News   Apr 24, 2024
 425     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 593     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 499     0 

2022 43rd Ontario general election (June 2, 2022)

This doesn't seem like a campaign announcement of a party set to win a majority.

Whatever the outcome; I feel like both the Liberals and NDP have run lackluster campaigns.

To be fair, so have the Conservatives; but when trying to unseat an incumbent government there are really two things you want..........

The first is a base desire for change; a feeling that the existing government could use replacing. There are plenty of reasons people ought to feel that way, but to the extent some swing voters
are not yet feeling that way, you want to cultivate that.

The Ford government's weak points are clearly the handling of Covid, particularly as pertains to long-term care; and failure to deliver on two populist promises from the last campaign.....
buck-a-beer and beer in convenience stores. They have lots of other problems, but running a province-wide campaign over some suspect MZOs or even 413 doesn't make sense.

I don't think 413 is a vote winner for Ford; I just don't think its a big vote loser, particularly in swing ridings, or any riding much outside the GTA.

The other thing you want in a campaign is to be the choice of people in search of change; that is to say, to have a positive message with 2-5 clear, loud commitments that resonate, and are credible.

In an election in which housing affordability is probably the lead issue, the Conservative have little in the window; there are some good policies in other platforms, but they are generally convoluted and
difficult to understand making it difficult to translate them into votes.

I'm pro pharmacare and dental care and new provincial parks among lots of other things, but its a political mistake to crowd the window with items that aren't at the top of the voters priority list;
and to do so in such a way that people are disinclined to believe these things will make a tangible difference for them.

I didn't watch the debate. How did it go?

I thought Schreiner won. He had the most insightful responses, especially, not surprisingly, on the environment and highway files.

I'd have Horwath and Del Duca second on a tie. I don't think they lost any support, but I'm not sure they gained much of a new following either.

Ford lost, but I imagine his base doesn't care.

Doug was working on a bromance with Schreiner. (Because he is no threat)
Del Duca did better than I expected

Speaking of Schreiner.........

The Greens may have a serious crack at a second seat, Parry-Sound-Muskoka.

The Libs pulled their candidate and aren't replacing them.

The PCs are favoured here.......but general consensus has the Greens in second place and in contention. No incumbent.

Poll out from Innovative shows a marginal downtown for the PCs though they still sport a comfortable lead:

1652827328447.png

Also on the projections front a very intriguing one that breaks from the crown.........Polly, the Advanced Symbolics AI program has this projection:

1652827655789.png

Not that I expect anything earth shattering to come of it; but the Supreme Court of Canada has just dismissed the Ford government's last appeal on the subject of releasing its Cabinet minister mandate letters from
4 years ago.

I stand corrected, apparently the initial information I got was wrong.

Last edited:
NDP support appears to be tanking, with the Greens siphoning off a lot. NDP are down 4% while the Greens are up 3% from the same polling firm.

I fully expect a Ford majority is locked in now (if it wasn't locked already a month ago,) but how the rest of the parties split up the vote will be fascinating.

1652968540717.png

NDP support appears to be tanking, with the Greens siphoning off a lot. NDP are down 4% while the Greens are up 3% from the same polling firm.

I fully expect a Ford majority is locked in now (if it wasn't locked already a month ago,) but how the rest of the parties split up the vote will be fascinating.

View attachment 401241

Interesting analysis on your part, I'm not sure I draw the same conclusion.

I think a plurality of seats for the PCs is by far the most likely outcome.

But their support is down marginally, and a drop of 1.2% would sink them below majority territory in my models.

The key is the space between the Liberals the Conservatives (subject to the latter being under 36.5% total), a differential of less than 4.1% put them in a minority, I believe.

So a majority is certainly a plausible outcome, maybe even the most likely, but I'm not convinced its a done deal just yet.

View attachment 401241

I expect this to be a supermajority for Doug Ford. If that is the case, I can see Andrea going but Del Duca and Schreiner staying. Del Duca is on his way to becoming a household name while Schreiner is the quintessential green party member and well liked within the party.

Andrea would be toast but the problem is there is no real candidates to replace her short of parachuting someone in from the federal caucus.

Not that I expect anything earth shattering to come of it; but the Supreme Court of Canada has just dismissed the Ford government's last appeal on the subject of releasing its Cabinet minister mandate letters from
4 years ago.

To my understanding, that means the letters will have to be released later today.

Actually NL multiple sources are saying the appeal went through. The letters wont be released until after the election which makes sense, the Supreme Court likely wants to avoid interfering in the election. They do have to remain neutral after all.

Actually NL multiple sources are saying the appeal went through. The letters wont be released until after the election which makes sense, the Supreme Court likely wants to avoid interfering in the election. They do have to remain neutral after all.

You are correct, my mistake.

The decision was due out at 9:45, I checked the Supreme Court site at 9:48 and saw only one case listed with Doug Ford as a part to the decision, released today, and it was dismissed.

I assumed, erroneously, that it was this case.

The Court was a few minutes late releasing the Ford decision at issue here.

Looking like another DoFo majority, ugh. How badly to the Liberals need to do to replace Del Duca?

Back