News   Sep 03, 2024
 34     0 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 344     0 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 363     1 

204 Beech - A Family's Battle to Build a Home

I highly doubt this sort of thing is unique to the Beach as a neighbourhoood - if you think this is bad, try the suburbs out - guess where you'd find the most restrictive bylaws on basement apartments, for example? Or fights over minor variances? Besides, conflating this event with hertiage preservation is somewhat disingenious.

AoD

I highly doubt this sort of thing is unique to the Beach as a neighbourhoood - if you think this is bad, try the suburbs out - guess where you'd find the most restrictive bylaws on basement apartments, for example? Or fights over minor variances? Besides, conflating this event with hertiage preservation is somewhat disingenious.

AoD

Unless there is a media conspiracy to only cover neighbour disputes in the Beech area...

the article illustrates just how involved neighbours get into other peoples business/lives/homes while ignoring their own activities (a bakary business is ok but a rental business is now???). It shows the sense of entitlement that residents have in the beech that they want to have things "their" way the rights of other be damned. Neither the family in this thread's topic nor the person in question in the quoted article have broken any laws (that I know of) and yet are harrased by nosey neighbours.

Furthermore it shows how Counciller Bussin is only reacting to those who complain and appears to act in ways that restricts rights rather than attempting to come to a reasonable solution.

What we are seeing is that this attitude seems to be endemic in the Beech.

Unless there is a media conspiracy to only cover neighbour disputes in the Beech area...

Two issues doesn't make for a systematic pattern of "entitlement" either.

the article illustrates just how involved neighbours get into other peoples business/lives/homes while ignoring their own activities (a bakary business is ok but a rental business is now???). It shows the sense of entitlement that residents have in the beech that they want to have things "their" way the rights of other be damned. Neither the family in this thread's topic nor the person in question in the quoted article have broken any laws (that I know of) and yet are harrased by nosey neighbours.

From the article, it sounded more like a spat between two neighbours than some systematic way in which neighbourhood residents gang up on an issue.

Furthermore it shows how Counciller Bussin is only reacting to those who complain and appears to act in ways that restricts rights rather than attempting to come to a reasonable solution.

Now you can't have it both ways - and while I think the bylaw is overkill, it is clear that she is just considering (not the same thing as supporting) a bylaw and expressed an understanding of the negative impacts of any such proposal. Did you miss the part where she said staff are trying to come to a solution?

What we are seeing is that this attitude seems to be endemic in the Beech.

What it would seem is that you are having preconceived notions of the neighbourhood. BTW, I know it's a bit pedantic to even mention it, but the neighourhood is called the Beach (or Beaches) - Beech is the name of the street where the original incident occured.

Now if you really want to know about some of the quirks about this community - look up the fight between the Beach and Beaches in Robert Fulford's Accidental City, and learn a bit about the history of the neighbourhood to understand why the residents as so hung up on stewardship.

AoD

Last edited:
Wow, this William deSousa sounds like a real headcase control-freak. One of those neighbours from hell that you never want to live next to. It's very telling that the neighbour on the other side, doesn't see a problem.

I just don't see how this would have much impact on the neighbourhood. It's interesting to note that there are no complaints such as noise, drugs, etc.

Back