News   Apr 26, 2024
 549     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 397     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 584     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
0.0009% of the population last year is pretty good odds.
23 pedestrian/cyclist deaths and 77 serious pedestrian injuries last year is still way too many and shouldn't be dismissed. The good news is that improvements are being made but we have a long way to go. Let's try setting the bar a little higher.

23 pedestrian/cyclist deaths and 77 serious pedestrian injuries last year is still way too many and shouldn't be dismissed. The good news is that improvements are being made but we have a long way to go. Let's try setting the bar a little higher.
Out of nearly 3 million people. More people had adverse reactions to the Covid vaccine and we rightly point out that it's a small percentage.

Would love to see a mayoral candidate, or preferably group of candidates across the spectrum, rally together and pledge to NOT use the new ‘strong mayor’ powers unless they receive a minimum 51% majority mandate. Given this increasingly crowded field, really can’t stomach the idea that our next Mayor is likely to win a plurality with a 25% (or smaller) vote share, yet gain this kind of authority. A pro-democracy stance like this would play well with all voter bases, and demonstrate some bi-partisan leadership. Hard to see a downside.

I think Holyday can actually get elected if he campaigns well. Toronto is still a very suburban city and messages like "I'll lower your taxes", "you shouldn't have to pay for TTC service that you don't use", and "I'll get rid of all bikelines so that the traffic won't be gridlocked" could get a very significant voting block engaged.

Would love to see a mayoral candidate, or preferably group of candidates across the spectrum, rally together and pledge to NOT use the new ‘strong mayor’ powers unless they receive a minimum 51% majority mandate. Given this increasingly crowded field, really can’t stomach the idea that our next Mayor is likely to win a plurality with a 25% (or smaller) vote share, yet gain this kind of authority. A pro-democracy stance like this would play well with all voter bases, and demonstrate some bi-partisan leadership. Hard to see a downside.

Pledges are unfortunately borderline useless - they'd be out the window the moment they can get away with it.

AoD

Josh Matlow is pretty much guaranteed to run. The list of supporters includes David Soknacki, Sharon & Bram, John Sewell, along with left-wing activists like Cathy Crowe.

Yup, w/no one else w/profile running from the left; and no incumbent, the opportunity is pretty obvious.

I certainly can't commit to endorsing the grandstander-in-chief just yet; but I look forward to reading his platform. I certainly want to support a Mayor who will champion giving the City enough revenue to reinvest in a variety of basic services and to also address social ills constructively and manage a bold, aspirational gesture or two.

As a side note, Vancouver just approved its City budget, with a 10.7% property tax increase.

I offer that as an illustration of what's possible when you want to fund your priorities.

Yup, w/no one else w/profile running from the left; and no incumbent, the opportunity is pretty obvious.

My money is on local NDPers appointing a flag bearer, and Matlow won't be the one. Noticeably absent from Matlow's list of endorsements is anyone from Toronto's labour community, which is a big tell. I suspect we will find out who the "NDP candidate" is shortly.

Last edited:
My money is on local NDPers appointing a flag bearer, and Matlow won't be the one. Noticeably absent from Matlow's list of endorsements is anyone from Toronto's labour community, which is a big tell. I suspect we will find out who the "NDP candidate" is shortly.
What are the chances of KWT joining the race?

Back