News   Jun 14, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 789     0 

400 University Ave (Re-Cladding Zurich, Quadrangle)

Good God that's ugly. And who approved of those colours up against the existing concrete/precast of the Zurich tower? There was nothing wrong with the colours of the mullions it had before.

Well, if they sandblast the concrete flat or apply some granite or whatever cladding, *then* we're in trouble here.

zuricho20.jpg

A few weeks ago I noticed they removed the panel that were installed like the test panel ans assume they were going to scraped them and replace them.

I like the new one, but. They change the glazing also.
Oct 25
10503515784_f437c59588_b.jpg

10503700263_0642b0e9fb_b.jpg

How are they replacing the windows? Is the building currently vacant?

Happens all the time. We re-clad First Canadian Place and that building was far from vacant. In the picture above, they are replacing all the spandrel pieces, which is easy to do without affecting the occupants at all.

Honestly I think this looks pretty good (in person as well) .. at this point one of the better reclads !

Happens all the time. We re-clad First Canadian Place and that building was far from vacant. In the picture above, they are replacing all the spandrel pieces, which is easy to do without affecting the occupants at all.

How does that work for the actual windows though? Do you just ask people to keep clear of areas near windows and do everything from the outside? Is there more to it than that?

In my experience, the glass is installed from the interior. I don't know if this has to do with some safety standard or simply a swing stage wasn't available. It's done at night covering as much area that can be done in one night. Loose items are packed because of the pressure differential and furniture gets moved. Everything is returned by the start of the day.

How does that work for the actual windows though? Do you just ask people to keep clear of areas near windows and do everything from the outside? Is there more to it than that?
The process is flexible. You don't NEED to do it one way, and the process would be tailored to your customer's situation. Most likely, actual vision units wouldn't be replaced during the daytime. It would probably be done during the night to minimize disruption to the workforce.

Windows units can be replaced from either interior or exterior, depending on the situation. Lots of reglazes are done from the exterior on a swingstage, but there are methods for doing it from the interior, as well.

For instance, FCP has had a window replacement program ongoing since the mid-90s, but a lot of this was accelerated during the time that we were recladding the exterior. I believe this coincided with a lot of the interior improvements, as well. That team (different company) did all their replacements from the interior, as they would generally be doing their glazing after the we had the new cladding in place (meaning that suspended platform on the exterior had already been lowered). They worked varying shifts, depending on floor availability. I saw them replacing windows during the daytime, but those were in vacant suites. I also saw them working night shifts in occupied offices.

Last edited:
Holy yuck! This used to be a handsome building and they've ruined it. What were they thinking?

Back