News   Jul 16, 2024
 650     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 581     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 724     2 

400 University Ave (Re-Cladding Zurich, Quadrangle)

It's hardly a bandwagon. I would argue that the current goal in Toronto is that everything has to be bright and glazed; Is there really something so wrong with having an architectural diversity even if it includes "heavier", darker buildings like Zurich?

I think the original cladding looks dated and don't mind replacement, unlike in the case of the Sutton Place hotel where the concrete and glass still look great. Usually, I don't mind dated cladding as a lot of good architecture is slighted as being "dated" simply because tastes changed, not because there's anything actually inferior about it. In this case, I don't think the original cladding makes the impression of elegance and sophistication it meant to have when originally chosen. From a distance, it looks like it could be some cheap brown-plated metal. But the new test cladding looks even worse because it's so bland.

The reclad appears to be under way. There's the beginnings of scaffolding and what looks like one panel in place on the Simcoe side.

It's... not good.

zurichs1.jpg

I loved the original cladding. Made the building easily recognizable from afar and a refreshing change from the sea of light grey concrete and glass.

RIP zurich tower. That test cladding piece looked crap.

Won't be the "Zurich" Tower for much longer.
My girlfriend works at Zurich and she's told me that they're moving to FCP in the new year.

This may end up looking as bad as that brick building they reclad on Wellington. Based upon what has been put up at this point, this is not going to end well.

This may end up looking as bad as that brick building they reclad on Wellington. Based upon what has been put up at this point, this is not going to end well.

+1... I have a very bad feeling about this one - especially after looking at that test panel...

Strangely enough, I don't think it would turn out too badly - in an anonymous way. I do wish however that the mullion is flush with the glazing however (instead of projecting slightly outward).

AoD

Is there anyone who finds that shade of grey attractive? I really can't understand Toronto's obsession with this drab colour. It pains me to see it go on and on. In fact, hating grey has become my obsession, due to the fact that it's bloody EVERYWHERE!

Torontovibe:

It's not so much so that the grey is attractive but that grey in this instance might lead to less of an aesthetic disaster with the dark concrete. Personally I would have preferred stone cladding but that's something we clearly aren't going to get.

AoD

The first set of the new cladding is up on the west of the tower and a few floors above grade

Photos to follow later

Back