News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 601     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really do not understand the results of this survey.

How exactly is the city supposed to make housing more affordable ? I highly doubt the folks filling out this poll are ones that are qualifying for any form of subsidized housing. So given this, again, what is the city supposed to do that is in their power ? In fact maybe they're already doing it ? I'm fairly sure many 905 communities have higher average house prices at this point, a lot of this is because "undesirable" (for lack of a better word) areas of Toronto tend to have a much lower housing costs which drags the overall average down. Make it easier to build condos ? There's really no evidence this has been able to reduce costs.

You probably should ask for an increase in crime as that'll likely make the suburbs more desirable and drive down prices further.

First, I don't want to defend a nonsense survey...........but.....

The City certainly does have options.........like Vienna it can build housing itself.

It can also choose to rent at non-profit or even a loss.......... which would obviously put pressure on private landlords, if the units were built in sufficient numbers.

Its expensive, it would not be 'free'........but it can be done.

There are other options as well, but I think the point here is identifying voter concerns.........

Like when you identify healthcare as a concern, you don't expect the premier to be your doctor, or personally recruit or pay for same.

But the province does have options to reduce wait times.

Last edited:
First, I won't want to defend a nonsense survey...........but.....

The City certainly does have options.........like Vienna it can be build housing itself.

It can also choose to rent at non-profit or even a loss.......... which would obviously put pressure on private landlords, if the units were built in sufficient numbers.

Its expensive, it would not be 'free'........but it can be done.

There are other options as well, but I think the point here is identifying voter concerns.........

Like when you identify healthcare as a concern, you don't expect the premier to be your doctor, or personally recruit or pay for same.

But the province does have options to reduce wait times.

That's fair, but realistically, do you think any of those options would actually happen, to touch on one in particular you called out:
If you include debt repayment (aka a mortgage, whether it's a city/province or end-user, this is typically a factor) and operating costs (e.g. condo fees ... really maintenance, both short and longer term) I suspect many people are just "breaking-even" who rent properties - what I mean is I challenge the notion that "no-profit" rents would be substantially cheaper if cheaper at all given building costs ... so really this would need to be subsided and we already have a scheme for that being the TCHC, so you seem to be arguing to expand this significantly. I actually have no problem with that at all, but it should not be something the city of Toronto needs to bear alone, it should be funded from the rest of the GTA, the province, and federally ... but I see no appetite for this at those levels ...

If you include debt repayment (aka a mortgage, whether it's a city/province or end-user, this is typically a factor) and operating costs (e.g. condo fees ... really maintenance, both short and longer term) I suspect many people are just "breaking-even" who rent properties - what I mean is I challenge the notion that "no-profit" rents would be substantially cheaper if cheaper at all given building costs

The City's current {and not successful) program model is Housing Now; in this model, the City already owns the land, and there is no cost for that, and only for construction; depending on how you choose to finance construction this isn't as difficult as it looks; and it really can't be compared to a retail investor in condos who is first paying a developer's mark up; who typically lacks significant scale; and then on top of that has private financing costs. Very different base model.

When I think of pressuring landlords I'm thinking of large REITS who hold tens of thousands of apartments. Now most of those don't show a nominally huge ROI either; but that's because they keep remortgaging fully paid for properties in order to buy more. If they had kept properties mortgage-free that were paid off by the year 2000, you looked at their rental revenue to cost, most are actually in a very good ROI position.

... so really this would need to be subsided and we already have a scheme for that being the TCHC, so you seem to be arguing to expand this significantly.

My preferred model is the Vienna model.

So its not like TCHC in that the government buys the land; it then eats a portion of the construction cost from cashflow on other projects; the balance is financed in some fashion, but the developments are mixed income
including market rents, non-profit rents and deeply subsidized rents, with the former generally mostly offsetting the cost of the latter.

Vienna historically used revenue from a Housing Tax as the seed capital to build public housing; which now represents more than 1/4 of all housing in Vienna. There is also tough rental regulation on a lot of the remaining housing.

I actually have no problem with that at all, but it should not be something the city of Toronto needs to bear alone, it should be funded from the rest of the GTA, the province, and federally ... but I see no appetite for this at those levels ...

While I strongly support senior levels of gov't helping out, lets have a look at some math on what's possible.

Lets assume you try for something that looks a bit like the Vienna model.

So Toronto will either use existing land it already owns, or it will go out and purchase land, probably (if they have an iota of sense) that's zoned neighbourhoods, and buy several blocks and upzone it; and then write off the land cost in any development.

So you then have the cost of construction.

For argument's sake, lets set that at 350k per unit excluding land costs and any profit.

That would mean an investment of 1B per year would produce just over 2,800 units per year. Certainly not enough, but not nothing, That's 28,000 units over 10 years; which if serving households in line with Toronto's average household size would serve ~70,000 people.

Toronto's annual budget is ~16B.

Only a portion of that is funded by property tax; but if you think of adding 1B in net new revenue; you're talking about 6.2% more than what the City takes in now.

For comparison's sake, there are roughly 140,000 cars that use the Gardiner Expressway each day, and about 135,000 use the DVP; there is some overlap, but not that much.

So lets say there are 220,000 distinct cars (guess); If you charged each a $5 toll each way or $10 daily; you would raise 2.2M every weekday, ignoring weekend revenue just for the moment; that would bring in close to 600M per year.

An all-classes property tax hike of 4% would make up the balance and you don't even need debt.

That's not to suggest this is how you would do it or should do it; I would prefer a mix of direct subsidies from the province/feds; as well as CMHC financing; but the point is that just sitting on one's proverbial hands waiting for senior gov'ts to move is not strictly necessary.

I would add, my 350k in pure construction cost is pretty high; if you're excluding financing; but I did that purposefully to low-ball what could be achieved.

Honestly, when I look at the opportunities though......I think the gov't (feds/province) should maybe look at buying a couple of the REITs outright, and then convert them to non-profit land trusts, that would shake the market quite nicely.

CAPREIT owns something like 67,000 units nation wide; at a current market cap of 8.4B; buying it out works out to $125,000 a unit; that's a pretty sweet-heart price.

Other REITs are even cheaper per unit.

Last edited:
A FB media push by Bradford:

View attachment 485158

Really? 1/2 the lighting is turned out..........and there are no passengers.........uh huh.......

Bradford's campaign feels like they're constantly throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks. Looking at his huge list of advisors, I can't help but wonder if he has too many cooks in the kitchen.

Bradford's campaign feels like they're throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks.

For a campaign that's been a dismal failure; there is only one thing to be done other than firing the candidate, and that's firing the campaign manager.

It wouldn't save anything, but it might stop adding new damage.

There is no path to victory here; nor even a path to second or third.

Put your head down, go quiet, don't blow every dollar out the door, see if you can salvage a badly damaged reputation.

New Mainstreet.

Chow - 33%
Bailao - 17%
Saunders - 14%
Furey - 9%
Hunter - 8%
Matlow - 6%
Brown - 5%
Bradford - 3%

No big surprises here, no huge moves. Looking at Quito's last effort, you see Bailao down 3.........but that's margin of error stuff; still the only other things I see are Matlow running very low, and Brown picking up a bit of steam; though too little too late to be relevant except as a spoiler of sorts.

New Mainstreet.

Chow - 33%
Bailao - 17%
Saunders - 14%
Furey - 9%
Hunter - 8%
Matlow - 6%
Brown - 5%
Bradford - 3%

If this poll is to be believed, Matlow's support has started to shift to Chow. Speaking to friends at Dundas West fest they begrudgingly have voted Chow, but we're Matlow supporters originally. I can see alot more of this happening on eday with Brown supporters as well.

At this rate will Bradford be in the top 10 at the end of this race?

Hopefully that's the nail in the coffin for his political career, but never count out a sycophant opportunist.

AoD

I wonder if he pivoted his mayoral campaign to be a love letter to the federal conservatives? It's certainly not about becoming mayor of Toronto.

Guess who keeps meeting up with CCP associated groups, even though she claims she has not ties with them

Ahhh, yes. Look who's back to beat a dead horse; especially choosing to post about it in two different threads.

For the record, Karen Wen Lin (Woods) herself has "ties" to the CCP; as a Senior Associate at lobbying firm Solstice Public Affairs who had a contract with the chinese Chinese Consulate. It's hard to find anyone prominent in the Chinese diaspora in Toronto who doesn't have some kind of dealing every once in a while with a group associated with the CCP.

We can play six degrees of Xi Jinping all day if you like. It's still not proof of anything. Meeting with local community groups is par for the course with being a politician. But will it stop you from tilting at windmills? Probably not.

If this poll is to be believed, Matlow's support has started to shift to Chow. Speaking to friends at Dundas West fest they begrudgingly have voted Chow, but we're Matlow supporters originally. I can see alot more of this happening on eday with Brown supporters as well.

Well, Torontonians have been through this before. Vote splitting gave us Rob Ford and I don't think anyone wants to risk Furey or Saunders getting in.

Prior to Chow joining the race, I was Matlow all the way. But there isn't a hope in hell he's gonna take this, so Chow it is.

Back