If done right, *everyone* wins on this. (which makes it even more attractive for private equity)(not to mention aspects like stations, yards, electrification itself, etc for private equity to finance)

Paul answers this later, but look at it this way: The eastern Lakeshore line section handled (at one time before the CN freight By-Pass) large amounts of freight and passenger with only two, sometimes three tracks in sections. *Long before modern signalling*!

This is an excellent point. weigh the two options: expand the Kitchener corridor, or piggyback on a new freight line. Particularly given space issues in downtown Brampton as-is. The bypass is supposed to alleviate that issue, why conjure it up again?
If the 407 By-Pass comes happens, or is planned to happen in the near future, all need to increase trackage through Brampton is rendered moot. Someone might take issue with the claim on a technicality, but the 407 BP must render that corridor completely into Metrolinx' hands, which, as part of the deal, must allow temporally separated freight at night and access to freight sidings and yards where necessary.
Also, it's about time that Hydro One gets told to shove it and make some space. I do understand the desire to keep the status quo to minimize risk of electrical grid disruptions, but if there's anything that warrants some damn space it's this.
Hydro One is still Gov of Ont owned. They haven't sold it outright yet, and even if they had, the Ont Electric Act makes clear that "multi-use" of the corridor must happen where possible. Don't have the clause handy, have posted it prior, but the inference is for public utilities and transportation. It won't be a problem! If a deal starts shaping up, that land will be made available, even if it means some other trade-off. I foresee a *consortium* being likely that includes the Province, the Feds, CP and CN. VIA and Metrolinx become subsidiary to the governments' ownership, but actively engaged in overseeing operation. Once a consortium is being assembled, I'd be very surprised if the Pension Plans want a slice of it too. It might take on a life of its own, and ownership becomes a case of bonds/shares. This has a deep historical precedent to it. It worked in the past, it will work now. What's missing is strong leadership, and by that, I mean the Feds.

Confirmed.

Did a quick map below to illustrate area (blue Metrolinx, fmr CN, active for RHill; pink Metrolinx, fmr CP, inactive).

Here's the report I was thinking of. It was done by IBI Group last year for Mississauga, Milton, Toronto and Cambridge. There is a chart showing the Missing Link costs with CP included, and it amounts to more than $5.3 billion. See chart below from page 14/27 of the PDF.
That's the confirmation. And it hasn't, to my knowledge, been contested by anyone of note. Even Gormick takes it as a given.

Would CP even let CN use this corridor if they are not participating? Or, as Steve has pointed out, could this be the federal Minister of Transportation's opportunity to use the hammer in the Act? The route below is actually a shorter for CN and with fewer curves than above.
I'm amazed that the national press hasn't picked up more on how almost all, if not all, the pieces are in place to do this. The cover story on the By-Pass got a fair amount of press, where's the follow-on?

Small point: I don't think any electric xmssn pylons will need to be moved. I've read reference to this being needed, but with a *Common Carrier* three track by-pass, with state-of-the-art control, tracks can be threaded between the towers if necessary, but I don't think that will be necessary. I also think HFR can share those same tracks. It's presently done elsewhere, Acela immediately comes to mind, and that's a step above HFR. What might be a problem is clearing piggyback freights under catenary, in which case one of the three tracks can be sans catenary, or a fourth track added, and either singly or paired with another of the remaining three, be threaded more indirectly past the xmssn towers. There's lots of space, moving towers won't be needed. Is there a danger of derailment slamming the tower bases? Absolutely minimized if the tracks are trenched, and especially so if the trench is concrete walled. Freight tracks will have to maintain a shallow gradient, passenger, especially electric traction, can easily handle fly-unders and overs where necessary. That further eases the need for space between towers, and in some cases, the two catenary tracks can be located above the freight ones where needed to clear tight gaps.

Last edited:
The Hydro one transmission thing is something that has to be taken seriously from one perspective, but is easily solved from another.

This particular line balances power distribution across the province. Any event that cuts this tie line has impacts across the grid. That's why the H1 safety envelope is so rigid, and that's a very prudent measure in the big picture. Mishaps and derailments happen, it's a matter of when not if. Keeping the whole rail construction and operation away from the pylons is very necessary. We should not dismiss the need to protect this line.

The nice thing about this problem is - it is easily solved with money. Just move it. Or bury it.

- Paul

Back