News   Apr 25, 2024
 311     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 977     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

28 St. Thomas (cancelled office conversion to condo by &Co)

This building will be taken over the by Ontario College of Teachers.

from: http://www.oct.ca/news/building/default.aspx?lang=en-CA

building.jpg

The College is moving down the street next year.

We have purchased majority interest in a building at 101 Bloor Street West at St. Thomas Street in the heart of Toronto’s downtown core.

The new location remains central to Queen’s Park, education stakeholder organizations and to staff, College members, applicants and members of the public. It is within three blocks of subway stations on three lines. The College receives more than 1,700 walk-in visitors each month.

The College will have exclusive naming rights for the building.

College Council unanimously approved the $28.7 million purchase as a move that makes sound financial sense for the College’s future. It creates equity for College members and protects against rising facility costs.

The existing lease on the College’s current space at 121 Bloor Street East expires in 2012. The lease rates the College pays now are expected to double by then.

The Lease vs. Buy comparison made ownership a clear preference.

“After examining all options, we consider this to be the best protection against financial pressures in the form of unknown future facility costs,†said Council Chair Don Cattani.

At more than 80,000 square feet, we will have almost one-third more room than we currently do. The ownership deal also gives us the option to purchase additional floors if we need them in the future.

Because the current owners will retain minority ownership of some floors, we will be applying jointly for conversion to condominium ownership of the building. Subject to City of Toronto approval, the College will take possession on Dec. 31, 2009.

The building is currently empty except for retailers on the ground floor. The windows in the entire building, which was constructed in 1970, have recently been replaced with energy-efficient double-pane glass and the exterior will be repainted when the weather is warmer.

Improving the environmental footprint of the building is a high priority and the College will be seeking LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification.

Significant renovations will begin as soon as we take possession and we will start moving in the spring of 2010.

chart_e.png

Good news, I like this building. It's good to read that it will be brought up to modern office standards and that the outside will get a much needed refresh.
So how warm does it have to be before they begin to re-paint the exterior? :rolleyes:

this building could look very TD Centre / X / Mies when they do the window replacement.

it would be a complementary offset to X on Jarvis and book-end Yonge St. on both sides.

This building is having the square panels underneath the windows painted a light blue/grey colour. It gives it a nice new colourful edge, and animates the street a bit more.

I saw this a little while ago now but never got around to posting it.

Also, the Cole Haan at street level looks AMAZING! So happy to see that happen.

urbandreamer ... is that test curtain wall for the proposed recladding of the entire building ??

I sort of like it ~

thanks PE ... that's too bad, because the original proposal would have looked quite interesting ~

Since this thread has been dormant for a while, I figured I should bump-up the rendering as well...

492905294_5b604a1261.jpg

Back