News   Apr 23, 2024
 299     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 888     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 492     0 

2022 election - who is running for mayor?

Lots of purposeful confusion from RoFo. BUT... even the TTC advertised the transit city plan as "going where no streetcar had gone before" ultimately shooting themselves in the foot.
I want to say that actually wasn't the TTC that had that advertisement, it was the ATU that put those out in support of the plan, but it's been so long I may be misremembering.

Yeah, if I stopped my car in the middle of a traffic lane in a no stoping area just “for a minute” to get a coffee, you bet other drivers would get angry and honk their horns.

I don’t get this argument at all.
In my experience, if a vehicle stops in a car lane, people in cars tend to go around the vehicle, switch lanes and then return to that lane without much fanfare. There are always cars, UPS, Canada Post, vehicles in lanes parked where they shouldn't be, but we've learned to live with it, go around, find a way around, or slow down for a few minutes. What I've seen is that we generally accept more inconvenience when we are in our cars or walking on the sidewalk than when we are on our bikes. Part of it is probably because it takes physical effort/toll to stop/slow down and then pedal to pick up speed again on a bike. I cycle more than I drive (I'd love to compare my Strava with you), and this has been my experience.

Except that people in cars seem to get really angry if they are “inconvenienced” for two seconds should they be required to wait before overtaking a cyclist.

Except that people in cars seem to get really angry if they are “inconvenienced” for two seconds should they be required to wait before overtaking a cyclist.
Oh definitely. I think it goes without saying that some drivers are awful people though. That's a common sentiment in Toronto. I don't think that same sentiment exists about some cyclists, as it also should. There are shitty drivers, cyclists and pedestrians.

In my experience, if a vehicle stops in a car lane, people in cars tend to go around the vehicle, switch lanes and then return to that lane without much fanfare. There are always cars, UPS, Canada Post, vehicles in lanes parked where they shouldn't be, but we've learned to live with it, go around, find a way around, or slow down for a few minutes. What I've seen is that we generally accept more inconvenience when we are in our cars or walking on the sidewalk than when we are on our bikes. Part of it is probably because it takes physical effort/toll to stop/slow down and then pedal to pick up speed again on a bike. I cycle more than I drive (I'd love to compare my Strava with you), and this has been my experience.
When you're driving and have to change lanes it's no big deal. When you're on a bike and have to change lanes it usually means leaving the bike lane and mixing with cars. Big difference between an inconvenience and putting yourself in danger.
Oh definitely. I think it goes without saying that some drivers are awful people though. That's a common sentiment in Toronto. I don't think that same sentiment exists about some cyclists, as it also should. There are shitty drivers, cyclists and pedestrians.
Let's stop pretending that it's an even playing field. Shitty drivers kill dozens of people every year in Toronto. One mode is inherently more dangerous than the others.

Last edited:
That's the infuriating thing about cops ticketing cyclists for going 26 in a 20 zone. When bicycle collisions routinely kill or seriously harm others, I will support such OTT enforcement. Otherwise 100% of enforcement resources should be directed to poor car drivers--the type that kill people almost daily in this city.

The merits of the spa at OP is one thing; but agitating against film studios at the industrial/industrial transition portion of the waterfront? Sorry that sounds like a NIMBY bone, not a good policy.

Odd. I don't really get it. What precisely would be preferable at the Basin Street hub, next to an existing studio complex?

That location doesn't make sense for residential; I don't know why another commercial use would be any better. I suppose you could advocate for more park space, but that isn't the location I would prioritize even within the Portlands area.

Odd. I don't really get it. What precisely would be preferable at the Basin Street hub, next to an existing studio complex?

That location doesn't make sense for residential; I don't know why another commercial use would be any better. I suppose you could advocate for more park space, but that isn't the location I would prioritize even within the Portlands area.

My guess is it's an important issue/beef for his core constituency - I am guessing some of the Leslieville crowd?

AoD

That's the infuriating thing about cops ticketing cyclists for going 26 in a 20 zone. When bicycle collisions routinely kill or seriously harm others, I will support such OTT enforcement. Otherwise 100% of enforcement resources should be directed to poor car drivers--the type that kill people almost daily in this city.
My understanding is that the ticketing at High Park has been almost universally for failing to stop at stop signs, which can kill or seriously harm people. I considered hoping on my bike to go to the bike protest yesterday, opted not to. The media showed a clip of a cyclist going through a stop sign at full speed, and then receiving a ticket, and interviewed him saying somehow it was wrong for him to receive a ticket after flying through a stop sign? I worry that these protests are becoming a "let me go through stop signs without any consequences" movement, which logically is a point that no one can argue.

My understanding is that the ticketing at High Park has been almost universally for failing to stop at stop signs, which can kill or seriously harm people. I considered hoping on my bike to go to the bike protest yesterday, opted not to. The media showed a clip of a cyclist going through a stop sign at full speed, and then receiving a ticket, and interviewed him saying somehow it was wrong for him to receive a ticket after flying through a stop sign? I worry that these protests are becoming a "let me go through stop signs without any consequences" movement, which logically is a point that no one can argue.

It absolutely is a small group of cyclists who feel entitled to break the law.
They are demanding a dedicated "fast lane", banning cars so they can "train at speed", and exempting them from having to stop at stop signs.

16 tickets have been given out to cyclists. You'd think it was hundreds with the amount of noise they are generating.

It absolutely is a small group of cyclists who feel entitled to break the law.
They are demanding a dedicated "fast lane", banning cars so they can "train at speed", and exempting them from having to stop at stop signs.

16 tickets have been given out to cyclists. You'd think it was hundreds with the amount of noise they are generating.

I very rarely ride my bike on ravine trails because keeping below 25km/h is rather frustrating and I'm a new cyclist: purchased my first bike in 25 years this spring. I've started taking the GO train to Kitchener or Niagara once a week then basically ride back to Hamilton.

A 20km cycle circuit track with no speed limit, stops, or pedestrians within 20km of downtown would be really nice for a 90 minute workout.

Last edited:
I very rarely ride my bike on ravine trails because keeping below 25km/h is rather frustrating and I'm a new cyclist: purchased my first bike in 25 years this spring. I've started taking the GO train to Kitchener or Niagara once a week then basically ride back to Hamilton.

A 20km cycle circuit track with no speed limit, stops, or pedestrians within 20km of downtown would be really nice for a 90 minute workout.
And even 25 km/h is too fast. Cyclists are dangerous to pedestrians and should not share the same paths. We were once walking in Wilket Creek Park, and cyclists were passing us constantly at high speed. I had to warn my husband to walk in a straight line, it was unpleasant.

Back